What's new

oh why not....THE ABYSS (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Does Cameron truly believe that after all this time, the public is clamoring for 4 Avatar sequels? [yup] One would have been fine, but not four! Insane.
I think it all hinges on the second one. If that's a hit then the public will be on board for three more after that and they will all be hits. If it's a dud, Fox is going to damn near go bankrupt from all the money they're spending on four movies.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
come on Dick, you know you want to see another "real" Conan film with Arnold a squeal to the original film, directed by Cameron
You keep saying squeal and another autocorrect typo makes it a little tough to follow what you're getting at.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
Does Cameron truly believe that after all this time, the public is clamoring for 4 Avatar sequels? [yup] One would have been fine, but not four! Insane.

Precisely! :thumbsup:

You keep saying squeal and another autocorrect typo makes it a little tough to follow what you're getting at.

I manage to decipher the 'squeal' typo, but I also struggled to make sense of that post.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Literally it has been 10 years since I have watched my DVD of THE ABYSS, I hopes that a widescreen, superpicture, edition be released. Do you feel that this might happen this year, or should I cave in and watch my old Fox dvd?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Literally it has been 10 years since I have watched my DVD of THE ABYSS, I hopes that a widescreen, superpicture, edition be released. Do you feel that this might happen this year, or should I cave in and watch my old Fox dvd?

At this point, none of us can predict when or if The Abyss will make it to Blu-ray or UHD. With James Cameron being tied up with his Avatar sequels and the heyday of physical media in the past, it seems more unlikely with each passing day. I'd say, if you love the film and want to watch it, the DVD is going to be your best bet for now, at least if you want to watch the extended cut. There is an HD transfer of the theatrical cut out there floating on the 'Net, but it's not ideal. Cameron has said that a 4K scan has been done of the negative, but that has been a while and there hasn't been a peep about it since.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
At this point, none of us can predict when or if The Abyss will make it to Blu-ray or UHD. With James Cameron being tied up with his Avatar sequels and the heyday of physical media in the past, it seems more unlikely with each passing day. I'd say, if you love the film and want to watch it, the DVD is going to be your best bet for now, at least if you want to watch the extended cut. There is an HD transfer of the theatrical cut out there floating on the 'Net, but it's not ideal. Cameron has said that a 4K scan has been done of the negative, but that has been a while and there hasn't been a peep about it since.
Just what we need ...Avatar sequels.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I’m looking forward to them. Cameron has never let me down.

I'm actually looking forward to them, too. I've never understood the backlash against Avatar. Is the story structure original? No, but lots of stories share a similar framework. It's the details that make the difference and I found Avatar to be imaginative and incredibly entertaining. I'm with you: The only feature film directed by Cameron that isn't great is Piranha 2 and he was simply a Director-for-Hire on that; not to mention it was his first film. He's only directed eight feature films (that aren't documentaries) and seven of them have been solid. I mean, I wish he had not decided to seemingly spend the rest of his career making Avatar sequels, but I'm still looking forward to Avatar 2.

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
The true tragedy here is that somehow Piranha 2 is getting a Blu-ray release before The Abyss.

But now that Fox has announced their support for HDR10+, we can assume that they have their UHD plans all sorted out and that there are no more remaining barriers to getting this thing released on UHD ASAP, right?

RIGHT???

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The true tragedy here is that somehow Piranha 2 is getting a Blu-ray release before The Abyss.

I'm pretty sure that's only because Cameron isn't planning on making any more films for Roger Corman nobody at whatever company owns Piranha 2 is worried about pleasing ol' Jimmy.

It is a shame, though.

JoeDeM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe

But now that Fox has announced their support for HDR10+, we can assume that they have their UHD plans all sorted out and that there are no more remaining barriers to getting this thing released on UHD ASAP, right?

RIGHT???

The real wild card is Disney, now that they own Fox, I just hope that we finally get this release, before I'm too old to care.

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
The real wild card is Disney, now that they own Fox, I just hope that we finally get this release, before I'm too old to care.

They don't own Fox yet and not likely for another 18 months (pending DOJ approval for the merger), so both companies are still operating as separate entities. If Disney acquires Fox before The Abyss gets a release, then I fear there will be even less chance of seeing it on BD/UHD, as Disney seems to have the least interest of all studios in getting catalog titles on disk.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Possibly. Because at least Paramount is starting to license out the more obscure stuff to labels like Kino. Disney will license out stuff that they've acquired but not stuff they've produced, so if you ever want a classic Disney 50s or 60s live action title on BD, for instance, you're just not likely to ever get it.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually looking forward to them, too. I've never understood the backlash against Avatar. Is the story structure original? No, but lots of stories share a similar framework.

Avatar was reeeeallllyyy derivative. I didn't care much for the evil white man concept and the concept of a mindless killer military force.

And honestly if earth was truly dying and to save it we, yeah, possibly had to wipe out another species to insure our own survival is that really a moral dilemma? I say no. Might not be pleasant, but when we're talking about the survival of the human race, smurfs are expendable.

As for Abyss and True Lies. I'll bet whatever release may have been planned is now being held for the release of the next Avatar movie (moviecash promotion, sticker on the front saying "from the director and writer of Avatar 2" and all that)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I find Cameron becomes a little less interesting with every film he makes. Despite its limitations, the first Terminator remains for me his crowning achievement. Avatar worked on the level of pulpy, Tarzanaesque adventure story, but by the end, he was even ripping himself off. I suspect he may be one of those filmmakers - like Lucas and Bogdonavich - whose wife (Gale Ann Hurd) was instrumental in getting the best ideas out of him and telling him what to jettison.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
And honestly if earth was truly dying and to save it we, yeah, possibly had to wipe out another species to insure our own survival is that really a moral dilemma? I say no. Might not be pleasant, but when we're talking about the survival of the human race, smurfs are expendable.

Well, I think that's why it's a dilemma. Others, myself included, would say that it's important to try and find solutions that are mutually beneficial rather than to assume a kind of manifest destiny that says humanity can take what it likes in order to meet its wants or needs. Cameron is simply using Science Fiction to tell a story that resonates because there is precedence for it in our own history. I think he did a great job. It's okay if you don't. Tastes are up to the individual.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well, I think that's why it's a dilemma. Others, myself included, would say that it's important to try and find solutions that are mutually beneficial rather than to assume a kind of manifest destiny that says humanity can take what it likes in order to meet its wants or needs. Cameron is simply using Science Fiction to tell a story that resonates because there is precedence for it in our own history. I think he did a great job. It's okay if you don't. Tastes are up to the individual.

I guess I should have qualified my statement more. Sure it's always better to try to arrive at a diplomatic solution and that violence should only be used as a last resort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks