Oh My Gaauud!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Beck, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Well,....
    The time had come to fire up the big 480L dual Tempest sono,.....I had been doing a lot of comparing with different enclosures in my room. I finally got all the ducks lined up and was ready to give this thing a go. Good god man! Unreal!!!
    I have always been on the expecting too much end of things. Not this time...This bad boy delivers. I changed the drivers over from a pair of SBB4 enclosures recomended by Adire for SPL,....Yea right,...Don't get me wrong. They are very very impressive,...but nowhere near the output of the dual 480L Sono. I was playing Pearl Harbor's, very loud battle scene,.... made the change,... and HOLLY CRIPES! If somebody is running one of these on a main floor of wooden joists and sheeting,....WOW! I think the house may shake off the foundation. I'm in a full basement on concrete. Figured I would have to live with a little bit less rumble due to the floor,....Not now. Unreal! Just unreal.
    >>>--->

2. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Sounds awesome, totally awesome! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Haha, sweet, now that's the stuff I like to hear. Dam, I gotta get me a tempest now!

4. Gary Joe

Gary Joe Stunt Coordinator

That's cool! What are you powering them with?

5. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Kevin, I'm glad everything worked out and you are pounding away!

6. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Man, I hate it when someone dose one of these thrads.
    Well that is because Im dieing to build another couple of subs,but in my case I dont think I'll quit until I can blow out my windows from just touching the power switch.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Oh well hope your having fun with your new toy Kevin[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Kevin Beck

Thanks guys,... I am extremely happy with the outcome of this project. I have mentioned before, I come from car audio, and tend to expect too much from home audio equipment,....This 480L dual Tempest was a Dan Wiggins, " MONSTER BASS" brainchild. He aint just a whistling Dixie on this one. Its a fact,.....
    With a little help from Kyle at Acoustic visions on the componants,IE. the two tempests and some power from 250 watt PE amps, this creation of cardboard, wood fiber, and electronics, has become a house shaking, gut pounding machine. Mike Strassburg speaks the truth. I'm sure its only a matter of time, a very short time, I will have neighbors asking me, "what the heck is going on in there" too.
    >>>--->

8. Brett Loomis

Brett Loomis Stunt Coordinator

Kevin, Awesome.....I have been lurking here for sometime now and built my basement HT pretty much by myself (see my link below for photos). I have two Klipsch subs in it, a KSW-15 and a KSW-100.....but I want chest thumping low.

I am now ready to take the plunge and build my own earthmover/subwoofer. Money is really not an issue but building one just seems like a pretty rewarding experience from what I've read and probably a lot more cost effective than buying something made by someone else (SVS, etc.)

Could you please post photo's or walk me through the plans/dimensions/materials/drivers/ specifics for the particular sub you built and if you have a link for it that would be great. I am dying to build one of these suckers and would prefer something along the lines of an SVS 16-46CS+ or comparable.

What drivers should I use and why? (Your opinion please)
    How much should all materials cost me?

All help is appreciated from you or any others.

Thanks a lot, Brett

9. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

Kevin that's cool. Stuff like this post is why I am super excited to finish my tempest this weekend. It's in a 7ft^3 box tuned to 20Hz so it should sound prety good. I think the key to these subs is a low Hz tune with a big box. I have the older PE 150 amp with the boost disabled so that might be my weak link if the output is a little low.
    Would love to hear yours!!!!!

10. Kevin Beck

Brett,..
    I will send you a mail,..
    Chris,..
    Not an expert, but I'm sur eyou won't be in the least disapointed,....
    >>>--->

11. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

12. Kevin Beck

Mike,.. I never doughted you. Its just a little of a check and see situation. I have been disapointed in the past on a couple of manufacturer suggested configurations. Not to mention a few weeks ago getting to listen to a guys $3500.00 worth of retail subs, and not being impressed,... Had I not had the trouble with the amps, I wouldn't have done all the comparing with the smaller enclosures. They are very sweet,..but not like the dual Tempest 480. Man! I still can't get over it. If I can get the guy with the big money subs over for a listen,..he will be chucking his stuff out to the curb,....
    As for the Tempest in the car. I know a guy that has two sealed in his car. They play very low, but not as loud as I thought they would. I told him to port the things, but he said he didn't want to build the box that big. I think maybe the single ported would do the job better. Depends on what your looking for I guess. I'm a big fan of ported subs, unless you are running a bunch of them. I can't do that. I have to get my kids in the truck too.
    Anyway,...This sub is plain impressive. Next door neighbors had to come over to see what all the fuss was about, and left dragging their jaws. [​IMG]
    >>>--->
    Ps,..I will try the movies suggested, but I can't seem to find the Haunting in DTS. Anybody sell it on line?

13. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Kevin,
    Thanks for the advice on the ported sub as I was leaning towards that direction. I want SQ & SPL, but it doesn't have to be heard a block away.
    The Haunting DTS should be available from deepdiscountdvd.com, etc...
    When I get a dedicated HT room I WILL build a second dual Tempest sub and brace the hell out of the walls [​IMG]

14. Kevin Beck

Mike,..
    That,...I will have to come have a listen to. I have enough to do without creating, repairs on the house...[​IMG]
    >>>--->

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Man, my project has been on hold for a while. Now I can't wait to get it finished. Great job and congratulations.

16. Brett Loomis

Brett Loomis Stunt Coordinator

Mike, Kevin and Chris- Sorry to butinski but could you guys take a look at my thread in this forum that says "DIY Sonotube sub questions...

I am trying to get plans or ideas on a DIY Sono-sub that has size limitations of 20"wide x 40" tall....see thread for more details.

I just couldn't pass up this wealth of bass/brain power!!;-)

Brett

17. Kevin Beck

Brett,..
    Sent you an E-mail,...
    >>>--->