1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

*** Official *** Xbox 360 REVIEW Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kami, Nov 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

two questions:

1. It is my understanding that the current Xbox cables cannot be used with the 360. I realize that the premium package comes with component cables for high-def, however, I have a standard def tv (for now) with some nice monster cables I'd rather use. Is this accurate?

2. Is the digital audio cable a "standard" type of optical cable (as you might use with a DVD player), or, is it a proprietary type of cable, similar to what Monster uses on the original Xbox. Either way, where exactly does the digital audio cable plug into?

Thanks, and nice work on your website!

2. James St

James St Supporting Actor

1. The 360 has a different A/V port then Xbox so none of the cables for Xbox will work with 360. The component cables bundled with the $400 premium pack include a composite cable as well if thats what you are using. S-video and VGA cables will be sold separately. Monster will be releasing 360 cables also.

2. Yes it's standard optical. Linkage

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Thoughts re: VGA vs. component performance given I have the ability to connect VGA to my projector?

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Should we make this the official X-Box 360 thread or should someone start one in hardware? I am curious to see how many of us who re-ordered get the box. I ordered the $775 (w/tax) set up from EB Games on November 4 (a week after the "guarantee" that I'd get one by the launch date).

Ironically, the only way I could afford it was finding a check for $6500 in my mailbox from Microsoft because of the temp-worker class action suit.

5. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Those PGR3 shots are incredible.

7. Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin Second Unit

Is it possible to rip music from CD-Rs to the Xbox 360 hard drive this time around?

mike.

8. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

You're not supposed to give that back to them! [​IMG]

9. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Kami,thanks for the wonderful write up!
    I'm really psyched to get this tonight. [​IMG]

10. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Its ok they are selling them at a loss [​IMG]

11. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

Here is my simple review.

Best console since the N64!

Brion

12. Ken Holmes

Ken Holmes Stunt Coordinator

A couple of questions on this system. If I have an xbox live account for my xbox can I transfer the account back and forth between the 360 and the xbox? In other words can I use the same live account to play on both systems (not at the same time)? Or am I going to have to spend another $50 for a membership and get another gametag for the 360 if I still want to keep playing online through my old xbox? Also, for the games that are being emulated on the 360 can they be played online as well. Can Halo2 be played through the 360 online with normal players on non 360 xbox's?

Thanks,
    Ken H

13. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

Chris Caine
    yes. a pain to re-enter details each time.
    yes.

14. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

Brett
    Well, my brother and I played a couple of thrilling games in Madden, and I'd have to say I'm very satisfied with the system so far. I'm going to have to get my hands on Perfect Dark soon though.

15. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Anyone having lockups, freezes or crashes due to over-heating? Lots of users are complaining about their new Xbox 360s are having serious problems.

- Colton

16. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Can you post where you got your info Cotton?

17. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

http://www.xbox-scene.com/

Halfway down the page.

Here's what it says:

Xbox 360 Crashing Like Mad?
    >> Jsgongwon, one of our forum members, reported that his newly bought Xbox 360 keeps crashing while playing Project Gotham Racing 3 in single player mode.
    He's playing with the default settings, and apparently his Xbox crashes even before the end of the first lap. Crashes on Xbox Live and on startup occur too. He included screenshots of the crashed Xbox 360 (see below - more pictures on flickr.com) and a video of the crash here (2MB XviD).
    A quick look on our forums (more, more and more) seems to indicate he's not the only one. Several of our members seems to get crashing 360s. It doesn't seem to be related to a specific game, as we get reports of the Xbox 360 crashing with several games. And it's not all the same Error-number either (E79, E74, E64, real crashes, ...).
    I quickly checked over at TeamXbox and they also have a large thread and poll about defective Xbox 360s.
    It's a bit early to guess what's exactly going on here (software, hardware, heat problem, 'user errors', ...) or how big the issue really is. We'll report back when we have more. If you have issues with your Xbox 360 too, report it!

[​IMG]

News-Sources: forums.xbox-scene.com(1), forums.xbox-scene.com(2), forums.xbox-scene.com(3), forums.xbox-scene.com(4), forums.xbox-scene.com(5).
    More ScreenShots of E79 + boot-up crash: flickr.com
    Discuss this news item on our forums: forums.xbox-scene.com

Here's a video:

http://media.putfile.com/Frozen-Xbox-360

- Colton

18. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

The 360 definitely runs a little warm and I suspect that some people aren't heeding the manual (nobody RTFM's nowadays when getting a new goodie [​IMG] ) and they might be placing the box on a rug or some other poorly vented space.

I'm not saying that there aren't faulty units out there (stands to reason with such a large sample) but I want to see a bit more data before I rush to judgment.

So far, so good with my box.

19. willyTass

willyTass Supporting Actor

I had a high end DVD player that used to run very hot- i placed a fan behind it and I have never had a problem since (fan pointing at ventilation holes)

Sometimes in their rush to bring a product to market companies make glaring oversights and use the consumer to troubleshoot.

And no I'm not talking about denon...[​IMG]

20. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

All electronics have a percentage of failing units.

This whole defective 360 thing is a series of isolated incidents being blown *way* out of proportion.

People just like to bitch and moan about Microsoft I think. [​IMG]

I will tell you something though... everyone, except one person, that I know with a PS2 is on their second or third unit. Yet I know a lot of people (including me) who still have a working Xbox bought at launch. I don't even want to know how that affects the overall sales numbers for the PS2. How many of those are replacements? Just something to think about.

Back to the heat issue - the 360 blows out a lot of hot air from two 80mm fans on the back. Make sure there's a bit of space behind it so the hot air has room to escape and doesn't re-enter the console. I have also heard some people reporting their 360's fans are very loud. Strange cause mine are as silent as my laptop. My theory is the different factories assembling the 360 are using different fans...so it might be a gamble if you get a quiet or loud one.

BTW I have been hearing stores like Best Buy will have more units available on black friday, so maybe call your local one and see what's up if you are still looking.