Offset and grayscale Q....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RyanSR, Nov 11, 2002.

1. RyanSR

RyanSR Extra

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can explain how the Cr and Cb offset controls relate to changes in overall grayscale. Drives seem to control grays at higher IRE's and cutoffs at lower IRE's. But, do these offset controls affect grayscale, or are they used to adjust the actual color decoder? I am attempting to tone down the reds on a Samsung 3097. Thanks for any replies....

2. RyanSR

RyanSR Extra

Sorry folks, but I can't seem to find anywhere on the net exactly how offset relates to grayscale, if it does at all. Can anyone give a 2 sentence answer? Thanks....

3. Bryce Miner

Bryce Miner Stunt Coordinator

From my understanding: These offsets are used to offset your gray from the Color or Saturation Control.

You will have a different grayscale at different levels of saturation. You use these offsets to reduce the drift of gray.

An example: run color all the way down. Set CR and CB in mid positions. Set Gray. Run color back where it is optimal. Go back and set offsets for change in gray.

If you don't have a color analyzer you may just want to adjust these offsets instead of using the drives and cuts.

4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor