What's new

Oh NO!! My SVS is suffering!! (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Which means I'm suffering even more!!

For awhile I moved my sub from my basement theater to my living room because I got rid of my old theater furniture. While waiting for my new furniture (about 5 months) I had my theater in my living room.

The bass response from my living room was incredible, both rooms are virtually the same size except the living room's ceiling is much higher, and of course the walls are not made of drywall with no insulation.

Anyway, there is a scene in Hell Boy when you first get to see him at the Bureau of Paranormal Research. He's curling a barbell. When he drops it, there's a serious thud when it hits the ground. But now when I play it in my basement, it doesn't thud, you hear the floor and not the boom. This sucks!!!! What can I do to get that same bass response I had in the living room in the basement?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Good luck, I'm using 2 subs including an old THX certified sub, I have them cranked up and I can barely get any leg movement.

Concrete don't move so well!

B

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I am in your same situation though it still rumbles nicely. I have the 25-31pc+ and it is corner loaded and shakes the room nicely but nothing like in our old place which was in the upstairs living room.
You may want to consider an upgrade if that will be your permanent home for it. :D

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
LaMarcus,

This is almost certainly an issue of calibration and location. Though I wouldn't rule out a setting in your system getting switched to a less optimal position as you unplugged and moved everything.

Send us a sketch of your room and maybe the gurus in Tech Support can help. Ed Mullen just posted a great checklist you might want to run through. This thread should be archived and I'm thinking of asking permission to post it as a "Troubleshooting Guide" on our site even.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=212767

The Tech Support fax is 330-793-8183. Be sure to include where your key gear is, where your seats are and openings to other rooms in that sketch.

Ron

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Concrete doesn't conduct vibration like a wooden floor over an open space will.

Personally I like the bass quality in rooms with a concrete floor, because a wooden floor can produce resonances and muddy up the sound a bit. Just jump up and down on your floor in the living room vs. the basement and you'll see what I mean about energy transmission and floor noise.

That doesn't mean the sub can't perform well in the basement; you'll just have to get used to considerably less vibe transmission through the floor and your chair/couch.

Could be set-up and placement too, certainly. The "subwoofer crawl" always works well in a new room. :)

Ron, just Saturday I sent Robb Roy a cleaned up version of that trouble shooting guide for his website. I don't have it handy right at this moment (wrong computer), but he'll probably email it to you, if you'd like. I think the new version works better than HTF version. You are more than welcome to use it - hell you guys at SVS developed most of it anyway; I just stuck it all in one post. ;)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Yeah I thought some of those tips looked familiar ;^)

I'll drop Robb a line. He's quite a wizard of editing I've discovered (he tells me about typos in our site that I dutifully fix all the time 8^0)

Ron

Sheldon C

Second Unit
LeMarcus,

I was in your exact situation and here is how I solved it. I upgraded from a pci 20-39 to a pb2 isd and put the new sub right behind the couch on its side (I took the baseplate off) so that the drivers are facing the back of the couch, about an inch from touching it. Now I am pounded with bass similar (or better) to what I experienced on a wood floor in a previous house.

The pb2 still wasn't what I was looking for when I initially placed it in the corner, it just shook the hell out of the cieling, windows, etc. but with very little impact to me. Now, I have the impact I was looking for.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Um, my suggestion may not be liked, but aside from moving your sub, re-calibrating, or upgrading, have you considered getting some bass shakers and put them in the furniture? Butt Kicker

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Actually I have bass shakers in my seats. The problem isn't feeling the bass, because even without the bass shakers I can still feel the response. It's just hearing it that's a problem. I considered getting a more powerful SVsub but the one I have is great, and besides that you can here the bass on the first and second floor already while it's in the basement.

And to shock ya even more, my sub is the bottom of the barrel svs (if there is such a thing). It amazes me to see my fellow members with these insane SVS configurations in their rooms with 2 SVS's or the pluses or the isd's. I just think "wow, how do they keep any pictures on the wall", because my 25-31 does a excellent job for HT and it's all I need.

I'm going to try placement, to see how much that helps. Big thanks to Ron for the additional support, SVS inc has worlds of class.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Your walls are concrete right? have you considered putting up some drywall and insulation?

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Drywall is up, but I don't think the walls are insulated. The room was already made when I bought the house. But I do know that they used aluminum studs, which doesnt make me happy. Because it's not very sturdy.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
well, aside from remodeling, I guess there is always upgrading your SVS. Well, I dont really know what else could be done, having never gone through it before. Sorry I cant be of any help. But maybe SVS-Ron can help you calibrate your sub a little better and maybe find a better placement in the room for it.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
If it's a difference in sound then it should be FR related. Plot the FR in both rooms, get an EQ, and match the basement to the living room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks