Oh No The longest Yard Remade

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Dave Scarpa, May 31, 2004.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    What's Next a Remake of M*A*S*H ?

Adam sandler will fill the Reynolds Role, Gary oldman Eddie Alberts Sadistic Warden, Reynolds will actually fill the Micheal Conrad Role as a Coach and Chris Rock as another player. But why remake this classic film. Which if you remember was a Sports/Drama/Action movie as a straight Comedy?

Much the Same way they are going to Butcher the memory of the Six Million Dollar Man by Casting jim Carrey !

When this movie Premieres I'm going to take my Nice Paramount DVD and screen it for anyone considering going to this. Shame Hollywood stop recycling and make some of your own damn classics.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I heard Chris Rock is playing Caretaker. I'm not exactly pleased with this remake news. Remakes of good films have a lot to live up to in my opinion. Hollywood needs more experiences with films like Psycho to get off this kick. But, they would be crazy to remake a dud of a film too.[​IMG]

Crawdaddy

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Gee, the Ska folks just remade The Longest Yard a couple years ago as Mean Machine with Vinnie Jones. Sure, different "football", but still a pretty entertaining movie.

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I figured this thread was about someone who had just rented Mean Machine.

MM was cute, roughly about as much fun as the original IMO. This looks like another "well lets do an American version of a 'foreign' hit" to me, even if it was a remake of an American film in the first place.

5. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I just saw the Poster of the movie and with Sandler and Rock in it, thats reason enough to stay away. I just dont like Sandler in anything and Rock grates on my nevers.

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

[​IMG].....this one had passed under my radar.
    So has anyone took the time to actually tally up all of the remakes released or in production in the past...let's say...two years?

Is there a writers strike or something going on in Hollywood? Because you can't tell me there aren't any more "original"* ideas out their to necessitate this sort of Mass mining of past talent....there are a million starving writers out there, you can't tell me one of them doesn't have a good story idea?
    And before someone chimes in with "Hollywood has been self-referencing for a long time", I am well aware of that but never on a scale this massive.

*As original as stories can be after all this time anyway....the same stories retold time & time again throughout history and all of that.

7. Neil McCaulley

Neil McCaulley Stunt Coordinator

I am a big fan of the original. I saw the preview for this remake and I have to admit that it had me chuckling and got me mildly interested in seeing the film. The only thing I think that might be a mistake, is that the original was more like a drama with humorous scenes once in a while. Much like the Terminator in T-2 learning how to smile. You see? T-2 was NOT a comedy, but it had a couple of light-hearted scenes. This new 'Yard' looks to be a strict comedy only.

8. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Many of our greatest filmmakers have brought remakes to the screen -- we can argue as to the wisdom of their efforts, but if someone wants to take a stab at The Longest Yard, I've got no problems with it.

Adam Sandler starring as a famous quarterback...that's another story altogether.

9. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Exactly. But that won't stop anyone from chiming in! [​IMG]

10. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Yeah, I know.[​IMG]

11. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Tell you what - give me a number of films that were remakes in 2004, and then I'll go hunting through film history to see if this year's number is truly dramtically high and anything worth getting one's panties in a bunch about.

12. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Hell, you do it Ernest, you seem to be the one who has something to prove.[​IMG]

13. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Steve Austin, Goldberg, and Kevin Nash are in it. You guys know how great movies are with wrestlers in them.

~T

14. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Tell you what, I'll extend it one month into the new year:
    Assault on Precinct 13 (2005)
    Flight of the Phoenix (2004)
    Taxi (2004)
    Dawn of the Dead (2004)
    Wicker Park (2004)
    Alfie (2004)
    The Stepford Wives (2004)
    The Grudge (2004) (not sure if this one qualifies)
    Walking Tall (2004)
    Shall We Dance? (2004)
    Around the World in 80 Days (2004)
    The Alamo (2004) (not sure if this one qualifies either)
    The Ladykillers (2004)
    Man on Fire (2004)
    Criminal (2004)
    The Manchurian Candidate (2004)

..I'm actually missing a few as this was just gleaned off of a quick Google search, I am sure there are more that I missed.