Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The actual transfer was done several years ago and has been circulating on premium cable channels like HBO and Showtime. It looked pretty great; I can’t imagine that it would need anything more than a tweak here or there to be ready for disc.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If it never gets released, I’ll make do with the HD copy on my DVR. I’m glad it was at least on cable in HD - so much better looking than the old DVD.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I suspect that they’ll include both; they did that with the DVD, and the Blu-rays for Cameron’s T2 and Aliens include both versions.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The 4K T2 is only the theatrical and apparentLy it was scrubbed of all grain and fine detail.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If it never gets released, I’ll make do with the HD copy on my DVR.

Can you actually save something permanently on your DVR? Mine has a setting for "Save for one year," but I almost always end up losing stuff sooner or later.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t want to jinx it but it’s been there for a few years. Mine has two save settings: “Save until space is needed” or “Save until deleted” - I have it on the latter setting.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The actual transfer was done several years ago and has been circulating on premium cable channels like HBO and Showtime. It looked pretty great; I can’t imagine that it would need anything more than a tweak here or there to be ready for disc.

Could it be a brand new scan?

No idea, except for the 4K HDR hashtags, so it's certainly not just exactly what was released to HD cable several years ago me thinks.

Either way, 4K HDR would probably be extra nice (assuming no botched job) after not even having it on anamorphic DVD forever now...

Still, I would want all diff versions released, not just Cameron's preferred cut (unless that's now diff from the old DVD and LD perhaps). Honestly, I don't really care for the overly preaching (and abrupt) alien ending and what feels like overly long/slow pace for that version, especially given that ending.

Now, if only he'll also get to True Lies this year too...

_Man_

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
This is an immediate -“I almost don’t care how much it costs” - purchase for me (even if I get the honor of reviewing it) I adore this film for so many reasons that I’ll save for the official review :)

And I sincerely hope the extended version is available as that’s the best version of this terrific film.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Could it be a brand new scan?

No idea, except for the 4K HDR hashtags, so it's certainly not just exactly what was released to HD cable several years ago me thinks.

I agree. I don't see why Skip would include the #4K, #HDR and #remaster hashtags if it isn't a brand new scan.

I'm pleased I was able to stay alive long enough to be within tasting distance of having 'The Abyss' in 4K HDR on my library shelf (and in my player). :dance::banana::rock::dancing-banana-04:

Mark

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The 4K T2 is only the theatrical and apparentLy it was scrubbed of all grain and fine detail.

Didn't the "T2" 4K use the same master created for the 3D version? I thought they scrubbed that one of grain for 3D exhibition and then those "sins" ported over to the 4K...

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Didn't the "T2" 4K use the same master created for the 3D version? I thought they scrubbed that one of grain for 3D exhibition and then those "sins" ported over to the 4K...
I think so. Mind you, Cameron also scrubbed most of the grain from Aliens, but that still managed to retain a film-like appearance.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Not to be overly cynical, but even if a new scan/transfer is being done, that doesn't automatically mean it's going to be released on disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks