What's new

Oh No! Not another speaker calibration question. (1 Viewer)

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
I have been using my receivers internal tones to calibrate the speaker levels, because Avia doesn't have tones to calibrate 6.1 speaker setups. I have the receiver main volume at 00 and adjust all the channel volumes to get 75db. But I noticed when I put the Avia disk in and use their tones, I still have the receiver main volume at 00 but now all the channels read 85db. Is this how it is sposed to be? I have a Denon 4802 receiver.

Ken

Harold_C

Stunt Coordinator
Is this how it is sposed to be?
Yep. The receiver's test tones are "recorded" 30 dB below the maximum possible level in a Dolby Digital signal. The Avia test tones are recorded 10 dB higher -- 20 dB below the same maximum possible level.

Thus, if you play the receiver's tones with the master volume set at Dolby reference level, you will get 75 db readings (30 db below the maximum possible level of 105 db).

If you play the Avia's test tones with the master volume set at the same place, you will get 85 db readings (20 db below the 105 dB maximum) because the tones are recorded 10 dB higher.

I just got my Avia disk and did the calibration today. I got exactly the same results as I did using the receiver's test tones. I did find the Avia's test tones easier to use because they stay on each speaker longer -- or you can just select one tone. The tones also appear to be filtered slightly differently which made the needle a little more stable for easier readings.

I found the 85 dB level a bit loud, so rather than go find my earplugs, I just turned the master volume down 10 dB from the reference point and adjusted to get 75 dB. I did confirm that my Dolby reference level (85 db) was exactly the same as I had already found on the receiver's test tones.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I have a stupid question......

I have always worried that if I turn my knob up to what will be the reference point and pop in the disc, that the sound will be very loud and I could damage a speaker before getting things adjusted......

I would assume I am way off base on this, but my silly fears have prompted me to have the knob only about half way up and then get all the speakers to the same relative Db level, and not necessearily 85.

This was done with a friends SPL Meter and VE. I finally have a copy of Avia on the way and will be recalibrating next week.

FYI, I have a Yamaha RXV-795 with Def Tech speakers all the way around: Pro Mon 100 up front, C2 (?) center, BP1X surrounds, and the PF15TL sub (older model with 325w amp).

Should I be as worried as I am? Also, what about relative volume levels of DVD to VCR outputs or TiVO outputs?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Sound & Vision disc has 6.1 calibration tones.

You DO NOT turn your receiver's level to "0", REF is the level at which you consider the sound to be LOUD. That may or may NOT be "0" on your volume control, you CHOOSE the point for REF.

Jeff, the way you calibrated is correct. Once your speaker levels are calibrated evenly, they should remain consistent for all sources (you should not have to recalibrate for each source), though may require volume adjustments depending on source.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks