What's new

Ogg Vorbis support on DVD Players. (1 Viewer)

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I recently tried out the Ogg Vorbis format and started copying all my CDs in that format instead of MP3s. I'd like to know, MP3 Playback is pretty much standard on at least half the DVD Players today, but do any play Ogg files? Or is it possible that one that currently supports MP3 (Say Panasonic RP-82 which I'm interested in) can be firmware upgraded to read Ogg files?

Ian Montgomerie

Stunt Coordinator
No, none support it and there is basically no chance they will any time soon.

Right now manufacturers are hot on introducing MP3 support, and there is also a slow spread of supports for Microsoft's format WMA. And Sony has its ATRAC-3, which some Sony players support. And then there is the introduction of Dolby AAC. But these are all really major formats, pushed by big industry players (and even then only MP3 is really significant, the other three are still bit players). Nobody has much interest in supporting anything else, because implementing an audio decoder in a DVD player is fairly difficult. It is not nearly as easy as PC players, where everyone making a player app can just download a standard Pentium-compatible codec library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks