What's new

Oh no! I don't have many Warner snapper cases left (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've always disliked the snappers because adjacent cases tend to hang up on the snapper part of the case when I'm returning them to the shelf, and because the cover is glued to the disc hub. However, I still have a couple dozen WB snapper cases left, most of which I'd like to retire for new Blu-rays.

View attachment 79267
---------------
I don't know where you get your snappers but my covers are not "glued to the disc hub" at all. The plastic bit is quite easy to replace (although I have no idea where you'd purchase replacements). I've done it with a few that got damaged in shipment - purchased a real cheap snapper and swapped the plastic disc hub/holder.

Snapper apart.jpg

Snapper top open.jpg

The top and bottom pieces simply snap off. The top image is with the plastic insert completely removed and the bottom is a close up of the top hold-down snapped up/open.

It's "digibooks" which are truly horrible with the disc trays glued to the book and can't be replaced or repaired if damaged.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I don't know where you get your snappers but my covers are not "glued to the disc hub" at all. The plastic bit is quite easy to replace (although I have no idea where you'd purchase replacements).
Thanks. Not glued then, but if the plastic bit is not readily replaceable (I'm not buying another DVD just to scavenge the box) then almost as bad as glued on.

It's "digibooks" which are truly horrible with the disc trays glued to the book and can't be replaced or repaired if damaged.
I agree that snappers are by no means the worst disc packaging.

---------------

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I still have a ton of Warner Bros. snapper DVDs (and discs from other studios, as well, which used them such as HBO).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It’s a reprint of the previous version put out by Warner in a digibook, but in a regular case without the book. I believe it had all of the special features from the DVD but doesn’t have anything new that was created just for BD.

Glad to know that. Just ordered the Warner Archive version. So now it's just three more to go! (Don't know why those titles, "Arsenic And Old Lace", "Mister Roberts" and "Butterfield 8" have never made it)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Glad to know that. Just ordered the Warner Archive version. So now it's just three more to go! (Don't know why those titles, "Arsenic And Old Lace", "Mister Roberts" and "Butterfield 8" have never made it)

I’m hoping Mister Roberts is next - it appears that HBO Max is getting a brand new transfer, which has been the tip off for some other recent WA announcements.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
That's great news. This was one of the very first titles on DVD I think I ever got and it's been overdue for upgrade!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The only snapper I have left is the theatrical version of Friday and that’s only because the god awful director’s cut is the only version available on Blu-ray.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've recently watched two Warner DVDs with snapper cases: A Time To Kill and The Client. Two of the first DVDs I bought and I still don't have a problem with snapper cases! I might upgrade to the Blu-ray of A Time To Kill but The Client really doesn't need upgrading: an extraordinarily good DVD!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I liked the bright colorful printing and embossing on snapper cases. Movies in regular cases can get looking scuffed up sooner and harder to appreciate the artwork. But then came slipcovers, which allowed for much artistic expression and vivid display of spine logos on the shelf. I have a few snappers left for movies I'm waiting to upgrade to Blu-ray.
Embossing on snappers? I didn’t run across any of those.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I've recently watched two Warner DVDs with snapper cases: A Time To Kill and The Client. Two of the first DVDs I bought and I still don't have a problem with snapper cases! I might upgrade to the Blu-ray of A Time To Kill but The Client really doesn't need upgrading: an extraordinarily good DVD!
I have A Time to Kill in a snapper case version, as well. What's even more annoying is that, like Sleepers, it's one of those Warner DVDs you have to flip over to continue the film...

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I still have a few of them. The one I still like quite a bit is Billy Jack. The artwork is really cool which later releases didn't have. The transfer is full screen of course so I rarely watch it, but I keep it around for the nostalgia.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I have A Time to Kill in a snapper case version, as well. What's even more annoying is that, like Sleepers, it's one of those Warner DVDs you have to flip over to continue the film...
That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of upgrading to the Blu-ray disc.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
These are wider than conventional cases and stick out. Several years ago I took mine apart, cut the cardboard to fit and put them in regular cases.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of upgrading to the Blu-ray disc.
I can see that being a reason to upgrade; personally, I'm saving my money for all my non-anamorphic crap and full screen DVDs (in terms of upgrading priority).

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
These are wider than conventional cases and stick out. Several years ago I took mine apart, cut the cardboard to fit and put them in regular cases.
Yeah, they do stick out a bit on a shelf compared to regular keepcases, but I'm more annoyed by the way they sometimes snag on one another on the shelf, if two snapper cases are next to one another, and you end up taking both down when you're reaching for one or even damaging one.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'm down to just two snappers: The Late Show and The Sea Wolves. Both need blu releases, The Late Show with the initial theatrical release scenes restored. For some reason, some scenes were cut AFTER the film was released. The actors who appeared in those scenes are still listed in the credit crawl.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks