What's new

Oh my... (Mid-atlantic snow) (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just about everyone in the northeast is getting the snow. Here are some pictures from NBC 4 Washington:

Morning & later in the evening

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Scott's pictures sum up perfectly what lies outside my door.

I believe it is #6 on the local record charts. Still coming down as of 9:00am Monday, but at a slower pace. The wind has picked up and the snow is finely granular so big drifts will be building. I've got a 7 foot drift on the front of my house. No electrical outage problems in central maryland yet. Guess the wind has kept the snow off the trees so everyone stays warm.

Remember to clear the area around your dreaded heat pumps. You don't want an inefficient system even worse off !

Off I go to tackle the driveway one more time.... anybody got some spare ibuprofens ? My back is destroyed.....

LewB

Screenwriter
It's 8 degrees F here in N.Y. and snowing like crazy. Doesn't mother nature know that it's "too cold to snow" :angry:

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Michael, don't worry. Today's President's Day, so no mail delivery anyway. :)

Here, it's a SNOW DAY, the rarest of rare for those out of school. :D

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Looks just like that here. The intrusion of sleet last night kept the snow down to an additional 3 or so inches... looks like 18-19 here. Dang, didn't cover the mailbox. :)

It really is a pain to shovel. Hot tea helps.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Wow! You guys really are snowed in. Way in!

Here in Denver, it's 55 degrees today, no clouds, no rain, no snow. Ironic as this storm started 40 miles to the East of us and we have been in a drought for 2 years now ;) We are just dying for a blizzard to roll through here, and yet it's like an eden outside today while the rest of the country is slammed.

PS - Would have been nice to have a snow day today too, as my lousy company just cancelled our President's Day holiday this year.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
And I just got a pair of X-C skis but I don't have bindings and boots yet... Arrgghh, can't the snow wait a week or two!!!! It better not melt :angry:

Oh well, at least I got off from work today in Jersey, we have about 15" out there now as of 2:30pmish... I just came in from snowblowing the driveway... I went out this morning with my snowshoes and walked around my neighborhood then walked into the woods, breaking trail for a few miles, wandered back out to another street and walked the way back home.

Oh well, I just ordered my X-C boots and going to call around tomorrow trying to find bindings on sale around here. It's tough cause most ski shops cater to the downhill folks...

Jay

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Easy, Tommy? With a snowthrower, maybe...But I've got 20 inches here on Long Island and it ain't easy. I told my wife last week we needed a snowthrower and she said "we have one already, you". Nice.

Soon as I get the car out of the driveway, I'm buying one of those snowthrowers. Or snowblowers. Whatever. Anybody have any recommendations on a good brand?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I guess i'll check in from Rhode Island. We have got about 16" so far in Northern RI and it's still coming down hard. Man i hate snow!1:angry: Hope i don't have work tommorow, i've got alot of shoveling to do!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I told my wife last week we needed a snowthrower and she said "we have one already, you". Nice.
Feel free to use the same line on her when she says you need a dishwasher or a maid.

Well, our forecast has gone from nothing to possibly 3-7 inches. Dammit! :angry:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
For our friends to the south, might I impart the wisdom of "roof shoveling" before all that snow becomes soaked with rain and comes crashing down into your living rooms (and onto the HT equipment).

Potentially big rain storm coming on Thu/Fri. All that snow will act as a big sponge...and wet snow is incredibly heavy.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yep, we sure got shit hammered alright. I live in Wilmington Delaware and it's quite a sight outside. The bad thing is I was off of work yesterday and i'm off again today, I take the bus to work and their not running, It sucks, i've got money to make and bills to pay! :frowning:

And guess what guy's? I heard last night on Fox news at 10 that a virtual replica of this storm is developing in the exact same spot off the pacific! If it get's to us and we have another cold front over us... :eek:

I seriously doubt this could happen again in one week though, the conditions just happened to be right for the last one, the chances are nill I think for another one so soon, but we'll see I guess.

This was 'The Perfect SNOW storm'. Ya hear that Sabastian Junger? There's your sequel. :D

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
That bottom photo of the car next to the mailbox is a classic !

Both my shovels broke yesterday, and we got another 1-2" last night... Street hasn't been plowed since mid-day Sunday. I'm primary oncall for my job this week.

I'm in deep doo-doo.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I have an uncle who lives in Garrett County, MD. They seem to have their own, much colder climate, as compared to Cumberland, MD (where I grew up), just 30 miles away. He tells me that his grand total is 47.5"!!! He says that's the biggest single snowfall since he's lived there (about 30 years).

I had to run the AC this weekend. 83 and humid.;)

Todd

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
27.5" here... With 3-6" more to come today. :eek:

I had fun playing out in the snow with my friends though. I was wearing two heavy socks for gloves... it's all I could find!

And I'll take all this snow over 10F everyday...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks