Oh knowledgable ones, please help me find the right HDTV!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Cody Sauder, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Cody Sauder

Cody Sauder Auditioning

Ok guys, can you help give me a couple of options? I am looking at buying a widescreen hdtv that displays 1080i, primarily for next gen gaming systems and hd movies. I am Most likely looking for the biggest you can get of a crt, so about 36 or 34 inches, perhaps bigger if the price is right. I am not opposed to an lcd or rear projection(if a rear projection, most likely the smallest size available, due to price), so if there is a better quality tv for a better price then I'm all for it, but from what I have heard, crt's have better quality, not to mention it seems like lcd's are more expensive comparatively. It would also be preferable but not necessary to have hdtv built in. I am not exactly sure how much of a hassle it is to get the required equipment to watch hd broadcasts if the tv is only hd ready, but if it saves me some money and time, then it is preferable to have it built in. Lastly, I of course want it to be a bargain, I don't want to spend gobs of money. I am probably looking at the 1000-1500 dollar range. I know this leaves the options way open, so sorry about that, but there are too many to choose from, and I don't know enough about them. Thanks in advance.

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    HD-ready vs. HD basically comes down to whether or not the set hsa a built-in tuner for picking up HD signals over-the-air. In my case this was a non-issue. Where I live TV reception generally is so bad that without cable I can only pick up about three stations with an OTA antenna, and only one of them is really clear. So since I get my local channels via cable (satellite isn't an option since my condo faces north) a built-in HD tuner wasn't even going to get me the ability to watch one channel while recording two other with the HD-DVR the cable company is supplying.

There are a number of direct-view CRTs in the price and size range you're looking at, including this Sony to give you one random example off the Best Buy site. Circuit City also has a number of sets that match your specs, including this Panasonic

If you want to go a little bigger and you have the space, you can get some serious bargains in CRT-based rear projection sets these days. Most companies seem to be phasing these sets out as the lighter and less bulky alternatives improve in technology and come down in price. You'll need to properly calibrate the user-accessible picture settings with Avia or (Digital) Video Essentials to minimize the risk of burn-in, but other than that CRT rear-projection is still probably the best available technology out there in terms of picture quality and price at a given size. (Best Buy has an RCA 52" widscreen 1080i RPTV on sale for under $1,000 at the moment.)

LCD panel prices jump considerably at certain price points, but between 30" and about 42" you don't get as much sticker shock going for a slight larger set. Above 42" or so the prices jump so much that low-end plasmas can be cheaper and projection sets are much better buys for the size.

Regards,

Joe

PS:

Found this Samsung 47" CRT RPTV mentioned in another thread. But I'm told that for gaming in particular burn-in can be a serious issue with CRT, so consider that for whatever it's worth. (I'm not a gamer, so don't know from experience. But I did buy my current TV before discovering the HTF and the joys of calibration, and the 4:3 side bars and the word "mute" are visble in bright scenes, which is one reason I'm leaning towards LCoS or DLP for my next 50"+ set.)

3. Cody Sauder

Cody Sauder Auditioning

Thanks a lot, very helpful, I had been recommended the Sony KV34HS420 and KD34XS955, as well as the Panasonic CT34WX15, which do you think is the best? Also, are there any rear projections that rival these for the price? I don't think burn-in should be too much of a problem, but it is something to consider. I'm not all that knowledgable about tv's, I don't believe I have even heard of rear projection crt's. Is the one you mentioned have as good of image quality as the others that I metioned? Just doesn't seem right to cost the same and be so much bigger. I think I may want an hdmi input however, with gaming and all though. Thanks again.