Oh how the mighty have fallen (Liz Phair)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I saw this recent article on the excellent indie-rock e-zine PITCHFORK. I'm sure those who convinced themselves that "Whitechocolatespaceegg" was a work of art will be able to further convince themselves that Phair teaming with the schlock craptastic team that brought us "sk8ter boi" is a stroke of genius.
    I however am not so optimistic.
    Maybe she can choose to pose nude for the album cover in order to further trade her soul in exchange for record sales (just like Anna Waronker did for her forgettable new record "Anna By Anna Waronker"). If she can't make interesting records, I guess logic would dictate that the appeal of her vagina might help to shift units to those who shop for albums using their members.
    -V

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

She showed such promise eight, nine years ago.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Yeah, I was disappointed with her last one out. Of course I'd be open to your last suggestion, Vince! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

5. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

6. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    I think that's all there is to say about that.

9. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I believe I sold "whitechocolatespaceegg" about 6 months after buying it. I've come close with "Whip-Smart" once or twice, but still get sucked in by some of the rawer sounds. "Exile" is still great, though.

I remember when "Exile" came out the same week PJ Harvey's "Rid of Me" was released and the reviews tended to rip on the PJ record, which has stood the test of time much better than Liz's stuff.

It was funny to see her in the fairly odious "Cherish" earlier this year-- her presence served little purpose except to prove that the writer-director had "indie cred." Bah.

10. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I still get the chills when I watch her doing the Banana Splits Theme. Well I mean shes wearing a short skirt and Bingo is..nevermind I cant say that ............. I believe she will pull through this(well I hope!!!!) And I will still buy whatever she puts out

12. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    She actually showed quite a bit of herself on the cover and liner notes for "Exile In Guyville" which was an absolutely brilliant album.

13. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

14. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Interesting- I had never heard that.

The pics actually appear to be from one of those photo booth type things (like 4 pictures for $1)- and she showed a good deal of them on slides when she played live in support of WHITECHOCLATESPACEEGG (including dozens of shots which were not used in the record). It certainly looked like her to me (and very young at the time.)

-V

15. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

"Whitechocolatespaceegg" is the only CD I have EVER sold back to the used CD store. I lost three bucks in the deal and I consider myself the winner!
    Tom

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I dunno, I liked 'whitechocolatespacegg'... I loved Exit in Guyville etc, but I still enjoyed 'white..'. I can understand the 'hatred' of it, as it's definitely much more lightweight, but I still enjoy listening to it.

Ho hum.

17. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I first heard of her when Whip-Smart came out, back when I was first really getting into music. I have all her albums and love them all.