What's new

Oh, Rapture! Ren & Stimpy are back! (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Where do you get this dish that Billy West stabbed John Kricfalusi in the back? The only copy that I ever heard was that Nickelodeon was pisses off at Kricfalusi for several of the more controversial episodes and that they either fired Kricfalusi or he walked. I've not heard about the whole Billy West drama.
Link to this story please.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Graeme in regards to the clips....
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
WOW! Looks like John Kricfalusi really does have full reign.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i got to see those 2 clips.

wholly mackerel.
"your the pitcher i'm the catcher"
so, no ambiguity anymore it seems.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if Billy had any involvement in the actual firing of JohnK (the story on another part of the site I'm about to link to makes it out to pretty much Nickelodeon's doing and Bob Camp was more of just a backstabbing oportunist rather than orcestrating the firing), but as mentioned, he did seem to take much of the credit for Ren's voice afterwards.

"The characters of Ren Hoek and Stimpy have their origins during John K.'s very earliest days in Los Angeles working for the Saturday Morning animation mills. Bored with the vapid fare Kricfalusi was drawing, he would doodle his own characters and run around the studio performing improvised stories. Many of which he would later pitch to most of the TV and film industry had their origins in this, including a psychotic Chihuahua and a blissfully stupid cat... Soon he was doing a creepy Peter Lorre voice and acting out insane scenes with the chihuahua character."

"The voice of Ren is really the voice of John K., John K. is Ren. Though originally Billy West, the voice of Stimpy, was going to read both roles, the Nickelodeon originated sticture against doubling-up kept him from taking the role. For all of the first season and most of the second Ren was voiced by his creator John K. John K.'s Ren was based on Peter Lorre, Burl Ives and his hero Kirk Douglas. "It's me doing my impression of peter Lorre," Says John, "people think there's mexican in it, there's not supposed to be." After the firing Billy West took on both roles. "He did me doing Peter Lorre," Says John.

Years after Nickelodeon fired John K. and Spümcø, Billy West went on 'Late Night with Conan O'brien.' There was no mention of John K., Billy didn't even credit him for creating the show, getting him his break or originally doing the voice of Ren. When asked by Conan what his inspiration was for Ren's voice, Billy without a blink recited the "Peter Lorre, Kirk Douglas blah blah blah" line, not once even mentioning John K. And even taking credit for Ren's voice."

From http://victorian.fortunecity.com/rus...5/rsorigin.htm

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Yes, West totally took credit for creating Ren's voice afterwards. He implied through silence in interviews that he was the creator of the voice, and never mentioned John K. (who did the voice much better).

The best part was when John went on the Howard Stern show in the mid 90s', when Billy was a regular member of the show. John called him on the carpet and tore Billy to shreds for his deception, and the usually verbose Billy couldn't come up with a single word in his own defense.

If I were John, there is no way in hell I would hire Billy back for the new show, and I guarantee you that Billy knew he would not be asked and knew why.

He's had a good career, and I like him in Futurama (he wasn't so hot in Space Jam IMO), but I don't trust his ethics.

The new clips are hilarious, and the new Stimpy voice does a much better job than West did imitating John K. as Ren.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Holy crap! That's some raunchy stuff! lol.

I never saw Ren & Stimpy like that. I don't remember the show being like this.

Is this how the new show is going to be like?

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I never saw Ren & Stimpy like that. I don't remember the show being like this.
That sort of stuff has always been implied, but Nick tended to force them to cut it down. We should be seeing more in the original uncensored episodes. Anyway, looks like with this new series it's becoming much more explicit.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
As far as the true backstabbing at Spumco is concerned, here is a page that pretty much gives the whole slimy nasty history....God I hate Nickelodeon & Bob Camp after reading this.
Billy West wasn't much mentioned in the articles but rather than "back stab" I think he really was just hogging the spotlight...not an unknown thing for "performers" to do IMO. ;)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
There was definitely a drop in the quality of the episodes after John K left.

It was obvious they were struggling without him.

Very cool news:emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i was wondering how tnn has the rights to the chatracters now. didnt john k sell that to nick?

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, and Nick is owned by Viacom, which also owns TNN. John K. doesn't have the rights to the characters.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Is this going to be on starting on Monday? None of the listing for (what apparently will remain) TNN indicate it will be on. Does anyone know what times?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The Pitching and Catching begins tonight!

Don't forget to wash where the sun don't shine.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It was ok; fascinating for the surreal factor only Ren & Stimpy can generate. That said, I enjoyed Gary the Rat and Stripperella far more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks