What's new

Oh no, had a few beers last night and purchased an amp for my DIY sub enclosure!!! (1 Viewer)

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
My wife is gonna kill me....had a few beers last night and got on Ebay and bought a Yamaha M-60 amp, C-60 preamp, and T-80 tuner. Just wanted the amp, so will have to get rid of the other stuff.
Love the old Yamaha stuff. Have a Yamaha M-80 and C-80 amp and preamp and really like them. Have had real good luck with them. Anyway, bought the M-60 amp (think it's about 170 watts per channel into 8 ohms) to run the Dayton 12" DVC in my own enclosure.
Couple questions:
1. Am currently using a Technics SA-DX950 receiver (please, don't make fun of me!!) :) but have plans of using my Yamaha DSP-E492 processor again eventually to run my system. The Technics does have a real nice "volume" control for the subwoofer output. Here's my question: Do I need the preamp with the M-60, or can I just use the volume control on the receiver? Or, would the preamp give me some type of extra flexibility?
2. Being that my wife doesn't know I bought this stuff yet, any good cop-outs that could come in handy? :wink:
Also, anything else I might be missing here? Thanks for any help/suggestions. Should have went with the Parts Express plate amp, but just couldn't help myself.
Steve

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I think you should hide all that stuff at my house. Hell why don't you just send me the Dayton DVC sub as well. And your blender.. mine burned out last week. :)

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Her: Where did you get that stuff?
You: Oh, sweetheart this was packed away in the garage since we moved in. I just remembered I had this stuff since I was in high school.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Hahahahaha!! This guy is dead meat! She will skewer him, and rightly so! Please, please videotape the confession and set up a streaming video link so we can watch it and be entertained.
Beer and eBay...hmmmm... Note to self: "Stay out of that smooth tequila when signed on to eBay"
Steve, Kevin's suggestion is not a bad one. OR, you could confess immediately after she opens her package from Tiffany's. I'll make this easy for you:
http://www.tiffany.com Just click on "shopping".

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, ok, we've all had a lot of fun with this (wife still doesn't know, so I'm still stressing here), but can somebody please help me how I can set this thing up? Come on now, I know somebody knows the best way to handle this. Thanks a lot.

Steve
"Still stressing"

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
Make sure you have a tracking number..........that way you can start drinking the day your stuff is to arrive. you will feel less pain that way.:D

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
This might help in the future.
My brother and I have a system where he buys me a "gift" plus some stuff for the kids and then I buy him something.
Then I can say when I open the box from my brother "wow honey look at this cool (dvd, amp, speaker... whatever)..
Do you think we should get him something? boy he's so generous"
I then get my brother something he needs .
Ha, Ha Ha:D :D
Or I just call my Mom and beg. I may be 32 but I'm still my mama's favorite.:b
_______
OK Steve
just say this
"Honey I got an e-mail from e-bay saying soemone used my account and credit card. The thief tried to have it shipped to some mail boxes etc in Deluth Minn but the Card company would only authorize shipping to our address. You know the card company will cover this...but you know i was going to talk to you about upgrading anyway.. "
Now as your standing outside you house and she throwing you cloths and DVD out the window remember friends don't let friends ebay after beer..

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
you shouldn't need the pre amp since you'll be able to control the sub volume using the level controls in the reciever

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
What about some type of crossover? Even my cheapo' Jensen had a variable crossover (seems like it started around 200 hz. and then you could adjust it lower).

Steve

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

If your receiver has a built in crossover then you will not need one. If you can set your speakers to SMALL or LARGE then it has a crossover of some sort.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks