What's new

Oh, the frustration of trying to find SACDs and DVD-Audio discs in stores. (1 Viewer)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Another thing that still surprises me at this late date of SACD/DVDA is that even the clerks who work at Radio Shack have no idea about Multi-Channel.

I went to a local RS this week to get more A/V cables and they looked dumbstruck when I mentioned why I need 4 boxes of cables. They had no idea what even a SACD was. And this is a store that sells Home Theater stuff.
It is all very discouraging. It seems that the only people who enjoy SACD/DVDA are us few nuts here at HTF.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Keith, isn't Deleware just north of the Bermuda Triangle?;) Acoustic Sounds and Elusive disc sure are prompt on shipping, but it would be nice to get more discounted discs at Busted Buy. I've been droping by BB looking for them to get STRANGE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC in again. Not! I'll proably mail order it if it doesn't show up soon. I was in Circuit City too recently and they didn't have it either. Local impulse buying is fun. It's a shame it's so hard so many places! Best wishes!:)

KrisM

Second Unit
All you guys complaining about SACDs should try finding a decent selection in Canada. It is horrible up here. It is October and I still can't find the Stones SACDs in any stores. I couldn't even find a store that knows what I am talking about until last week. Even that was a high-end store with a snobby salesman who said there was no way they would sell for less than $30.00.
As far as mail order goes, getting something shipped is not worth it with taxes,duty,exchange etc.
The only good side to this is with a poor selection I have tried some differnt artists and found some new favorites. I bought Mingus Ah Um and listen to it alot. I even recorded a CD copy for my truck.

Regards
KrisM

NP - Steve Earle compilation

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tom asked:
I've been droping by BB looking for them to get STRANGE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC in again. Not! I'll proably mail order it if it doesn't show up soon.
Grab the phone or start typin'! Sorry, but that's the sad truth with Best Buy and SACDs.

Ron S

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, this is too weird! The ONE place I didn't get to go on Saturday to look for hi-res music was Best Buy. This was mainly from skepticism from many previous experiences that they would have *anything* hi-end in HT/Audio. On a lark, decided to try them out on the way home today. Jackpot! TONS of Sony SACD titles, although from my research online, they were mostly the recent releases. Trace of Telarc titles. Hoped in vain to try and pick up a straggling forgotten copy of Billy Joel's The Stranger. Their selection in DVD-A was pretty nice, as well. All at 17-18 bucks a pop.
Laf, hadn't seen your post regarding the AIC title. I honestly don't know why the stereo track doesn't sound as good to me :frowning: Possibly the range is too deep for my Norhs to try and keep up, even with an SVS supporting cast. Gloria Estefan's greates hits on stereo only sounds fantastic. Also might have something to do with the Norhs. They reproduce vocals (particularly females) with amazing clarity. Am debating wether to upgrade (and what TO upgrade to), but will post that in the speakers area.
Mike said:
If you are referring to an SACD of Rocks, there is none. There was one planned or rumoured, but that never happened.
Nuts. There goes the fantasy:frowning: Did see it on a list somewhere. Probably from a "planned" release list. Guess I'll just have to settle for the "hits" ;)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ron, as I have said, Best Buy has been doing a good job lately of getting in new Sony SACDs. Unfortunately, they don't restock anything. So, you've got to be quick to get what you want. You snooze, you lose! :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
What makes Best Buy more frustrating is that it can be tough to find high-res titles on their web site. There have been titles that I know I've seen in the store but couldn't find on the site.

KrisM, how did you burn a CD copy of a single-layer SACD?

NP: Jimi Hendrix, Electric Ladyland

KrisM

Second Unit
Mike,
I use a Pioneer cd recorder for making cds, not a computer burner. I know it goes through a digital to analog back to digital conversion, but considering the average sound quality of my truck's stereo, I can't really tell the difference compared to a regular cd.
If Sony is insisting on not using the hybrid feature to their(and basically our) advantage, I think I should be able to make a copy for portable use. At $30.00CDN per SACD, I don't think I should have to shell out another $15.00 to $18.00 for a cd copy.
As far as recording Mingus Ah Um, it wasn't easy. Better Git It In Your Soul had the sound level meters all over the place. What a power house tune!:D
Regards
KrisM
NP - John Coltrane - Ole

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kris said:

As far as recording Mingus Ah Um, it wasn't easy. Better Git It In Your Soul had the sound level meters all over the place.
I hear you. We've all become spoiled by the convenience of recording CDs to CD-Rs, CD-RWs, minidiscs, or DATs in the digital domain. I never liked recording cassettes in the old days because of the trial and error in getting the levels right. I have considered recording SACDs to CD-Rs just to see how the CD-Rs would compare to pre-recorded CDs, but recording in the analog domain is just too big a pain. I would have to record to a CD-RW a few times to get the levels right through trial and error and then record to the CD-R.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Hi Keith, so Deleware is where they keep all the missing planes and ships, eh?;) I sure don't have any trouble recording in the analog domain, mostly on MD, but sometimes to CD. Why can't you set your levels in pause and watch them through the demanding passages and then enguage number one.:alien:
The MD's I make from records often times sound way better than commercial CD's, which is a reflection of how bad some of them, the CD's, are. Pick a really rotten sounding CD like...Neil Young's Self-titled album. No wonder he hates CD's(!), this album was dynamite on vinyl, it's awful what the CD mixers did to it! :rolleyes:
I took a perfect copy of the record and made an MD that blows the commercial CD away. Analog recording is nothing to fear! Fear rises up out of the ocean or Deleware and snatches you for alien sex crimes! Best wishes!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael asked:

Why can't you set your levels in pause and watch them through the demanding passages and then enguage number one.
I certainly can do that, but when recording to cassettes, I got into the habit of recording a portion and then listening to be sure I liked the setting before copying the entire album or song. Of course, it's been a long, long time since I recorded to cassettes, so I am a creature of habit in recording to CD-Rs and CD-RWs.

NP: Amanda Marshall Everybody's Got a Story CD

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ah, thanks Kris.

I guess I'm just lazy or a sucker, but I just buy the CD version of something on non-hybrid SACD. On the bright side, most of these albums I already have on CD before the SACD comes out and I never listen to classical outside of home anyway.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike said:

I guess I'm just lazy or a sucker, but I just buy the CD version of something on non-hybrid SACD.
Same here. For nearly every SACD I own, including hybrid discs, I have the standard CDs for the car and office. I don't like carrying hybrid SACDs around because I don't want them to get scratched. There are just a couple SACD titles that I don't have on standard CD yet, but I am working on it.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
For hybrids, I just burn a copy. I keep my entire CD collection as MP3s on a big ol' hard drive, so I can always just burn CDs with the music. But I don't even have so many as to make a difference.
Though I am eagerly awaiting those Analogue Production SACDs in the mail... :D
NP: Camel, Snow Goose

I guess all places are different, but I have had no problem whatsoever finding DVD-As or SACDs here in Greensboro, NC. Of course the only store to have a good selection is Best Buy, and they always have the new releases, mostly on release dates. If they don't have them on release dates, they at least have them during the first week of release. (The reps at CC don't know what the heck either format is, and they only carry SACD, not DVD-A).

When the Rolling Stones SACDs came out, Best Buy had at least 16 of the 22 releases. Sorry to hear of your troubles finding the titles, I know it's much more fun to find them in the store than it is to order online.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael said:

Best Buy, and they always have the new releases, mostly on release dates. If they don't have them on release dates, they at least have them during the first week of release.
Yes, but Best Buy does not restock SACDs. They typically get just two copies of a new SACD title, and once those two copies are gone, that's it. I have seen that at a number of Best Buy stores in Delaware, Philly, and New Jersey with every new SACD title released over the past six weeks or so. Also, Best Buy has never restocked the original stereo SACDs it received.

Keith,
Honestly, every SACD that the local Best Buy here sells is replaced. Every single one. Could just be a lucky store. Whatever amount sells of a title, whether it's one, two, etc.., that exact amount comes back in to replace it.
In the past couple of months, more and more titles from Telarc and other non-Sony labels have made their way in until now the SACD rack is too full. And each of the recent releases (going back a couple of months) have been on the exact release date.
Springsteen & E Street Band-Live in New York
Aerosmith--O yeah
James Taylor--JT
Janis Joplin/Big Brother
Billie Holiday--Lady in Satin (MCH)

Just a few, there are more. Also, the new DVD-As of Alanis Morrisette, Jackson Browne, etc.. will be in on Tues. the 15th. Unfortunately, it seems REM's AFTP has been pushed back.
So, I feel for you and others who have difficulty in getting new titles on the 2 formats, but just wanted to let you know in some places things are running a bit more smoothly. HOpe there's better luck for you down the road.
By the way, Greensboro is not even a big city, only 225,000.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, that's amazing. The Best Buy stores in my area have gotten the handful of Telarc SACDs that many folks on Audio Asylum have reported seeing in their locales. Other than those few titles, the only SACDs my local Best Buy stores have gotten are Sony titles and the Stones discs, the latter of which, of course, are located in the CD section. As I said, the Best Buy stores in my area have gotten the newer Sony SACDs that you mentioned at the time they were released, but unfortunately, these stores don't restock them. The thing is that Best Buy has good prices on SACDs, and there is no sales tax in Delaware, so I love buying SACDs at my local Best Buy stores. However, I feel like I have to buy every disc the minute I see it on the shelf because it's a one-time opportunity. It's ridiculous. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks