What's new

oh why not....THE ABYSS (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Well it’s *great* that we will finally be getting an upgraded iteration of "The Abyss" (perhaps 1st QTR 2017?), but I wish somebody had asked him about "True Lies" as well.

With any luck, perhaps they will be doing both at the same time!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Same here, but news that a 4K wet gate scan has been done is certainly promising.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
October of this year? That seems awfully soon for there not to have been any official announcements of anything. Of course, I would absolutely love to see it on the big screen again and especially in 3D. The Titanic conversion is probably the best conversion of a 2D to 3D movie ever, so I'm excited to see how they do with T2.

Yes, this year (according to Variety. Funny that you mentioned TITANIC as the same article mentioned a theatrical re-release of TITANIC 3D but no ETA. .

Last edited:

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Just for the record, and maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought Cameron's wording wasn't so much that he preferred the pan-and-scan version, it was more that he was saying he was happy with it.
He says in the notes in the box set that he is proud of the pan-and-scan version and "believe it to be superior in many ways to the letterbox, due to the poor resolving power of NTSC video". At the time, I think most people skipped that qualifying last part.

Of course, much has changed since '93.

Good to hear about some movement on this film.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
4K version of the 'The Abyss' is coming in early 2017 (per James Cameron):

“We’ve done a wet-gate 4K scan of the original negative, and it’s going to look insanely good,” Cameron said. “We’re going to do an authoring pass in the DI for Blu-ray and HDR at the same time.”

He said to expect that some time early next year.

Source:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/j...tails-on-an-abyss-blu-ray-release-1201821558/

Mark

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
From a different site but that was posted a couple posts back.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
For what it's worth HDnet is showing a great looking HD theatrical widescreen version right now,

It'll be on again late tonight.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm so desperate to watch the long version I might break out the dvd.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
James Cameron was asked again & said this so not looking like 2017 now for either title. Also Terminator 6 was confirmed with Arnold returning again in either a new film or new trilogy with Cameron involved to some extent as the rights revert back to him soon.

TheArnoldFans: We seriously need that True Lies blu-ray!

"James Cameron: "I’m working on that. The True Lies Blu-ray and the Abyss Blu-ray have sort of fallen off my to-do list, getting one, not two, but four Avatar sequels stood up and going. But now that that has happened, I can actually take care of business. So yes, that is coming."

http://www.thearnoldfans.com/news/2...ys-stay-tuned-to-t6-for-arnolds-human-ch.html

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I'm totally going to forget about these movies by the time they're released. And I have no interest in Avatar now that it's been a bazillion years since the first came out.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm totally going to forget about these movies by the time they're released. And I have no interest in Avatar now that it's been a bazillion years since the first came out.
I'm not really excited about Avatar sequels either and I don't think the majority of people are BUT when trailers start coming out, I think that disinterest is going to turn completely around.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed

a bazillion years, meaning under a decade at this point.

Look at the next highest grossing films after those directed by James Cameron. Star Wars: The Force Awakens. A decade elapsed between that and the previous Star Wars film. Jurassic World: 14 years after JP3.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
forget Terminator, if Cameron wanted to blow everybody's mind he would do what he did so well before, a squeal to a film he did no direct, like Aliens, only this time we still need Arnold, and that film is King Conan: Crown of Iron, that that seep in.........

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
forget Terminator, if Cameron wanted to blow everybody's mind he would do what he did so well before, a squeal to a film he did no direct, like Aliens, only this time we still need Arnold, and that film is King Conan: Crown of Iron, that that seep in.........

Huh?

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
James Cameron was asked again & said this so not looking like 2017 now for either title. Also Terminator 6 was confirmed with Arnold returning again in either a new film or new trilogy with Cameron involved to some extent as the rights revert back to him soon.

TheArnoldFans: We seriously need that True Lies blu-ray!

"James Cameron: "I’m working on that. The True Lies Blu-ray and the Abyss Blu-ray have sort of fallen off my to-do list, getting one, not two, but four Avatar sequels stood up and going. But now that that has happened, I can actually take care of business. So yes, that is coming."

http://www.thearnoldfans.com/news/2...ys-stay-tuned-to-t6-for-arnolds-human-ch.html
Does Cameron truly believe that after all this time, the public is clamoring for 4 Avatar sequels? [yup] One would have been fine, but not four! Insane.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks