*Oh Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits* coming to SACD!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Jul 16, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Sony Music's SACD web site is showing the new two-disc Aerosmith compilation Oh Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits as an upcoming release. It will supposedly be a two-disc multi-channel SACD set. No release date is given. Other SACDs appearing on this upcoming release list are as follows:
    * Lauryn Hill MTV Unplugged No. 2.0
    * Janis Joplin Cheap Thrills
    * New York Philharmonic Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra; Miraculous Mandarin Ballet
    * Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band Live In New York City
    Not bad!
    Here is a link to Sony Music's SACD web site:
    http://www.sonymusic.com/sacd/

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Thanks for the update Keith. I look forward to these. [​IMG]

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I'd get the Aerosmith greatest hits, but what ever happened to Rocks? Wasn't that supposed to be put out?

I thought the Lauryn Hill album flopped. Unless I'm wrong about that, it seems and odd choice for SACD.

I'm stoked about the Bartok release. That music is a big gaping hole in my high-res classical collection.

NP: John Coltrane and Johny Hartman, CD

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee,
    No problem. I figured you would appreciate it. [​IMG]
    Mike,
    Sony announced the release of Rocks on SACD very early on, but it never came out. Nothing has come from Sony on that one for a very long time, so I wouldn't expect it materialize. I'll take the compilation, however. I would love to hear "Dream On" on SACD.
    I am not a Lauryn Hill fan, so I have no idea if the unplugged album is good, bad, or indifferent. [​IMG]

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I've only heard Hill's first album (the one that one all the awards) once, and I remember it being rather good: solid modern R&B without all the annoying wailing that most of it has, with lots of rhythm and soul and strong melodies. I never picked it up, though, what with all the Thelonius Monk CDs and SACD classical titles I keep getting instead.
    I've read mostly bad things about the Unplugged album. Supposedly she talks a lot. But Hill fans seem to dig it.
    NP: Santana, Abraxas, DTS CD
    (Don't worry, Lee, I have the SACD also [​IMG] )

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, thanks for the comments regarding Lauryn Hill. I said I am not a fan, but admittedly, I have not listened to all her stuff. An album where she talks a lot does not sound appealing. I believe they call those "interview discs". [​IMG]
    It's a good thing you have Abraxas on SACD. If you didn't, you'd be looking for a new message board. That's one way to $hit-canned. [​IMG]

8. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I'm very much looking forward to this release. Does anyone have a release date. My original copy of the greatest hits CD (the red one with all the classics) has been scratched for years and I've tried everything to get my CD player to read it. Plays fine for Back in the Saddle and Sweet Emotion, but skips during almost every other track, including my favorite...Dream On.

I was trying to play this just the other day and was thinking about picking up the new double disk greatest hits on CD before I saw this thread.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Evan, unfortunately, Sony Music does not post release dates on the link I posted. Sony Music does have a general page that lists all upcoming releases with dates. I don't have the link nor the time right now to look for it, but if someone can find it, it would be worth checking every so often for a release date for the Aerosmith SACD set.

10. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, thanks for providing the link.
    You said:

12. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

13. Nathan_W

Nathan_W Stunt Coordinator

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, I saw your post on Audio Asylum. That's why I added a [​IMG]. [​IMG] I suspect August 3rd is a mistake. Interestingly, September 3rd is a Tuesday. Perhaps Sony meant September. However, I don't know if they announce releases that far in advance. Has Sony released SACDs on Saturday in the past? That would be odd.

15. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Nathan, I don't have burner capability on this PC. It's really friggin old. I have to upgrade completely in early 2003, but for now it's the best I can do.

Am I missing something about the August 3rd date? Granted, August 3rd is a Saturday, so something is amiss, however it says that day is for the Mini-disk release, not the SACD...or maybe I'm missing something.

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Evan, there are two discussions going on here. Sony Music posted the Aerosmith compilation as an upcoming SACD on the link I provided in my first post here. This link does not include release dates, so naturally, someone asked when the Aerosmith SACD is coming out. I then mentioned that Sony Music has a web page that provides release dates, but I didn't have the link handy. Michael helped out with the link and mentioned that surprisingly, this page shows a couple SACDs coming out on Saturday, August 3rd. The discussion then shifted away from the Aerosmith SACD over to SACDs coming out on a Saturday. No one said that the Aerosmith SACD was coming out on Saturday, August 3rd. The link that Michael posted shows Bartok and Springsteen SACDs coming out on August 3rd. For the record, this web site shows the Aerosmith compilation coming out on minidisc on July 30th, not August 3rd.

17. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

I have the regular CD of Aerosmiths latest Greatest Hits and I must say the first disc material from the '70s sounds outstanding.

One track I have noticed missing though from their Greatest Hits compilations is Train Kept A Rollin. They should include this one.

Any chance the Oh Yeah Ultimate CD will be released in DVD-A too?

18. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

sony doesn't do dvd-a...yet

19. Jerry Hostler

Jerry Hostler Stunt Coordinator

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, Sony co-developed SACD with Philips and is exclusively pusing SACD as a high-resolution audio format. Don't expect to see Sony do anything with DVD-Audio anytime soon.