"Oh, What a Lovely War! - Paramount

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Greg_M, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Is the Paramount film "Oh, What a Lovely War!" destine to be lost forever in oblivion?

This film has become a cult favorite and surprisingly so since in the U.S. it opened in only a few major cities and has never had a network television broadcast (though Bravo cable ran it a few times in the late 90's) Most people have never seen, or even heard of the film, since it has never been released on home video. A PAL taped broadcast VHS goes for high $$$'s on Ebay on a regular basis.

A "High Brow", British satire on War with songs. "OWALW" was directed by Oscar winner Richard Attenborough and features an all star British line up including: Laurence Olivier, Vanessa Redgrave, John Gielgud, Susannah York, Maggie Smith, Ralph Richardson and John Mills among others. The film received glowing reviews [​IMG], from most New York critics and won the Golden Globe for best English Language Foreign Film in 1969. [​IMG]

It was also nominated for Best Picture for the British "Oscar". An expensive color film, shot in 2:35 OAR, it was praised for it's cinematography, so the film should look beautiful on DVD.

A friend lent me a Pan and Scan taped copy. It has now become a favorite of mine. Paramount puts out beautiful DVD's, but since few people have heard of the film I doubt they will ever release it, and since it is rarely screened It is almost impossible for any one to discover this film.

Anyone else want this film? Is there anything which can be done to get this film out?

2. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Of course, that brings us to the other paramount musicals - Half a Sixpence, lil Abner, On a clear day You can see Forever.
    Meanwhile, Paramount announces its releasing such goodies as Joseph Andrews - has anyone even heard of that film? Does ANYONE CARE? I just don't get it!!

3. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Well, these musicals, however good anyone may say they are, all bombed in theaters, and the ones released to laserdisc sold poorly. That's why they aren't coming to DVD very quickly, but apparently, Paramount is testing the waters with Scrooge, coming to DVD in time for Christmas. If it does well, who knows what musicals could come next?

4. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

Actually, Joe Caps, I'm probably the only one who actually wants a widescreen copy of that Ann-Margret/Peter Firth film, JOSEPH ANDREWS. based, iirc, on a novel by Fielding, the source for TOM JONES.
    Ann-Margret is the appropriately named Lady Boobie in this one.
    A film that is quite on the mark for a period comedy.

I will second the noms for the Paramount musicals which we are lacking, though.