What's new

OHMIGOD! Coens to remake one of my favorite films! Gambit!! (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I LOVE THIS FILM!! It's been a favorite since I was a kid! I can't even express how excited I am, not least because it might actually spur someone to release the original on DVD! I've never even seen it on video, I've just taped it from late night television.
I hope I hope I hope it doesn't fall through, though I'd much rather see Clooney in the Michael Caine role rather than Hugh Grant. I'm visualizing Audrey Tautou in the Shirley MacLaine role. This is such a fun film, and if you haven't seen it before, the less you know about the plot going in, the better.
I HATE waiting for films, I want to go see this tomorrow!
Link Removed
Coens redo Brit crime caper ``Gambit''
By Michael Fleming
NEW YORK (Variety) - Joel and Ethan Coen are negotiating a seven-figure deal to write an update of the 1966 British caper comedy ``Gambit,'' which will be fashioned as a potential starring vehicle for Hugh Grant.
``Gambit'' revolves around a British thief who conspires with a beautiful woman to rob a rich guy of his expensive statue; heist is imperiled by a series of double-crosses. The original starred Michael Caine and Shirley MacLaine.
Producer Michael Lobell has been trying to get the remake off the ground for four years. The Universal Pictures project attracted strong writers, whose careers took off before they could get the script done. One was Aaron Sorkin, who signed a deal contingent on pickups of his two pilots. One was ``Sports Night,'' the other was ``The West Wing (news - web sites),'' and he never wrote a word of ``Gambit.''
The Coens sparked to the original film and, though a deal is still being finalized by their reps at the United Talent Agency, they will likely begin writing immediately.
They are set to direct their rewrite of ``Intolerable Cruelty'' at Universal with George Clooney and Catherine Zeta-Jones but must wait for Clooney to complete his directorial debut, Miramax comedy ``Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.'' The brothers are currently in theaters with ``The Man Who Wasn't There.''
There is no deal with Grant, who is waiting to see the script.
Reuters/Variety REUTERS

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Although I've never seen Gambit, this one does sound solid. It's the Coens! Of course it will be good!
Nice scoop, Vick!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I Look forward to anything the Coens do.
The Coens could remake Glitter and make it good.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
They have a Super Bowl commercial for Sunday, but I forget for what. It should be interesting.

~T

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
A few years ago, the Coens were all set to pen an adaptation of Elmore Leonard's then-current Cuba Libre, but I have not heard anything about that since. I've learned to wait for those chickens to hatch before counting. :)
Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread