What's new

Oh man...a drunk driver crashed into our driveway, totaling 1 and hitting 3 more... (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
These are the types of accidents where you don't pray that the driver gets killed...you pray that he gets CRIPPLED and has a lasting reminder of what he did wrong for the rest of his life.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I have to admit to having a deep and abiding hatred of drunk drivers. Sheer disreagrd for the safety of other people, based on selfish arrogance or non-chalance.

We are far, FAR too lenient on drinking and driving in our fine country. Loss of license should be the starting penalty for one count. Jail for two. Death by scorpions for three.

Sorry to hear about your rides. Happy that no one (that mattered) was hurt. At least the guy driving hit your cars and not your house.

Thanks for the pics,
Chuck

Colton

Supporting Actor
Doesn't Texas have tough drunk driving laws? I would think they do. Zero tolerance!

- Colton

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Just thank your stars no one in your house was walking out to the cars when this happened. Not repairing a Ghia sucks, not repairing someone's spine is a a little bit worse.

Man, what a creep that driver is.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Wow, looking at teh first couple pictures of the Ghia, I thought it wasn't too bad. But then I saw the front of it. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope him and his company pays through their noses.

It's ashame he didn't hit that tree on your yard instead. Definitely would have stopped him, and probably would have killed him.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

The building I work in is the same - there are serious accidents happening all the time right outside. The last one involved a guy in a pickup truck blazing down the road. He drove through a street sign, drove through a telephone pole (it was literally hanging from the power lines, creating a potentially serious electrical hazard), and then came to a stop after slamming into a second telephone pole. Driver, who we decided was probably on drugs, was of course completely unhurt :)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Well, we found out the other cars he hit before our driveway had a passenger in it, only 18- she had some fractured ribs, a hairline crack in her skull, and just injuries all over. The mother is pretty furious, and is going to sue.

Unless we get some good money for the Ghia through his insurance, we'll likely do the same, but only for five thousand or so (since we put in nearly $4000+ into the Ghia). No sense in suing for emotional distress or something.

Texas has some really hard drunk driving laws...my friends dad bailed him out since he's his attorney (and my friend has since been avoiding me) and is now at home a few doors down. I hope he sees the mess in the front. :angry:

paul_v

Second Unit
Sorry for your loss but man tell your friend to speed up the shutter on his camera. Sheesh I had an acid flashback.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Sorry to read about your recent troubles, David. :frowning:

I guess the good thing is that you and yours weren't
hurt, and hopefully the girl comes out OK. The really
good news in all this is that the drunk driver will
most likely be fired from his job, get sued, and face
tough criminal charges. I would like to think that he's
really fucked if this isn't his first DWI offense. I can
understand somebody screwing up once, but I have absolutely no sympathy or tolerance for somebody that repeats the
same mistakes. Please keep us posted when/ if you hear
what will happen to this guy after all this.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
David,

Not to worry about your Karmann Ghia. There are plenty of companies that sell replacement parts for older VW's and I'm sure the financial settlement will get your car up and going again. Keep that car, because Karmann Ghia's are getting increasingly rare and could be worth quite a lot of money soon. :)

Users who are viewing this thread