What's new

oh why not....THE ABYSS (1 Viewer)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Avatar was a poor film well made. Perhaps he wants to create a world to populate with more sequels/prequels etc, a bit like Lucas has done with Star Wars. The problem is you can dilute the material too much and end up diminishing previous good work (Star Wars). Of course if Avatar 2 isn't well received, its game over for that.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Remember, though, that Avatar was rooted in ideas he's had since he was a teenager. It's deeply personal for him.

I'd argue that The Abyss falls into that category as well. Cameron has always been in love with the sea and with diving, and The Abyss ties into all of that in spades. Heck the first Avatar sequel is, by all accounts, going to be set largely underwater on Pandora. So the question is, why would he abandon something that at one time WAS experimenting with pushing the technology and working on something that he loves and is passionate about? It makes no sense to me, when with relatively little effort on his part Cameron could give his fans what they want. It's bizarre.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
He has yet to make a true stinker and you know that you're always going to see something made with obsessive attention to detail and design.

PIRANHA II: THE SPAWNING, anyone? :wacko: But I agree that, since then, he has not directed a stinker.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Slow down there, hoss - I wasn't encouraging Cameron to keep "TL" on the shelf!

Just speculating why it might be viewed as more problematic than "Abyss" and why Cameron might be less enthusiastic about it.

"Censored"? Where did I encourage THAT?

Never said you said. My comment was strictly directed at the suggestion True Lies is not PC friendly. That's an opinion. One shared by many, though not by all - hoss!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I'd argue that The Abyss falls into that category as well. Cameron has always been in love with the sea and with diving, and The Abyss ties into all of that in spades. Heck the first Avatar sequel is, by all accounts, going to be set largely underwater on Pandora. So the question is, why would he abandon something that at one time WAS experimenting with pushing the technology and working on something that he loves and is passionate about? It makes no sense to me, when with relatively little effort on his part Cameron could give his fans what they want. It's bizarre.
While true that The Abyss certainly helped feed his passion for underwater exploration, it was also a pretty bad experience for everyone involved, unlike Avatar, so I can see why it might not be on the top of his list of things to revisit.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
PIRANHA II: THE SPAWNING, anyone? :wacko: But I agree that, since then, he has not directed a stinker.
To be fair, that was his full feature film directing debut so I'm sure he wasn't in the position to deny the old proverb "beggars can't be choosers".

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, probably...plus, he was actually a co-director. I bring up the title from time to time just to be a jerk. :)

Cameron also apparently had very limited control over the production. He took over as director when the producer fired the original director, and the producer still basically ran the show.

"P2" is a "Cameron movie" in the technical sense but it's such a compromised production that it doesn't really count...

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I'd argue that The Abyss falls into that category as well. Cameron has always been in love with the sea and with diving, and The Abyss ties into all of that in spades. Heck the first Avatar sequel is, by all accounts, going to be set largely underwater on Pandora.

Perhaps this is the tie-in.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I mean, Kubrick's first film, Fear and Desire, is... not great. Everyone has to start somewhere!
People ought to look at the director greats from prior years and their first films. Yikes! Directors like Spielberg and Tarantino are not the norm when it comes to making quality if not great films at the start of their careers.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
…...hummmmmmmmm. There is probably a next to none chance of THE ABYSS being announced for blu ray by year's end, huh?....Well maybe next year.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
So last years its coming at end of the year, which has come and gone was just another James Cameron, full of True Lies. Nice trolling James Cameron. I ain't holding my breath for it up rise up from the dark Abyss and see the light of 4K on the surface.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
So last years its coming at end of the year, which has come and gone was just another James Cameron, full of True Lies. Nice trolling James Cameron. I ain't holding my breath for it up rise up from the dark Abyss and see the light of 4K on the surface.
Andy Su, father of Sooty?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have been watching this DVD for sometime now and can not wait for the 4K UHD Blu-ray to be released! One of the things I am wondering about if the title will have a Dolby True HD audio track or a DTS-HD Master Audio track or will they create a Dolby Atmos track for this title? The Abyss and True Lies are titles that will get added to my 4K Blu-ray library as soon as they are released!

20160729_191318.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks