What's new

Oh-o (1 Viewer)

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
SVS is causing some unhappy neighbours. Got my PCi replaced by PC Ultra and after swapping in new amp (thank you SVS for fast service) was finally able to give it a test drive. Put in LOTR:ROTK and started with Sam fighting the spider. In about 15 minutes I had my neighbour on the door, saying she has been banging it for the last 15 minutes...

"I'm sorry, am I playing it too loud?" I asked as I was pumping it out at reference level. "No, it's not too loud, just that the bass is just too much." Can't remember the exact words she said after that, something about things shaking too much. :frowning:

This in a house with fairly large yard, Thursday night a little after 7pm. Later played it at -6dB and went outside to hear how bad it sounded. Could hardly hear much of the effects, just a little bass coming out. Will have to test at RL when they are not at home. Good thing is I'm looking to buy a house instead of renting my friends, I need to pick one that has a good room for HT that is fairly away from neighbours and insulate it.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Not if you want to be curteous. Also, I beleive you can be disturbing the peace at any hour of the day depending on local jurisdiction. I have gone outside and walked to the neighbors house while playing loud scenes to make sure I was not disturbing them. I am afraid my neighbors are too courteous to confront me if it was too loud.

Hopefully, you can find a happy medium in your situation. Deffinately consider the yard when choosing a house. A house on a 1/5 acre lot is not condusive to HT.

Sounds like yours SVS is working properly though.

Have fun :)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
lucky you don't live in a townhouse :angry:

I can hear my neighbor's TV. Usually when I get really pissed I just shove the sub (clone of an adire rava) up against the wall and crank the gain :angry: :angry:

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Do you know the neighbors well? If so, invite them over once in awhile to watch a movie with you. This will help make them more accepting. If you do this and try to keep things before 11pm or so they'll probably be pretty cool about it.

CRyan

Screenwriter
I have a feeling that no one would be happy with things shaking in their house at any hour. I would not be too happy about it.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
So they could disturb my peace with their noise waste? No thank you! :laugh:

The neighbours are cool, I'm not bitching about them and I don't want to disturb them. I'm just bummed that I can't listen as loud as I want even on a house. I don't want to buy a house based on my need for a HT and audio room but I have already scraped a few quite attractive options because of that. Next I'm going to see a 111 year old house (a little updated of course), it has a nice large unfinished room upstairs:

http://northtexas.rapmls.com/scripts...093793,-AS,-N1

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I live in a newer townhouse and we must just have hella-thick walls because I have never heard a peep from either neighbor or gotten a complaint for pounding the bass at reference :)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Shave your head, grow a beard, buy a HOG, wear leather and get a tattoo. Your neighbors will never complain to you again...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks