What's new

Oh, those silly record companies (So much for new copy-protection) (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Absolutely. But that means the content doesn't suck FOR THEM, which renders the "I don't wanna buy a CD I don't like" defense moot. If they truly were after the "one or two songs" they claim to like, they'd either buy the single, or tape it off the radio, or tape it off the TV, and make themselves an MP3. If I despise Creed but like "Arms Wide Open," (WHICH I DON'T! Wouldn't want anyone thinking I like Creed ;)) I can either buy the single or create a lower-quality MP3 from a radio recording. No need to rip off the entire album.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Mike, I beg to disaggree with you. The artist's cut is so small that it's hardly relevant. A boycott would hurt the labels, the executives...so be it. It may come to that. It maybe the only thing that can get these people's attention.

Their gouge prices are a huge factor, but the whole market has changed. People want downloadable music and if the labels don't provide it at low, reasonable prices, the amount of boot-legging is going to explode to levels they can hardly imagine. That's why they're trying to sieze control of the PC and A/V equipment market, they do have some imagination.

A digital war is going to happen. The big five want to force the market rather than serve it. This is going to go way beyond just CD's. Digita TV will be the big battle that will engage everybody. Afterall, CD's & records are a teenage phase, supposedly. That TV "window" really hits home with a really large number of people. The big five thinks we're all a bunch of milk cows....

R we going to allow ourselves to be herded? Not I said the cat!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Is sound quality ever an issue in this debate, though? Just a thought.

The boundaries set forth by populist sentiment are clearly drawn. But it seems as if the idea of high fidelity was lost in the noise long ago.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ricardo, if I want a song, then of all the options you described, I think downloading it is the easiest. Cheaper than buying a single (who even buys singles anymore?), you don't have to sit around and wait for the radio to play it, and you already get it in mp3 form.

Jack, sound qualiy is most certainly and issue. You can complain all you want about how CDs are mastered, but it still sounds better than mp3s.

NP: Miles Davis, Cookin', SACD

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ricardo:

Most people download SINGLES - 1 or 2 songs from an artist. Why? Because it's not worth it to buy an album for 1-2 songs.

Remember that people still bought vinyl, and religiously when good ALBUMS came out, even though they could tape them fairly easily.

Nowadays you have throwaway pop music that has 1-2 hits and that's what people are downloading. People are NOT downloading entire Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears albums.

I still maintain that good quality and content CDs, coupled with reasonable prices ($10-$12) will make the casual downloader go back to buying good quality CDs.

There will *always* be those unscrupulous kind who refuse to pay for any music, and no amount of anti-piracy is going to stop those people.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Carlo: I hope that's the trend with the majority of the people who download songs. I know this kid who loves to brag about how all he spent on CDs was whatever he spent for the CD-Rs he used to burn his downloaded files. It pisses me off. He's in college, has a broadband connection, and all he does is download music.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I have merged the two identical topics into one thread, and ask posters to pay attention when starting a new thread.
PLEASE
DISCUSSION OF SPECIFICS ON HOW TO DEFEAT COPY PROTECTION, AND LINKS TO SAID INSTRUCTIONS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THE HTF.
WE HAVE BEEN VERY LOOSE ABOUT ALLOWING DISCUSSION OF COPYPROTECTION FORMATS AND HOW THE AFFECT THE BUSINESS, ETC--- HOWEVER, POSTING SPECIFICS AND LINKS HAS TO STOP, OR ALL RELATED DISCUSSIONS WILL HAVE TO BE REMOVED.
THANK YOU
-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks