Oh my... (Mid-atlantic snow)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael R Price, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

This is really something... It's 3pm on Sunday, the snow started last night and might not end until noon Monday, and there is already 16 inches of it on our deck. How long is it going to be before I can get out of this place?

These maps are quite amazing: http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/mode...hours=hr12hr24

[​IMG]

How do I get mail when the mailbox is buried? [​IMG]

2. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

At least your neighborhood looks pretty with snow. Stately brick homes, evergreen trees. Nice!

It's rent-a-movie weather.

-JNS

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Looks like we're getting your snow now, Michael. Too bad too, I was hoping to go see Talk To Her tonight. But maybe we'll get a day off of work tomorrow, that'd be nice.

4. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

5. Michael St. Clair

The ice here in Cincinnati is killing me. At least I can shovel snow off my driveway. My back isn't the greatest but I have one of those big 'plow' type shovels and I can just push it all off without hurting myself.

But I can't do a damned thing about this ice. Our driveway and sidewalk are deadly hazardous!

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

7. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

At 5:30pm I walked around the house to measure the snow. (I'm crazy like that.) First it is really cold (14-17 deg F or maybe -9 C) and nearly impossible to walk around. That did not stop me from finding anywhere from 14-20 inches depending on where I measured, and then quickly running back in the house and keeping my ski jacket on for 10 minutes.

According to those computer models which are based on data from 7am, there will be around 1 inch of liquid equivalent precipitation from 7pm to 7am. That's another 10-12 inches of snow here, and even more to the north!

Unfortunately we only had a couple movies (Netflix) on hand, and we watched them. Of course now there's no way to get any more. The local authorities say it will take 2-4 days after the snow stops to clear all the roads. In 1996 when this happened, the snow was on Sunday and school was canceled for the entire following week.

It looks like NJ, and Philly will get pounded too. New York should get a bit less. Ah, this stuff is good fun when you don't have anything else to do.

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'd like Tuesday classes off as well. If the Monday snow ices over were golden. [​IMG]

I nearly broke my back shoveling the first layer of snow off my driveway this afternoon. Those lazy-man snow machines are looking nice about now.

9. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

we had a storm here in CA earlier and it rained for 3 1/2 days straight...too bad it wasn't cold enough to snow i wanted some snow in the mountains but the rain actually washed away whatever snow we had...=(

10. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

It started snowing here in NYC a few hours ago. Not much yet but they said by morning 8 inches and then all day likely close to 2 feet. I know my work is going to be closed. :) Definately going to take a lot of pictures of this one

capt

11. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Tomorrow, during the day, I'll try to get a picture of the backyard with the snow so we can compare environments.

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

that really is remarkable.
    normally we'd have a few feet, maybe 2 or 3 but it builds up all winter. This year we've had nearly none. It has been below zero for a few weeks on end though

15. Allen_Appel

Allen_Appel Second Unit

I'm in Gaithersburg, MD, too, coincidentally. I just shovelled off my back deck. Luckily, the snow is very light and dry so it wasn't back-breaking work, but I had to struggle through waist-high drifts. I think we've had around 20" of snow so far, with 8-10" more expected through tomorrow.

16. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Wow, the burough that I live in was just declared to be in a Snow Emergency. Neat [​IMG] I haven't bothered going outside to see how much there is yet, but it's impressive. I'm certain I'll have off of work tomrrow. Woohoo!

17. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

This is quickly getting old. I don't mind a decent snowfall, but my driveway is ~200' long !!!! As soon as I get finished (2+ hrs), it's time to start again !

And don't even mention the plows ! I grew up north of Boston and at least the plow drivers there weren't as punishing as these part-timers. I live on a cul-de-sac and all they do is make one trip around and mess up everyone's driveway entrance ! One plow width will not allow you to back into the street and the center of our circle is now about 6 ft high !

'Nuff ranting, it'll be almost 50 degrees on Thursday. Unfortunately these snow banks will be here come July (and my daughter will still be in school...)

Cheers !

18. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

If you live close to DC or in it, preforably around Bethesda or Rockville, let us know about the snow. I lived in Rockville growing up for 13 years and I love the snow. That is where I built my first snowman and snowfort and learned how to snowboard. I would stay out for the whole day w/ only a few breaks to get some hot chocolate. My mom would wrap my feet in zip lock bags under the boots. Anyway, tell us about the snow. Especailly if you like it, although I hear it is a bad blizzard. But keep us updated.
    Thanks. -Shawn from Alabama *sorry about the Maryland typo in the title

19. Shawn.G

Shawn.G Second Unit

See my thread on the after hours lounge page. But I know Gaithersburg well, although I grew up in Rockville. I have lived down here in Alabama for 3 years, and this is the coldest winter its been. It was 18 for a morning, but no snow of course. I miss all the snow. Yep, I remember the Blizzard of 96. I was 10 years old. Those were the days... But everybody up there, listen to the news and keep safe and warm. Keep us posted, either here or my thread. Thanks a lot.

20. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I wish some of it would come up here. My snowcat would appreciate it. [​IMG]