Oh How I Wish SVS Was at CEDIA!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chuck C, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

SVS was there...SVS, Inc. a retractible display device manufacturer!! [​IMG] While walking through the dome and other areas in search of some good bass, I found the Carver Sunfire room. NOTE: ALL rooms were about 16x16' with egg crate sound dampening walls. Sunfire was pitiful. They had dual 10" subs set up (I belive) and All I felt was some wind. Macintosh had their new multi-cone speakers and dual 12" 400w subs set up for a scene from XXX. The demo guy jumped up when we all heard the amps clipping and subs bottoming out [​IMG] Velodyne was pathetic too. They had an 18" HGS sub and the 'fly you fools' demented dragon scene from Lord of the Rings. The only sound room that impressed me was the Earthquake room. Even though the president of Earhquake subs was more of a marketing person who said that there's too much bass when the total surface area of the regular drivers is less than the surface area of the subs, They brought the house down with the opening scene from Ice Age. I think they had dual 12" Supernovas or something. Still, they had it turned up above reference. Oh and we met Dr. Hsu...he didn't even get a room! So here's this poor guy trying to demo his VTF-3 in the largest and noisiest open space possible.

What I learned from this...No one really knows bass!

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    yeah, Im here in Indy right now. I thought that all the sound at the show sucked. But this isnt exactly ideal conditions. If SVS was here, they would have crap sound, too, Im sure. Nobody seemed to excited about showing off their audio. It has been all about HD and distributed data. There has been alot of cool stuff though.

I saw Blue Ray at the JVC booth. Im surprised it wasnt a featured display. Just sort of unceremoniously dumped on the side.

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Jeremy,

Given the timeframe announced for Blu-Ray (Sometime in 2005) I'm not at all surprised by the limited and low-key presentation.

Regards,