*** Offiicial "SCOOBY-DOO" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael*K, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Went to see E.T. and I had the misfortune of seeing my first trailer for the upcoming Scooby Doo film. My God, what a wretched mess that film looks like! I can appreciate a good parody, like The Brady Bunch, but this film looks so over the top that it gave me a headache from only two minutes worth of footage. [​IMG] And the CGI "Doo" looks dreadful, just dreadful. If there's any sanity in the world, this film will die a quick death shortly after it hits the multiplexes.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I confess to enjoying the short teaser trailer that was shown about 5 months ago (it made you think you were getting a sneak to the latest Batman movie).

3. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

I thought the teaser was pretty clever too. It seems there is a lot of hate towards Scooby around here. Why does everyone love to hate the poor guy?

4. Reni D

Reni D Stunt Coordinator

Im a Scooby Fan don't know what to think of the movie yet. All I know is that a Freddy Prince Jr. Fan im not!!!!

5. Reni D

Reni D Stunt Coordinator

Im a Scooby Fan don't know what to think of the movie yet. All I know is that a Freddy Prince Jr. Fan im not!!!!

6. Terrell

Terrell Producer

You know what. As funny as it may sound, the theater I was in laughed at the trailer and genuinely seemed entertained by it. I know that sounds funny considering how terrible the trailer makes the movie look.

7. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Terrell, the cinema I was in had the exact same reaction - lots of laughter at the trailer in front of Ice Age. People seem to genuinely like the look of it.

8. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Same here - the actor playing Shaggy really seemed to have nailed the character especially vocally.

9. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

There was quite a bit a laughter when I saw the trailer too. But that's because I was at a showing of E.T. and half the theater was filled with kids. Make a stupid contorted face towards a kid and he or she will laugh. That's what their reaction was...a lot of giggling at each of the slapstick gags.

And yeah, I'm a big fan of the cartoon and I'm not mad because I think this film isn't doing the original "justice." I just think the acting, dialog and CGI looks so bad that it will be in contention for the most reviled movie of the summer.

10. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Another vote that the CGI looked horrible. And another vote that the guy playing Shaggy nailed the roll. So far I have been very impressed with how he looks, his voice and mannerisms.

11. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

The CGI gets another vote for awful. Shaggy seemed pretty decent though.

12. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Why didn't they do Scooby like the parody in Jay and Silent Bob Strike back? My sister, who is 11, even asked that. The CGI Scooby looks very shitty. Only Shaggy was hit dead on.

13. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

Didn't Kasey Kasem do the original voice for Shaggy? If so, maybe they got him to (secretly?) do a voiceover for all the actor's lines...
    [​IMG]

14. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

Looks like a bad SNL skit. Freddie Prinze as a blond? [​IMG]

15. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

No one can take Kasem I'm afraid [​IMG]
    This thing looks a serious mess, but I didn't like the original trailer either.
    So, meh.

16. Randall Z

Randall Z Stunt Coordinator

I thought the trailer looked horrible as well. I too will admit that the guy doing Shaggy seemed to have the role nailed. But the rest of it looked like garbage. I can't envision a scenario in which money that I worked hard to obtain would be spent on viewing this film.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

This was the most recently visited Scooby Doo thread, so I figured I'd post this here. I doubt this is what the "Doo" in Scooby Doo is meant to stand for.
    From IMDb:
    Pals Matthew Lillard and Freddie Prinze Jr. fell out on the set of summer movie Scooby-Doo over a foul-smelling practical joke. Prinze Jr. relieved himself in Lillard's trailer toilet during one of Lillard's days off, didn't flush and then turned the heat up to make sure the stench would be unbearable when Lillard returned 24 hours later. Prinze Jr. admits this is the fourth time he has played a similar prank on his pal - and until now he has never been caught. "I try to have fun on sets and loosen up. I went into his trailer after I had my morning coffee and I did my business in his bathroom. It made me laugh. I left it for him and I turned the heat up in his trailer and then I left. It was there for a day and then he showed up and I was peeking out of my trailer and he opened the door and it looked like somebody had punched him dead in the face. The poor sap had to go in and clean it up and he found out it was me and he was a little upset." Lillard adds, "The worst thing was there was no water in the toilet." Unfortunately for Lillard, he'll never be able to get back at his pal - because Freddie's pranks have made him fully aware of how cruel friends can be. Prinze Jr. adds, "People don't get me. I'm aware. I look around."
    All I can saw is...
    Ew.

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Classy!

19. James E

James E Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to say I think i will prefer bad CGI[​IMG] to the perfect animation in the new Scobby Doo "movies"[​IMG] I have seen on tv.:b
    james

20. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>I thought the teaser was pretty clever too. It seems there is a lot of hate towards Scooby around here. Why does everyone love to hate the poor guy? >>

Most probably because of all the OVERKILL he got, or more likley used to get, on Cartoon Network. I don't watch it 24/7, but it seemed like eveytime I DID tune in, it's some blasted variant of Scooby or another. Don't even get my started on the four hour saturday block he had, when he was on the network 37% of the time..