What's new

“Oh Lucy!!!” I did it again (any SCCA members here?). (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Somehow, a causal Ad, for the “Mazda- Rev it Up” competition, has turned into a good-natured family competition. Me against a Brother-In-Law to see who comes up with the best time on Mazda day.
Considering he has spent several of his last years “driving” an F-14, Vs I (a law-abiding citizen) of the local ground traffic laws who is not seasoned to pushing an engine (and suspension) to a higher performance level. I have decided to put some ‘time’ and prep into this. (After his wife warned me last night ‘ he ‘ ran out to ye local go-cart track to get a jump on me).

Any hints? I looked up SCCA, and am considering a “novice school day”. I can book this next month. Any familiar with this sport? And/or theory racing rules of thumb, driving tips, I can access which would be helpful when later applied to real ‘seat-time’?

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
Mary,

I've been an SCCA member for 10 years. I've raced a range of open wheel cars, from Formula Vee's to some SCCA Pro Racing FF2000 events. I've been involved in stuff all the way up the IRL and Indy Lights when it was popular.

People can offer all kinds of advice, and you can read all kinds of books. But nothing replaces seat time. Even after 10 years of racing, it always takes me a session or two to get back up to speed and feel comfortable in the car. So if you can run a school at the track, you will be in good shape.

Just so you know, it's NOTHING like driving on the street. I've known some people who thought they were "hot stuff" on the street, then got the crap scared out of them on the track to the point they decided it wasn't for them.

Driving a race car is one of the most difficult things to do well, and those who disagree have never tried it. Carol Smith, a former Navy pilot and respected race car engineer, has said it's harder to drive a race car at it's limits then it is to land an F-14 on an aircraft carrier at night in the fog.

But it can also be the most rewarding.

One thing that is often over looked, get yourself in good physical condition. I've worn a heart rate monitor in the car before, and for the entire race it never went below 170 beats per minute.

SCCA is a great place to start. What track will this be taking place at? There's a good chance I've raced there and may be able to offer specifics.

Michael.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Michael.

Just looking at the Solo stuff. The Mazda event appears to be a similar timed course. You’ve read my mind, on Three topics. (one just because he was Dangerous Dan doesn’t’ mean it will transfer to the road. :) ) Two, (I’m Outtttt of shape the last two years….I’ve done some tandems so I know how heart rate can escalate, and my resting is off the chart right now. Three,.I assume this is a verydifficult thing to do well!.

Exactly why I’m drawing into the spirit of the (stomping my BIL) competition. Kidding in reality,- I don’t want to be the one during my track session to take the most cones with me! Which I feel would be a given if I just pop out to Texas Motor Speedway for the canned Mazda event without some prep. I'm not so arrogant or aggressive minded (nothing like this comes without a born knack for it and many dues paid) Don’t aim to be the best (or the fastest)….but also don’t want to make a nearby cone-side officials’ day too memorable.

Life for me gets stale, so what started out (as a joke) looks to turning into some major fun for the month. After posting I called the contact for the schooling day. It’s a local Texas Region Solo 2 Driver school on Sat which includes your entry fee if you wish to participate in Sundays SCCA event held April 26/27 at Pennington Field in Bedford Texas. (Sounds like a local small one?) The Man was extremely helpful, I can start with a loaner helmet etc, and he suggested some time at the local Indy-style go-cart track.

I can easily get sidetracked when web browsing and ran into an SCCA mention (never heard of you before) in connection with the Mazda event, looked it up, and thought……..what a fun idea to wrap around the contest. I sometimes feel guilty about having fun (taking the time) and have to justify what I do. At the minimum, checking out SCCA should make me more familiar with my new little cars limits of road adhesion, true stopping characteristics etc…..Which is not something I practice (unless forced due to emergency) on the daily roads!

My husbands a little nervous I’ll get hooked, and become a permanent member. But he grinned and said he’d be happy to throw wrenches for me if I do (he knows the odds). Ran into a quick blurb by a Professional when surfing SCCA sites on driving tips…(shortest line not always the fastest). Smoother inputs often end with the quickest clock time (Vs the hell to leather approach etc). I think I’m getting very excited about this…but we'll see how much the knees give when I get in the car.
Hope I don’t’ wimp out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks