Oh boy a new subwoofer thread!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris Popovich, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Chris Popovich

Chris Popovich Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

I love my current sub, which is

5.5 cu ft.
    Tumult
    2 18" PR's
    Crown K1
    Paradigm X-30
    (soon) Feedback Destroyer
    (sometimes for fun) Phase Coupled Activator

But then I started getting the itch for design. My current sub is still naked (MDF) but here is what I'm thinking.

I want to make a small sub. Tiny. Super small. For no apparent reason other than I want to. I'm thinking something along the lines of 10" cubed. maybe a little bigger. 4 8" woofs. Sealed (undoutably with Linkwitz transform), or 2 8" PR's. (Does anyone make a 8" PR worth using?)

It doesn't have to go that low 28-30Hz or a touch under is fine. (My Tumult is tuned to about 15Hz). It doesn't have to play that loud either -but a healthy XMax would of course be beneficial. It'd be nice if it wasn't a distortion box.

Any decent 8" out there for a reasonable price?

I'm not worried about amp power -assume I'll have a crown K1 available for playing.

Chris

2. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Well, the Tang Band 8" from Nuera should have plenty of excursion and power handling for a Linkwitz Transform. Go with 4 of them. One on each side. Then put the binding posts on the back and connect up to an outboard amplifier for plenty of power. That's just a small sealed box with 4 woofers. Something different will be necessary for PRs.

3. Brian-K-Owens

Brian-K-Owens Stunt Coordinator

4. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

You might wanna try the New ED big 8's comming out. One or 2 should work good with the power you have in a ported box.