What's new

oh why not....THE ABYSS (2 Viewers)

Douglas-M

Auditioning
Real Name
Douglas
Fans may already know this, but a new HD, original aspect ratio version of The Abyss has been on HBO since the end of December. Spence Nicholson (Producer) tweeted that this comes from the new 4K transfer (it streams in HD but not 4K on HBO).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yeah, well, I've given up on seeing a Blu of THE ABYSS. I'm actually going to re-buy the DVD, which I dumped ten years ago because I was so sure this would get be upgraded. Tired of being led on like a sucker year after year with hopeful intonations from Cameron that he'll finally tackle this. I no longer trust the man. He should run for office.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Fans may already know this, but a new HD, original aspect ratio version of The Abyss has been on HBO since the end of December. Spence Nicholson (Producer) tweeted that this comes from the new 4K transfer (it streams in HD but not 4K on HBO).
I don’t suppose the HBO version is the extended cut?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Is the new transfer available via HBO Now? I just watched the preview trailer on HBO Now's site and it is horrible (same sucky DVD quality image we all know and hate). I may renew my HBO Now subscription just to watch the film but I don't wish to reactivate it if the version that will be streamed is the sucky one.

Mark

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I don’t know why it’s wouldn’t be the same version on all platforms.
I access using Hbo Go and it looks great.

Also the trailers are usually not that great looking sometimes with an older movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don’t know why it’s wouldn’t be the same version on all platforms.
I access using Hbo Go and it looks great.

Also the trailers are usually not that great looking sometimes with an older movie.
Many trailers don't match the quality of the actual movie as they are older trailers.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I renewed my HBO Now subscription and watched 'The Abyss' tonight. It mostly looked very good but there were a couple spots where the image seemed excessively soft. One spot in particular made me wonder (for a second or two) if the stream quality had somehow dropped to standard def.

Overall, very satisfying but, boy, do I much prefer the extended edition. The theatrical cut's ending seems fairly weak by comparison.

Mark

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I've surrendered all hope of ever seeing either The Abyss or True Lies make it to Blu-ray. It's like the original Star Wars trilogy or Song of the South in hi-def. Good luck with that!

I never parted with my tired old DVD transfers of either of these Cameron classics, but frankly, they are unwatchable on my 4K set, looking just awful. So, what's the point? Hollywood's track record with preserving their past is spotty at best. With each passing year, the light dims a little more that any of our revered golden memories will find their way back into our hot little hands, even if they remain perennial favs and fondly recalled in our hearts. How sad!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Seriously this thread should be permanently locked at this point. Its just a cockroach offering false promises that go nowhere.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’m wondering if an HD or UHD version would expose some of the magic of the film? I’m thinking mostly of the underwater folk.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Well, I found out that THE ABYSS is on Amazon Prime Video now. The description says it's in HD. I put it on thinking it would be the new HD master that aired on HBO recently. THEY LIED. It's an old 4:3 SD print. The nerve. I assume if Cameron had made this HD master earlier, Amazon would have used it. It just felt weird watching it; almost like watching an older DVD ported from a laserdisc master. It didn't have to look this way.

BTW, the cut I watched was the theatrical version.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Well, I found out that THE ABYSS is on Amazon Prime Video now. The description says it's in HD. I put it on thinking it would be the new HD master that aired on HBO recently. THEY LIED. It's an old 4:3 SD print. The nerve. I assume if Cameron had made this HD master earlier, Amazon would have used it. It just felt weird watching it; almost like watching an older DVD ported from a laserdisc master. It didn't have to look this way.

It's SD, 4x3, and mono! Not quite the ideal way to view it.

Reactions: PMF

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

That's TRUE LIES you might say!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks