Oh yeah!!!!! 8" Dayton Parts Express sub finished!!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by SteveSpoon, Mar 1, 2005.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

Overall, pretty pleased with my first attempt at building a sub enclosure from scratch. Plans were simple using butt joints, glue, and nails.

The reason I built this enclosure (and will be building an identical one here in the next couple days) was to get some experice before putting my 12" Dayton DVC project together.

Don't know if this pic will turn out, but will give it a shot. Thanks for all the advice on this project.

Steve

[​IMG]

2. SteveSpoon

Sorry.........might take me a couple shots at getting this picture thing right.

Steve

[​IMG]

3. SteveSpoon

And here's a pic of the "dinosaur" equipment.

Yamaha T-80 tuner
    DBX noise reduction thing a ma jiggy
    Nakamichi RX-505 cassette deck
    Sony cd player
    Yamaha GE-60 equalizer
    Yamaha C-80 preamp
    Yamaha M-80 amp

Then to the right:
    Technics SA-810 (for sub amp)
    Yamaha DSP-E492 processor

My home theater stuff is downstairs, but like to have my "dinosaur" stuff cranking upstairs!!

[​IMG]

Steve

4. SteveSpoon

I do, however, need to figure out how to drive the sub correctly. My Technics SA-810 receiver (which I'm using as the sub amp) will shut off after a while of driving the sub.

The sub is a 4 ohm unit, while I think the receiver may not like that type of load. What can I do to correct this problem?

Also, I'll be building another sub just like this one so the receiver will be driving two at a time.

Thanks for any help.

steve

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

When you build a second one, you could wire them in series creating an 8 ohm load. Is that the 8" DVC? You could just run one coil if that's the case (8 Ohm).

Wait a minute.. are you only driving it on one channel? That might be part of the problem as well.

Nice job, BTW. How do you like the sound?

What sort of finish is that?

6. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

That subs looks great.
    BTW, that Yammie M-80 may be old but by no means is it dinosaur equipment. I'd put it up against any sub $1000 stereo amp currently on the market.

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Might wanna do something about that nice looking 'V' pattern on your equalizer there [​IMG]

Nice sub, hows it sound?

8. SteveSpoon

I like the sound. My plan, or what I wanted, was some type of "mid-bass", since I already have enough high quality Jenson subs (the Technics receiver and DSP-E492 are sitting on top of it) sitting around. Also, when I get the 12" Dayton DVC up and going with the 250 watt parts express plate amp, should have all sorts of low bass. The sub doesn't really give me the sound I was shooting for (believe the DSP-E492 only sends signals that are 200 HZ or lower to the sub), but has been a real good learning experience for me.

Anyway, I constructed the little sub using 3/4" MDF and simple butt joints, glue, and nails. Covered with Parts Express cherry vinyl (per the recommendation of someone on this board [​IMG] ). I really like how it looks. I think next time, however, rather than "wrapping" the vinyl all the way around the sub, I'll just make individual cuts for each side since it's hard to make a 90 degree corner with the vinyl and keep it tight to the MDF.

Sub is a simple 8" Dayton (believe it is actually made by Eminience, or however you spell it). It's not a DVC.

So do you think the 4ohm load on one side of the receiver is making the receiver shut down? I'm still not sure how to remedy this problem.

Steve[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. SteveSpoon

And one more thing............I just knew I was going to take some flak for how my equalizer was set up [​IMG] ......I use to have a microphone for the equalizer, but I've since lost track of it.

How can I set my equalizer up correctly? Thanks again.

Steve

10. Jason Fulton

Jason Fulton Agent

Get a radioshack SPL meter, its like 35-40 bucks, get a cd of test tones with tones at each frequency your eq can adjust. Play each tone and record the level, and then adjust them flat. Most people will not like a dead flat reponse, so a smiley face may be possibly (increase low end gradually, increase high end gradually)

11. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Now that I think about it, using one channel should be okay. It's probably the 4 Ohm load that's causing the amp to be overdriven.

About the only thing you could do is to put a 4 Ohm resistor in series with your sub. This will damp your sub somewhat, but should provide enough load to keep the Technics happy.

12. SteveSpoon

How do I put a 4 ohm resistor in there? Just go down to my local radio shack (while I'm in there getting my SPL meter [​IMG] ) and just pick up a simple 4 ohm resistor?

The Technics seems to have plenty of power to drive the sub, so sure would like to get it figured out. I'm going to go down to my local radio shack and see what they say as well.

Steve

13. SteveSpoon

Well, the guys down at Radio Shack were basically clueless. Not much help.

Although I was thinkin', why can't I just build that other sub like I was planning and just hook both subs up on the same circuit? Hook the positive of one speaker up to the negative of the other?

Would this give me an 8 ohm load? Thanks.

Steve

14. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

"Radio Shack: If you've got questions... that makes two of us" [​IMG]

Something like this is what you're looking for:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...rtnumber=004-4

Wire it in series with the positive terminal your driver either directly on the driver or with your speaker wire.

15. Conor

Conor Auditioning

Very Cool, Im planning on building a sub soon. I shall have to check out partsexpress.com

16. SteveSpoon

Thanks Dave..........your observation of Radio Shack was pretty dang funny!! Thanks for the laugh!! [​IMG]

I'll go back down to Radio Shack and see if they have that particular resistor; if not, I'll order a couple from Parts Express. Plus, I'm sure I can find something else to help fill the air in the box!! Never know when one may need a spare 12"DVC sitting around!!

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Steve

17. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yeah Dave, great dig at Radio Shack. Gotta remember that one! [​IMG]

Problem is, if you put more than 10 watts into your sub that resistor will fry. You’ll need a high-powered resistor rated for the amp’s output – 50 watt, 100 watt, etc. I can’t find any on Parts Express’ website, but you should be able to find them at a local electronics hobby shop.

That said, it may not be necessary to add a resistor. Most old stereo receivers can handle 4-ohm loads. Not to mention, a 4-ohm direct voice coil load is typically easier to drive than 4-ohm speaker. All those crossover elements make for a more complex load.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

18. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

You're welcome... but I can't take credit for that line... it's been a running gag here in the DIY section for a while.