What's new

Oh, Rapture! Ren & Stimpy are back! (1 Viewer)

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
Let me start with the fact that I've always been a huge R&S fan.

I watched the first episode and it is nowhere near as funny as the old shows. The voice for Stimpy sucked (BW's voice for Stimpy was soooo much better). John K. may have done the original voice for Ren, but I thought it sucked as well. I don't think I laughed once. I agree with the idea that with the limitations of the old show they had to be more creative. I hope they put the old shows out on DVD so I can remove the new show from my memory.

For the people who liked the new show more power to you, just didn't seem at all funny to me.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I found a few things in the new show funny. I don't get all this Gay crap and Homophobia. Ren is a Dog and Stimpy is a Cat. I'll accept Interspecial relationship maybe.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I have no problem with the Gay stuff as I'm a pretty liberal dude. Plus, I think that people are taking it too seriously. I tend to think that it was just part of the random humor that has always been associated with R&S. It may never make another appearance.

The gross-out stuff went a little too far. While I thought the rat's ass joke was funny, the subsequent shot of Stimpy with poo on his mouth took it over the edge. Most of the jokes started out funny and then took the extra leap to gross.

I still found the episode to be pretty funny and look forward to more shows.

Can I just say, though, that TNN airs WAAAAAYYY too many commercials. The show was terrible disjointed because of this. It was especially noticeable during the "Classic" show at 11:30. SPACE MADNESS should have no break in it. It ruins the flow. They need to air them like Nick used to, with a full segment, commercial, and then another segment. The commercials alone made me turn off the tv and SPACE MADNESS is my favorite episode.

I only watched about half of GARY THE RAT. Not that funny. I refuse to watch STRIPPERELLA on general principles and hope that Stan Lee can find something better to do with his time.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Amen on the TNN commercials critique, holy god there were a lot of them! I sure hope they release R&S on DVD soon.

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, what utter garbage.

What made the original incarnation of the show unique was that it was a perverse premise stuck in the guise of a kid's cartoon. That contrast made for some great viewing if you were able to acknowledge that.

Now that they're no longer tethered by network standards - I guess their only threat is being pre-empted by "RealTV" - and allowed free rein, the charm is gone. Ren and Stimpy eating vomit is entertainment? Arguing over who takes it in the ass is entertaiment? Whatever.

You can't go home again.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
While I agree with some of the critisism with the show, I do think there was enough funny moments to keep it entertaining... plus I also hope that they were getting some of the gross out humour out of their system. Hopefully there will be some classics to come... perhaps is Commander Hoek and Cadet Stimpy make and appearance.

Let's just remember that not every episode from the original was a classic either. There were some that I found less entertaining than this one.

I also hope they find room for some of the in between shorts like Log and Powdered Toast Man that were in the old shows.

Best line... "You always give your house a goodbye kick in it's ballsack when you move... every body knows that"

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Let's just remember that not every episode from the original was a classic either. There were some that I found less entertaining than this one.
I forget the title, but the one where they go to the zoo pretending to be monkeys. That was pretty horrible, and almost every bit as disgusting as this new episode was :)

For me what sells Spumco's humor is the facial expressions. They can do some really puerile stuff but the way the characters look while doing it makes me laugh my head off. There was a scene in the Ripping Friends show depicting a constipated cat forcing out a crap that literally had me ROTFL just by the way his face and body were contorting :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm just happy to see Ren and Stimpy period. I went through all of junior high and most of high school without even the Nick episodes.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
If they were trying to induce "Shock Humor" they succeeded.

If they were trying to make an episode that wasn't funny, they also succeeded.

Eating someone else's phlegm for 10 minutes was just stupid... (not funny).

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I'm glad to see Ren and Stimpy back under John K's control. That being said, I was amazed at how far the show went. I wasn't offended by the 'pitcher and catcher' stuff, and laughed at Ren in the pitcher's uniform.

And while the show on Nickelodeon certainly had its fair share of grossout humor, I liked the fact that it was one element that made the show work - but not the only element.

Plus, I'd like to see if any of the supporting characters show up on the new show. Powdered Toast Man, Log (from Blammo), Muddy Mudskipper, and Mr. Horse all come to mind.

I'll be tuning in weekly to find out.

Brenton

Screenwriter

Same here, but as soon as they hopped under the sheets, it crossed the line into "no longer funny".

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
This week's Ren and Stimpy was better, but still not great. Ren dressing like Mickey, Mr. Horse the psychologist, the gun in the Bible and the French-kissing dogs all were very funny. I thought the whole animal cruelety story was mildly funny at best and the end was way too much, though.

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
agreed this week was better and if it keeps getting better what more could be asked for

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I personally laughed my ass off at this weeks episode, hilarious.
The disgusting humor was still present of course but at least it was more along story related grossness as apposed to just simply snot & poop jokes for the sake of snot & poop jokes, clearly John K. is trying to take Ren & Stimpy more into the area of "Adult Humor" (hence "adult cartoon swim" eh?) but like JakeR I just wonder if that will take away from what it was that made the original Ren & Stimpy so interesting to begin with..."Oh my god, this is a kids show...how can they do that!?!".

Time will tell but have to admit that I did laugh quite a lot at last night's show.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
The commercials alone made me turn off the tv and SPACE MADNESS is my favorite episode.
>>>

But, but, but... the TV Execs think you tune in TO watch the commercials, to hell with the shows they put on between them!

I completly forgot about the show, but from what I've read, I didn't miss much. BTW, who owns the rigths to Ren and Stimpy DVD releases?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I don't like the 4 act structure all of TNN's animated shows seem to have. You get commercials every few minutes.

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit
Crap! I just noticed that at 11:30pm next Thurs. TNN is showing the old eps. Did I miss one last Thurs.?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks