Oh no...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Telalun, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Telalun

Telalun Extra

I just pulled the trigger on a HK AVR-335 and only have about 600 left in budget for speakers. This setup will be 60/40 music/movies but we have never had a sub and the speaker setup we have now is just left and right with television as the center.

The big debate in my mind is,

Spend on fewer higher quality now and save up for the rest, ( FL, C, FR) --- Sub and surrounds later.

Spend on full package with diminished quality

Combination of the above.

I like the reviews I am reading on the JBL E90's and couple that with a EC35 and I would have my budget tapped at this time. Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

2. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

I'd get a sub before a center channel (don't skimp on the sub!). What speakers are you using for the L/R channels now? If you can afford to get new L/R/sub channels, you can move the current L/R speakers to the rear, and you'd have 4.1. Get the center later when you can afford it and just use the TV as center for now. You may be better off not using a center over using the TV as the center though.

3. Graham C

Graham C Auditioning

You could get the Ascend CMB-340s for now and buy more later... you save a lot on the package deal however.

They're $570 shipped.

4. Telalun

Telalun Extra

I bought the old speakers 12 years ago as a get me by till I could replace them with something better. I took a woofer out of one of them and there isn't a crossover in the box so I am ditching them all together.

The television is being replaced with a plasma monitor without any speakers hence the center.

5. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

A center is not a necessity, it only serves a purpose if you are sitting way off center of the L/R speakers. If you are 60/40 music/movies I would defiantly put off the center and put as much money as possible into your mains and sub. I dont have a center and I am happy as a clam.

6. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

I went a week or 2 without a Center while waiting for my 3rd Ascend 340. It sucekd. BIG difference when centered arrived.

Save up and Def. get the ASCEND 340'S. tHEY ARE FLAT OUT awesome!

hAD jbl e80'S, ec35 BEFORE AND THIS WAS A MAJOR STEP UP.

7. John S

John S Producer

You need towers?

In a 6.1 config:
    Qty6 $140 per pair (3 pair) of JBL E30's and some serious subwoofer would probably get you into something you would be happy with.

Qty-2 of the 12" Dayton subs $280

I don't like many center channel specific speakers, I always suggest the same exact speaker in every location.

Puts it at $700 before shipping. The 1 subs run about $50 total for shipping, the JBL E30's are with free shipping right now at ETRONICS.....

This is a serious rocking system here.... One sub would probably fine as well but the two subs really up it's performance capabilites where HT is concerned.

8. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Don't do like I did over the last 10 years. I tried to skimp it at first and was never satisfied. Wound up taking a bath on all the cheap stuff as you can't sell it. Finally learned to wait until I have the money then add what is needed. Fronts first, then a sub then surrounds. Get the best and biggest you can afford. You can phantom the center for now. Just get something you know will be around so you can match it later when funds are there. Nothing worse than not being able to timbre match you speakers. A sub is worth its weight in gold. Take a look at the PB10 at SVS. Great entry/Mid sub. Good luck
    Mike L.

You might also want to check out the ELT packages at av123.com as well. I have not heard them but they have a huge following and you can check out the forum there as well.

9. Dan J

Dan J Agent

I bought junk in the past and really regret it. Don't do what I did.

I just received my JBL E-90's and E-35 and I'm waiting on the E-30 rear speakers. I'm currently using my old sub which is blown and I've got it turned way down so it's barely audible. My point is that without a sub the system still thumps harder than with the old sub. So, you could do a big, quality front speakers now and wait a little while on the sub and probably be very happy.

I unplugged my center (E-35) and changed the settings on the receiver. It sounds good with just the E-90's, but the center channel makes a huge difference.

If I were you I'd buy the fronts now and then the rears ASAP (tamber matching) and finally the sub. If you buy quality front speakers and coming from a lesser speaker setup (like I was) you'll be impressed with the new setup.

Dan

10. Brown_A

Brown_A Auditioning

I about got the same as you Dan J, except I have the E-80s. I'm sure the Athena's sound nice, but I never heard them before, but they seem to get alot of hype. Though they may have great sound, they don't look appealing to me on the outside.

11. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Telalun,

In deciding between getting the sub now or later, IMO the single most important factor is your taste in movies.

A. If you watch a lot of Hollywood mega-budget action/thriller flicks, then yeah get the sub now.

B. If you prefer dramas, comedies, foreign/art/cult flicks, the sub can wait. I'd get the best center channel you can afford.

Personally I'm firmly in the B category. In hindsight, if I were to do it all over again I'd just buy the best 2-channel system I could afford since music is my main priority. I watch movies like "Lord of the Rings" and "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" maybe a dozen times a year if that, for everything else I couldn't care less if I can hear raindrops falling behind my ears or in front of them. I know for a fact that the vast majority of budget HT receivers entail significant compromises in 2-channel music performance however, so they don't make any sense at all for someone with my tastes and priorities.

I have the Ascend 340s and love them for both movies and music, but having recently ABed them against the 170s which are half the price, I'd probably take the 170s for L/R (flatter frequency response at high volumes) though I'd keep the 340 center, it does amazing things with dialogue. The Ascend 170s L/R + 340 center should keep you around $600.

12. Telalun

Telalun Extra

Thanks for the help everyone, I am following in DanJ's footsteps on this one. I finally heard the e80's but without a center and was comfortable knowing the dual 8's would drive a good mid range for my listening style. I will save and get a DIY sub and go with e50's for the side and rear's maybe for x-mas. [​IMG]

I really considered the ascends but without hearing them it was just too hard to make that decision.

Again thanks for all your input I am sure I will be posting again soon on how to setup more of a soundstage in the near future.

Tel.

13. Dan J

Dan J Agent

Telalun-
    I really think you'll be happy with that setup. I wish I could have done the E-50's but I'm very happy with the E-30's.

Sorry for the late reply.

Dan

14. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

E80's have dual 6.5",s not dual 8's.

15. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Since January, I've had:

- Polk RTi series speakers (RTi8, CSi3)
    - Klipsch RF-35 speakers, w/RC-35 center
    - Axiom MTi22, VP150
    - Acoustech towers and center channel
    - Home Theater Direct Level 3 speakers across the front.

Damn, my wife is going to cut my nads off when she gets home in a few days. Out of the above speakers, I liked the Acoustech speakers the best. They really did fine with my H/K receiver, but when I installed the Panny XR55, they were really too bright and didn't match well. I really thought I'd keep the Acoustech speakers longer and not move 'em so quick. Music and movies were really good with these speakers.

So, what do I have now? I picked up Infinity Betas for across the front. (2) Beta 20s and (1) C360 3-way center channel. The center channel is a freakin' monster. It weighs 35 LBs. and each of the Beta bookshelf speakers weigh 20 LBs. I've barely had an hour now to break them in and I'm flat out impressed with them. With good subs, I'd never go for tower speakers again. Good bookshelves crossed over at 80Hz is really all one needs. Then again, I have (2) 15" IB subs in my family room providing the juice.

Listen to everything you can out there. Only stop when you find yourself happy with a purchase that you can live with.

16. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

> Good bookshelves crossed over at 80Hz is really all one needs.

I used to think this too, but now I am pondering about the trade-offs which that entails---namely you get great clarity but lose warmth with certain types of music (e.g. simple piano, accoustic guitar, male voices).

I'm not a proponent of towers per se, but my experiences with a very unique bookshelf speaker, Alegria Audio Lings, is what is making me rethink my priorities:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/157144.html

I've never heard the Betas though.