What's new

Oh how the mighty have fallen (Liz Phair) (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I saw this recent article on the excellent indie-rock e-zine PITCHFORK. I'm sure those who convinced themselves that "Whitechocolatespaceegg" was a work of art will be able to further convince themselves that Phair teaming with the schlock craptastic team that brought us "sk8ter boi" is a stroke of genius.
I however am not so optimistic.
Maybe she can choose to pose nude for the album cover in order to further trade her soul in exchange for record sales (just like Anna Waronker did for her forgettable new record "Anna By Anna Waronker"). If she can't make interesting records, I guess logic would dictate that the appeal of her vagina might help to shift units to those who shop for albums using their members.
-V

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I was disappointed with her last one out. Of course I'd be open to your last suggestion, Vince! ;) :D

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
(just like Anna Waronker did for her forgettable new record "Anna By Anna Waronker")
I was disappointed by Anna's solo debut. Strange to think that 'Retreat From The Sun', perhaps my all-time favorite album, almost went down that route. Chalk it all up to Brad Wood, I guess.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Liz Phair is apparently teaming with a trendy Los Angeles-based collective called The Matrix for three tracks
on her excruciatingly procrastinated major-label debut for Capitol.
(snip)
The Matrix are actually the songwriting/production team of Scott Spock, Lauren Christy, and Graham Edwards, the soulless human drones responsible for Avril Lavigne's cutesy hits "Complicated" and "Sk8ter Boi," and whose recent clients have included Ricky Martin, Christina Aguilera, the Backstreet Boys, Nick Carter, American Idol loser A.J. McLean, and even mainstream alt-rock's
noxious Phair-meets-Tori Amos hybrid, Heather Nova.
Oy, vey. :thumbsdown: What in the hell happened to her in between 1993 and now to turn her into the sell-out, washed-up corporate whore that she is now? Guyville was a fluke.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I believe I sold "whitechocolatespaceegg" about 6 months after buying it. I've come close with "Whip-Smart" once or twice, but still get sucked in by some of the rawer sounds. "Exile" is still great, though.

I remember when "Exile" came out the same week PJ Harvey's "Rid of Me" was released and the reviews tended to rip on the PJ record, which has stood the test of time much better than Liz's stuff.

It was funny to see her in the fairly odious "Cherish" earlier this year-- her presence served little purpose except to prove that the writer-director had "indie cred." Bah.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I still get the chills when I watch her doing the Banana Splits Theme. Well I mean shes wearing a short skirt and Bingo is..nevermind I cant say that ............. I believe she will pull through this(well I hope!!!!) And I will still buy whatever she puts out

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
She actually showed quite a bit of herself on the cover and liner notes for "Exile In Guyville" which was an absolutely brilliant album.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
She actually showed quite a bit of herself on the cover and liner notes for "Exile In Guyville" which was an absolutely brilliant album.
IIRC, while that was her and her nipple on the cover of Guyville, that was not her doing the strip-tease on the Polaroids in the liner notes. It was just some girl who looked Phairly similar.
Thanks,
Sk8ter Boi

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Interesting- I had never heard that.

The pics actually appear to be from one of those photo booth type things (like 4 pictures for $1)- and she showed a good deal of them on slides when she played live in support of WHITECHOCLATESPACEEGG (including dozens of shots which were not used in the record). It certainly looked like her to me (and very young at the time.)

-V

TomCW

Second Unit
"Whitechocolatespaceegg" is the only CD I have EVER sold back to the used CD store. I lost three bucks in the deal and I consider myself the winner!
Tom

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I dunno, I liked 'whitechocolatespacegg'... I loved Exit in Guyville etc, but I still enjoyed 'white..'. I can understand the 'hatred' of it, as it's definitely much more lightweight, but I still enjoy listening to it.

Ho hum.

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I first heard of her when Whip-Smart came out, back when I was first really getting into music. I have all her albums and love them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks