What's new

Oh, those fads in modern English speech. (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Isn't Stella Artois a girly drink?

They made a big splash when they debuted at the Calgary International Film Festival a couple of years ago. I never seen so many attractive females drink so much beer in such a short time. It was swell. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Since I'm not working in Sacramento, I'm not a girlie-man -- at least according to the prevailing logic up north.

But Stella, which was introduced to me by a woman companion and co-worker that Saturday evening, certainly took to the brew like the proverbial fish. Man, she held her booze well.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Do not let the Stella or the Artois part of Stella Artois fool you. It is far from a wine cooler or Mike's Hard Lemonade. If you're a man and you're drinking one of those, or an Ultra anything, you're a girl. "Not that there's anything wrong with that" :)

Stacey_B

Second Unit
Since I don't swear, I've had to come up with a few choice cliches of my own over time. I don't think anyone else actually uses them though!

Schnazzzzy

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Indeed. With regard to computer programs, wasn't abbreviating the year what got us into the Y2K mess in the first place.

Paskootlemeisters.

Steve Kuester

Second Unit
Anyone else like to use the phrase "the cat's ass"?

As in, "This thread is the cat's ass."

I hear chuckles whenever I use it, but I feel like I've known (and used) it for 15 years.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

No but I've come across Brits using (albeit on a mailing list) "this is the dog's bollocks", or "the mutt's nuts". Curiously from what I can tell, if something is "bollocks" it's crap, but if it's "the dog's bollocks" it's good.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
The first time I heard the phrase "Somebody dropped ass in here", to describe someone letting out a fart, I almost died laughing.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Yee-Ming, you worked it out correctly.

"This is bollocks" is saying something is crap, while "This is the dogs bollocks" is saying this is great.

I think it may have something to do with how long a dog can spend cleaning its balls.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I'll take nine eleven over nine one one. How the hell did that moniker become popular/common?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I don't find it all that objectionable. After all, how many people say "television" instead of "TV"?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

LaMarcus, I had a similar reaction when my friend said "Don't go down that aisle, I just crop-dusted down there."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks