Oh how I love my AVM-20

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Erik_C, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

Curiosity got the better of me tonight, and I'm glad it did. I have an old Sony 7000 DVD player that I use to play CDs, as it ws lauded as a really, really good sounding CD player that happened to play DVDs, too. Supposedly it has top shelf DACs, so I always just connected it to my system via the analog outs. Well, I got to wondering how good the Anthem's internal DACs are, and hooked up the 7000 via its digtital output, too, so I could switch back and forth between the 7000 doing the DAC thing and the AVM-20 doing the DAC thing with a push of a button on the remote. What a difference!

The 7000, which I always thought sounded great, sounded as if there were a pillow placed in front of my speakers compared to how things sounded with the AVM-20 doing the digital conversion. Imaging tightened up, and everything just seemed more . . . there letting the AVM-20 do the digital conversion. Who'd've thunk it'd be such a huge difference?!?!
    -Erik

2. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

I recently had a similar, but perhaps more subtle, revelation with my AVM 20. A month or two ago I upgraded my rear speakers (I am running 5.1) to a set of Studio 20's to match the 100's & CC. It was my pre/pro's 1st birthday so I thought I would get it something nice.

Following a suitable break in period for the 20's I did some critical listening, making various adjustments and tweaks to insure I was getting the most from these great little speakers.

After listening to my favorite DVD-A's in analog direct I popped a Norah Jones CD into my Panasonic DVD-A7 and hit play. Normally I play CD's through the DVD input on the AVM 20, via toslink, in stereo mode or, on occasion, 6 channel direct, analog-digital conversion, as I usually have the prepro set up for bass management of DVD-A.

At that moment I was caught up in the music and just wanted more so I began to listen, with out changing from analog direct, at a realistic volume (-15dB). There is quite a dynamic range to Norah's vocals as she emphasizes certain words in track one and I noticed a slight sibilance I had never heard before. I was half way through the track before I fully realized something was amiss. Hitting the DVD input button on the remote immediately brought back the stunningly clean sound I was use to from this disc. I then went back to 6-ch resetting it to Anl-Dig and again the slight distortion was gone.

I can only conclude the DACs in the AVM 20 are a notch above those in the DVD-A7. I am surprised the reconversion taking place with 6-ch Anl-Dig setting still cleaned up the sound. I remain very impressed with this Anthem pre/pro.

Wayne

3. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

4. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

5. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

The Sony 7000 DVD player was more highly regarded as an excellent Cd transport than as a CD player. The planethifi.com site when it first started up had a number of raves about it for that very purpose. So its no surpise you are getting some great results with the Anthem.