Oh, God!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Edwin Pereyra, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Yes, the thread title sums up of my feelings too, [​IMG] as another remake is in the works:

~Edwin

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Found it: http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?sid=1703f7d38bbadc62

Talk about a film idea that is protest bait. So much so that when I first read it, I thought I'd find this debunked on Scopes [​IMG]

But outside of the obvious objections it'll get from that crowd, this just strikes me as a bad idea. George Burns -WAS- that role, and it was a cute, simple movie.. the idea of a guy as a grocery clerk hearing from God. The idea of someone as a talk show host with celebrity power? BORING. Didn't Eddie Murphy do this idea in a bomb?

3. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

...........sigh..........up next, Citizen Kane with Bruce Willis or Colin Farrell....can't miss I tell ya...

4. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    Casablanca 2005 - starring Ben Affleck and Gywneth Paltrow... [​IMG]

5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

C'mon, guys, I think it's a lot different to remake a piece of fluff like Oh, God! than to redo the classics mentioned. Sometimes I think people here regard every movie over 25 years old as sacrosanct and untouchable - it's Oh, God!, for God's sake! Moderately cute flick, but not something to get in a tizzy about due to a remake...

6. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Obviously several people disagree. Myself included.

There's precious few people who could pull off the role as wonderfully as George Burns did. Ellen is not one of them. Bad Idea Jeans ride again.

7. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I bought the original DVD not too long ago. It's one of my favorite movies, mostly because it's from the 70's, specifically 1977. I know it's not a classic, but it has its charm. Especially considering that Burns and Denver are no longer with us.

Hollywood is scraping the barrel when they remake this one.

8. GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul Second Unit

Look, the problem I have with this trend is, where does it stop? Or does it ever? Do you know that MGM has picked up the rights to the obscure mid-70s movie The Reincarnation of Peter Proud? I mean, I thought it was a unique little film, but I know ONE other person outside the family who has ever seen it. What sort of established audience, or basis in general, is that for a remake? How many times will audiences swallow studios' copy-and-paste jobs on its old properties before they demand something new en masse?

Oh, God! was not only a cute movie, it was actually a unique social satire with a few different ideas that made you think. There's no such striving to connect with movie audiences today with this endless stream of remakes, and that's just sad.

9. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Ya know, when I saw this headline earlier today I just assumed that Ellen would be taking the John Denver role. Frankly, that would make a lot more sense. Then you could get someone like Morgan Freeman to play God. Oh, wait... [​IMG]

10. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Actually Craig, I think James Earl Jones would do an even better job playing God. I am still trying to track down an audio recording of the Bible that Mr. Jones did. Though as one lady pointed out, "Darth Vader reading the Bible... it just doesn't seem right!" [​IMG]

It is getting to the point where I have just about given up hope of ANYTHING original coming out of the Hollywood machine. Part of this can be blamed on panicky studio bean counters, considering the budgets and the risks in movie making. Another is the willingness of the average slob on the street willing to pony up at the box office for yet more of the same.

11. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

"Oh God" is right -- I'm fed up with remakes. Hollywood has completely lost all sense of originality and it's a shame.

12. Jim Dalton

Jim Dalton Stunt Coordinator

I just tingle with anticipation. [​IMG]

13. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Actually, I was just wondering whether the line in the article was a reference to the fact that Ellen herself is a talkshow host, rather than an indication of the film's plot.

14. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Actually, something like that is probably a better target for a remake, because not a lot of people have seen it. It doesn't have as much baggage as, say, remaking Casablanca. The example that best fits, in my mind, is The Thomas Crown Affair. How many people who saw the remake saw the original? Probably a few, but it wasn't the original that the movie depended on for marketing. It basically stood on its own.

As for this idea, I think it is silly. Course, the fundies are going to have a field day with a God that is not only a woman, but played by a lesbian actor. Course, I think that's probably the point...

Jason

15. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

This one is going to be on my buy list, and I didn't care for the original.

Glenn

16. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

That was fairly ignorant. (the post that inspired this comment was removed..in case people new to the thread were wondering.)

ANYWAY, if Ellen is to play God then who is to be Everyman/Everywoman?

How about Laura Dern...[​IMG].....you know, the more I think about that idea the more intriguing it sounds and not for silly reasons.

17. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Let's see . . . it's the same producer, he has the blessing of the original screenwriter and director.

Ah, but what do amateurs like Jerry Weintraub, Larry Gelbart and Carl Reiner know anyway? The folks at HTF are the real experts.

It's times like these when I regret swearing off the rolling eyes smiley.

M.

18. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

For me, it is the "Why" factor that needed to be answered and not just who approved it.

Here's hoping that Jerry Weintraub, who is also responsible for producing three Karate Kid sequels, a National Lampoon Vacation sequel (Vegas Vacation) and the just greenlit Police Academy 8 sequel seriously has creative reasons in mind for doing this remake rather than a financial one.

~Edwin

19. GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul Second Unit

Then WHERE, by God, is the remake of Young Einstein that a small but hungry core audience has clamored for all these years?

*cough*

[​IMG]

20. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Who cares if his motives are purely financial? Moviemaking isn't a charitable pursuit. The only issue is whether something interesting can be created from the source material. And that remains to be seen.

Assuming a film will be bad because it's a remake is about as pointless as trashing it without seeing it (to borrow from a current thread).

M.