What's new

Oh, Rapture! Ren & Stimpy are back! (1 Viewer)

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
My mini-review/ impressions:

It has potential. At first, I hated the idea that there wouldn't be two segments, but if this first episode is any indication, it's set up in the exact same style as the previous series. Also, the animation and music is exactly as I remember it, as is the style of writing. While this episode wasn't great, I think it had some funny moments. Specifically, I liked the ending, as well as the opening that took place inside the guy's mouth.

My biggest complaint with the episode is that it lacks restraint on John K.'s part. It sounds strange, but I think Nick is part of what made the original so funny. For example, Nick wouldn't allow John K. to use the word "booger" in the original series, so he invented the phrase "Magic Nose Goblin". Magic nose goblin is much funnier than booger, yet he wouldn't have come up with that phrase had Nick not balked at the word "booger".

The gross-out humor has been taken a tad too far. It needs restraint. The parts that I really didn't like about the episode was the gross-out humor that was taken too far: Stimpy kissing a rat's ass and getting crap on his lips as a result, Ren and Stimpy eating vomit and boogers, etc. Oddly, I'm comfortable with the gay stuff. It was hinted at in the original show, and it's not really the basis of too many jokes in this episode (two by my count). But the gross-out humor needs to be toned down some.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I agree with you Scott, except that unlike you I'm not comfortable with the gay stuff. I could handle the vague hint in the old show, but what I saw tonight was just too much over the top for me and I was not entertained. Everyone else can keep watching if they want to, but I won't. My TiVo season pass is deleted.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
It was the same as the old episodes, but very different. The animation, as always, is the best part. Tonight's episode was hilarious, I thought. IMO, the main point against it was the lack of suggestive nature. It was funnier when the humor was subliminal. To sum it up, "magic nose goblins" are funnier than "boogers."

I thought the dinner table manners was the funniest part. Perhaps because it was the first episode, they had to make a point of being blatently foul. Now that they have gotten that out of the way, perhaps they will ease up.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well i thought it was too over the top too.
but maybe they were just trying to get it out of their system. we'll see.

anyone else dissapointed the first old ep wasnt the unedited big house blues the very first origional ep?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was pretty good. Not a great Ren & Stimpy episode but it got better as it went along and I was laughing pretty hard by the end. I also liked that they kept the original opening for the show :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
DAMMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I missed it. Are they repeating them.

"big house blues"

Still my favorite Ren & Stimpy episode

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
anyone else dissapointed the first old ep wasnt the unedited big house blues the very first origional ep?
Well they have to establish that it's a new show. Otherwise people would just tune in, see that it's the same thing and switch the channel. Next up is an old episode that was banned outright, Man's Best Friend.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Next up is an old episode that was banned outright, Man's Best Friend.
Oooh. I have a bootleg of this one but, being a bootleg, the quality sucks, and I don't own a VCR anymore so I can't watch it anyway. It'll be great to actually see this one on tv.

"You're next, Meester Doggie Treats!!!" :D

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Uh.. It's not on Adult Swim. TNN repeats the "Onward and Upward" episode at 11:30PM tonight and then at 12:30 AM Tuesday morning (but it feels like Monday night :)).

Regards,

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
argghhhh.....I'm not sure what to say here.

First it was difficult to get past the over ambiguous hint that ren and stimpy are gay. Once they established that they were gay right at the beginning of the show, I just could not get into the premise. The gross out humor was way over the top and really not funny IMO.

I agree that the restraint Nick put on the original show is what made it funny.

The end of the show with ren and stimpy under the covers reminded me of watching one of those x-rated cartoons that would have mickey and minnie mouse having sex.

The show was disappointing.

I'm not sure how TNN is going to spin the show. The first network for men. I was assuming the demographics of men they are going for were the guys who want explosions every 2 minutes and gratuitous shots of gyrating women on the beach in thongs. I can't believe those type of men would want to watch this show.

Paul

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I also think the show needs a little restraint, I was prepared for some pretty vulgar stuff but it was so over the top that it seemed like an extended Hustler strip...or maybe something worse like..Swank I guess. ;)
It was pretty damn funny though and I was so happy to hear the old Dog Pound Hop title music but if I could say one thing to John K. it would be to remember that just because you finally have the freedom to do a show of never ending poop & fart jokes that doesn't necessarily mean that you should.

Pull back on the reigns just a tad.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well they have to establish that it's a new show. Otherwise people would just tune in, see that it's the same thing and switch the channel.
huh?

so if the ran big house blues at 1130 people would think it's the old show and not tune in again?
but running another old show at 1130 doesnt cause this to happen?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The show as funny, but the restraint is what made the old ones so damn funny. But it was nice to see John K back on the show.

Also, at 1130 last night after Striperella they reaired Classic Ren and Stimpy. They showed one of my favorites, Space Madness. God I love that one.

"You cant have my ice cream bar!"

Dan B

Screenwriter
I was a bit disappointed in the first episode. I do hope that it was partly a "get it out of your system" sort of unveiling & the other episodes will not be so blatant in the gross-out humor...which, as others have said, takes away from the funny!

BTW, they played "Man's Best Friend" the other night on that show from the Playboy Mansion & it was hilarious. Lots of ultra-violence.

Ren losing his temper = funny.
Ren "doing" Stimpy = not funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks