1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Oh, Rapture! Ren & Stimpy are back!

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by JeremySt, Jun 5, 2003.

1. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Saw an add on TNN that Spike TV will have all new episodes of Ren and Stimpy by the original creator! Not to mention re-runs of all the classics. Also, given the networks non-children programming, they intend to have episodes that are true to the original Spumco adults only humor.

Dont you know cartoons will ruin your mind?[​IMG]

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    http://www.thenewtnn.com/shows/animation/

Catch your old pals Ren & Stimpy along with two great new animated series debuting on Spike TV. Starting June 26th, get animated with Ren & Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon at 10pm ET/PT.

a quote from john k. on that web site.

"ren is still an @$$#OLE and stimpy is still retarded."

3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Yessssss!

Of course, this is TNN, so expect an annoying banner at the bottom of the screen. Still. YAY!!!

4. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    Happy, Happy! Joy, Joy!

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    actually, i think john k was the original voice. Billy west just took over after a while.

6. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    john k was the voice for ren. west was the first stimpy voice.

as west took over for both voices after john k was fired or left i doubt that billy will be back on the show.

7. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Well since Futurama's demise I would think that West would appreciate the work. [​IMG] I'm sure he has other things on his plate...still a shame though.

8. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I wonder if there are plans for Season Box Sets? I have about half of the episodes on tape, and some are pretty worn. (I recorded them when they were first aired!) I'll be setting the timer on my PVR for the new ones for sure.

9. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    found this article on the tv guide website. its outdated, but has interesting info. You have no idea how happy this makes me!

REN & STIMPY, UNCUT
    Classic Cartoon Gets a New Life on TNN

By J. Max Robins

The Ren & Stimpy Show, the hit cartoon that helped put Nickelodeon on the map, is going back into production, according to industry sources. TNN has ordered new episodes of the adventures of Ren, a churlish Chihuahua, and Stimpy, his naive feline friend. In addition, TNN has obtained rights to 52 episodes of the show that ran from 1991 to 1995.

To create the new episodes, TNN is expected to bring back series creator John Kricfalusi, whose sophisticated animation broke new ground — and whose gross-out humor predates Comedy Central's South Park. Kricfalusi had an acrimonious split from Nickelodeon in 1992 after clashing with management about the cartoon's content. (The network kept the show because Kricfalusi had sold it the characters.) The episode that reportedly put Nickelodeon brass over the edge — they refused to run it — was entitled "Man's Best Friend." A cult classic in the animation underground, "Man's Best Friend" introduces the character George Liquor, who submits Ren and Stimpy to a sadistic training course, which ends when Ren beats George to a pulp.

"It's one of the most violent and hilarious things ever done," says Billy West, the voice of Stimpy as well as Ren for a time (Kricfalusi did the Chihuahua's voice before he left the show.) "Now that the show's on a channel not aimed at kids, it may finally be seen."

According to TNN sources, the network plans to run "Man's Best Friend" as well as restore deleted footage into other Ren & Stimpy originals. As for Kricfalusi, a TNN spokeswoman confirmed that the network "was in discussions" with him about doing new episodes but would not discuss any of the details. Kricfalusi declined comment.

TNN has chosen Ren & Stimpy as the anchor of a prime-time animation block slated to launch in early 2003. Among the other cartoons that are likely to join it: Gary the Rat, about a lawyer who is turned into a 6-foot rodent, and Stan Lee's Stripperella, whose title character is a stripper who becomes a superhero in the after-hours. Frasier's Kelsey Grammer will voice the rat. Pamela Anderson will bring the stripper to, um, life.

TNN's interest in animation is part of an evolution that began in 2000, when Viacom took control of the channel and changed its name from the Nashville Network, programming country-music videos and Hee Haw reruns, to the National Network, showing everything from Star Trek: The Next Generation reruns to the WWE.

"We're the network of the WWE," says a TNN insider. "So why not Stripperella and Ren & Stimpy uncensored?"

10. Michael St. Clair

Billy West helped Bob Camp and some others knife creator John K. in the back. Not just that, but they ruined the show.

I wouldn't let that jackass anywhere near new R&S production.

11. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I remember seeing Billy West on some talk show not long after John K. was kicked out and I was amazed to see Billy West talking about how HE was the one who developed Ren's voice. It was like they were pretending that John never had anything to do with the show at all.

Hopefully the ratings on the new show will be good enough that TNN will be convinced to do dvd's. My old tapes are also pretty worn [​IMG]

12. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Despite whatever happened in the past, it will be just as wrong hearing someone other than Billy West do the voice of Stimpy as it was hearing Billy do his Ren imitation.

Still, I'm quite excited about the new shows.

13. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

14. Graeme Clark

Eric Bauza, who did some work and voices for The Ripping Friends, is the new voice of Stimpy.

There are a couple clips of the new show available at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/motlos/files/ If that's Eric doing Stimpy's voice... then I don't have much to complain about.

15. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    You are not authorized to view this page.

i get that when i try to open the clips.

16. Graeme Clark

You may need a yahoo account.

17. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    i have one but when i log in it says you are not a member of that specific yahoo group. "motlos"

18. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Billy West is the Mel Blanc of our times. Don't be hatin'.

19. Michael St. Clair