What's new

oh why not....THE ABYSS (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The 4K T2 is only the theatrical and apparentLy it was scrubbed of all grain and fine detail.
Was the extended cut of T2 completed on film? That could be a reason for it not getting a 4k release.

The "Special Edition" of The Abyss was completed on film. There is a negative and prints were even made. It should be easier to get that into 4k.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not to be overly cynical, but even if a new scan/transfer is being done, that doesn't automatically mean it's going to be released on disc.

Well, that tweet does also specifically hashtag Blu-ray (2x), so... but whether there will be a 4K (HDR) UHD disc release is another story... even though it did also hashtag 4K and HDR...

_Man_

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Was the extended cut of T2 completed on film? That could be a reason for it not getting a 4k release.
I believe the liner notes for the Extreme Edition stated that a new IP of the Special Edition was struck for the purposes of that transfer or something to that effect.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
So, I guess yet another year goes by without an ABYSS Blu-ray. So many thanks, Mr. Cameron, for stringing us along all this time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
We know that it was recently rescanned in 4K and that Cameron supervised a color correction session earlier in the spring.

That work didn’t get done for nothing but it appears to have finally been done. It seems likely that it will be released at some point, but given the current state of physical media, Disney may be waiting for an event to tie a release into.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I started collecting DVDs in my senior year of high school, and continued to collect them throughout college, which, in retrospect, was not the smartest idea since at the end of every school year I would have to pack up boxes and boxes of DVDs to either send home or store with family who lived near campus. And yet I don’t regret collecting these DVDs because it gave me a valuable resource and a way to dive into movies. The age of DVDs was a bit of a renaissance for film fans since A) we finally got our movies in the correct aspect ratio as opposed to the days of pan-and-scan on VHS; B) there could be a wealth of special features that sometimes functioned like film school in a box; and C) there was an easy way to share movies I loved with friends.
https://collider.com/why-you-should-keep-buying-blu-rays-and-dvds/

[MOD: added link to article and reduced to a quote.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
We know that it was recently rescanned in 4K and that Cameron supervised a color correction session earlier in the spring.

That work didn’t get done for nothing but it appears to have finally been done. It seems likely that it will be released at some point, but given the current state of physical media, Disney may be waiting for an event to tie a release into.

Oh, shit...that's right...it's with Disney now.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't think it matters. If Cameron wanted The Abyss released, then The Abyss would get released. He's been playing this stupid game for years.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it matters. If Cameron wanted The Abyss released, then The Abyss would get released. He's been playing this stupid game for years.

I agree that it's absurd Cameron has kept "Abyss" in limbo for so long - it's been 20 freakin' years since its last home video release! - but I can't figure out why he'd want to keep it that way.

"True Lies"? I can understand why he might want to sweep that one under a rug. It wasn't very PC 25 years ago, and I doubt its attitudes have aged well.

But off the top of my head, I can't think of any compelling reasons Cameron would want to "hide" "Abyss"...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think it’s much more simple than that. Cameron doesn’t spend a lot of time looking back. While the world has gotten increasingly more comfortable with rewatching the same material over and over, Cameron has spent the last decades largely isolated from the rest of the film community and the world at large, both with his scientific expeditions and his singular focus on Avatar.

I don’t think he’s trying to suppress anything.

I just don’t think it’s anything close to a priority for him and he is either unaware of or unconcerned with fan reaction otherwise.

T2 has a 3D conversion because the company that owns it saw a market for one in Asia, and Cameron (not controlling the rights) was told it was happening on their time frame with or without him. Better with so he played along. Titanic is his prestige picture and as a 3D enthusiast it was a passion project to demonstrate that a 2D film could be converted to 3D at a quality higher than believed at the time. There’s no similar force at work compelling him to do The Abyss or True Lies, the studio won’t do it without him but aren’t gonna force him, and it’s not the business it once was.

To me, all of that sounds both simpler and more likely.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think it’s much more simple than that. Cameron doesn’t spend a lot of time looking back. While the world has gotten increasingly more comfortable with rewatching the same material over and over, Cameron has spent the last decades largely isolated from the rest of the film community and the world at large, both with his scientific expeditions and his singular focus on Avatar.

I don’t think he’s trying to suppress anything.

I just don’t think it’s anything close to a priority for him and he is either unaware of or unconcerned with fan reaction otherwise.

T2 has a 3D conversion because the company that owns it saw a market for one in Asia, and Cameron (not controlling the rights) was told it was happening on their time frame with or without him. Better with so he played along. Titanic is his prestige picture and as a 3D enthusiast it was a passion project to demonstrate that a 2D film could be converted to 3D at a quality higher than believed at the time. There’s no similar force at work compelling him to do The Abyss or True Lies, the studio won’t do it without him but aren’t gonna force him, and it’s not the business it once was.

To me, all of that sounds both simpler and more likely.
I agree, I don't think Cameron looks back much to his work and is more consume with future projects that's more interesting to him.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
"True Lies"? I can understand why he might want to sweep that one under a rug. It wasn't very PC 25 years ago, and I doubt its attitudes have aged well.

If we're only going to release 'PC' friendly movies to home video from now on it's going to be a very short list indeed because everyone can find something offensive to carp about. Movies are cultural artifacts of their time and SHOULD NEVER be censored. Period! So, bring on True Lies. It's a fun actioner.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If we're only going to release 'PC' friendly movies to home video from now on it's going to be a very short list indeed because everyone can find something offensive to carp about. Movies are cultural artifacts of their time and SHOULD NEVER be censored. Period! So, bring on True Lies. It's a fun actioner.

Well, the final half-hour or so are pretty spectacular. I didn't much care for anything prior.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Slow down there, hoss - I wasn't encouraging Cameron to keep "TL" on the shelf!

Just speculating why it might be viewed as more problematic than "Abyss" and why Cameron might be less enthusiastic about it.

"Censored"? Where did I encourage THAT?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Waiting for this release has turned into its own abyss.

Last edited:

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Which is why he's decided to devote the rest of his life to making sequels.
Remember, though, that Avatar was rooted in ideas he's had since he was a teenager. It's deeply personal for him. Also, those films afford him the opportunity to experiment with pushing the technology of filmmaking farther than it has gone before, which is another passion of his. While I really hope we can get The Abyss sooner, rather than later, he's working on what he loves and has the money and caché to be able to do whatever he wants, for as long as he feels it will take to meet his very exacting standards. I always look forward to a James Cameron film. He has yet to make a true stinker and you know that you're always going to see something made with obsessive attention to detail and design.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks