Oh No! Not another speaker calibration question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Custodio, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I have been using my receivers internal tones to calibrate the speaker levels, because Avia doesn't have tones to calibrate 6.1 speaker setups. I have the receiver main volume at 00 and adjust all the channel volumes to get 75db. But I noticed when I put the Avia disk in and use their tones, I still have the receiver main volume at 00 but now all the channels read 85db. Is this how it is sposed to be? I have a Denon 4802 receiver.

Ken

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I believe that Avia's test tones will be at 85db at reference level.

3. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

4. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

I have a stupid question......

I have always worried that if I turn my knob up to what will be the reference point and pop in the disc, that the sound will be very loud and I could damage a speaker before getting things adjusted......

I would assume I am way off base on this, but my silly fears have prompted me to have the knob only about half way up and then get all the speakers to the same relative Db level, and not necessearily 85.

This was done with a friends SPL Meter and VE. I finally have a copy of Avia on the way and will be recalibrating next week.

FYI, I have a Yamaha RXV-795 with Def Tech speakers all the way around: Pro Mon 100 up front, C2 (?) center, BP1X surrounds, and the PF15TL sub (older model with 325w amp).

Should I be as worried as I am? Also, what about relative volume levels of DVD to VCR outputs or TiVO outputs?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The Sound & Vision disc has 6.1 calibration tones.

You DO NOT turn your receiver's level to "0", REF is the level at which you consider the sound to be LOUD. That may or may NOT be "0" on your volume control, you CHOOSE the point for REF.

Jeff, the way you calibrated is correct. Once your speaker levels are calibrated evenly, they should remain consistent for all sources (you should not have to recalibrate for each source), though may require volume adjustments depending on source.