What's new

*** Official X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE Review Thread (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Better then I expected. Not the greatest thing I've ever seen. But the effects are very good, and the storyline is pretty interesting.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just saw it and it's OK. Comparing it to the other X-Men movies, I'd say it's on par with the original, much better than X-Men 3 but not even close to X-Men 2.

On the plus side, the movie moves so fast that you can't really get that bored. Hugh Jackman and Liev Schriber are both pretty good.

On the negative side, since the movie's pace is so quick, you don't really get much chance to know most of the characters. Also, anyone other than Jackman that screams in frustration just comes off as goofy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll come back to separate out this thread into a review and discussion threads, but I thought this film was pretty darn good within it's genre. I was totally entertained by it and felt it had some really good acting by Hugh and Liev. I have a free ticket left over and I will definitely see it again.

Crawdaddy

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I agree. The movie was quite a bit of fun. Hugh and Liev are definitely the highlights of the film. Does it mesh completely with the comics or even the X trilogy? No. Is there some bad acting? At the very least, some not very good (mainly looking at Logan's girlfriend IMO). Was I entertained? Yep.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I had a free ticket from the X-Men blu-rays, so even though I said I wouldn't see it, I went ahead and caught a screening after work today. It's a pretty lazy effort for the first two acts, but nothing offensive. When that third act rolls around, ouch! It turns positively abyssmal. Gambit's inclusion is a useless cowtow to comic geeks but will impress none of them - and what they did with Deadpool and how they came up with Wolverine's missing memory was ludicrous. I want my free ticket back, it was that bad.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "X-Men Origins: Wolverine". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
8.5/10

Much better than I expected. A nice tie in to the first film. I'd put it on par with the first film, way better than the third, but not as good as the second. Will be loved way more by movie fans than fans of the comic.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
on par or slightly worse than the third. there's absolutely no resonance or meaning to the film at all. Hugh Jackman destroys things, yay!

The action scene are often very well done and very cool. They're also kind of bland?

I think my main issue is that the film is just a collection of scenes loosely shoved together to resemble a coherent story. Nothing builds off anything else, there's no underlying purpose, so you sort of just drift through the film making sure you hit the important bits of Wolfy's life.

Jackman is excellent though, there is exactly the right amount of Ryan Reynolds. Using Stryker in this film seemed stupid, and that's some impressive DNA tech for the 1970s. How the fuck did Gambit get up on the roof after he was knocked out in the middle of the street, and more importantly, why would he bother to climb to the top of a building only to run and jump down?

Ohh and there is finally a moment in an action film worse than, "where is padme! NOOOOOOOO!" which would be little Wolfie's opening roar when he first discovers his claws. I laughed out loud. :D

OTOH, the transformers trailer was worth it, looks like a 150+ opening weekend and I also got a pass to a screening of a big November movie, sweet!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought story-wise, it was average in that it was a little too comic booky in plot development and not a good cinamatic treatment of the vast source material.

Overall, it starts out okay with some decent humor bits, but the sparse character introductions deprives the film of any substantial character hooks and solely relies on comic book famliarity of the new characters to go from one plot point to the next without too much narrative propulsion.

The 3rd act has some cool scenes but its conclusion is lackluster.

Be sure to stay to the very end of the credits for an extra scene (there is also a short scene about 30 seconds once the credits start).

I give it 2.5 stars or a grade of C+.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wolverine is a mediocre movie. As the fourth X-Men movie, I enjoyed learning Wolverine's "origin" story and it was well integrated, especially X-Men II. But it is a clumsy movie, shouting out every plot event. It lacks the care and nuance of first two: it is simply an action movie. There is no metaphorical layer for mutants as your-outcast-group-of-choice.

If you're an X-Men (movie) fan, this is a fun diversion and does give a satisfying backstory for Wolverine. If you're not an X-Men fan, this won't make you one.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, terrible reviews aside, I went anyway. Interestingly enough, it was the demo for the videogame that reminded me how much I enjoyed the character when I was younger, and how Jackman made him interesting again in 2000. Tino have it 3 stars, so I figured it was worth a pre-noon price ($6).

And it sort of was. It's not a very good movie. It has spurts of real fun, but the overall film is a bit of a mess. Most importantly, it doesn't explain the nature of the conflict between Sabretooth (Creed in this) and Wolverine. They flew through the best bit...Team X, which should have been the first half of the film. That would have solidified the relationship between the brothers, and setting up the film much more strongly. I also think it was a mistake to make it X-Men 0 for the third act. Focus on the main character would have made a better film.

But Jackman is good. The direction is occasionally inspired. Some of the supporting turns are good. Shrieber was also quite good. I'm really tired on seeing Ryan Reynolds wasted. He was great for his few moments on screen.

Overall, I liked parts of the film. There was a much better film in the materials somewhere. Wolverine was a bit soft in the film. A little less hero and a little more "anti" would have been nice.

I also bought the game, which is a very, very fun hack and slash.

6/10,
Chuck

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Its entertaining while it lasts, but not great. Worthy of a matinee price.
3/5

Casual fans will be entertained, hardcore fanboys will not like the manipulation of the character's backgrounds.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Great chemistry between Logan and Creed, otherwise cheap, lazy, kitchen-sink style movie making. I doubt Gavin Hood directed this mess. Full of missed opportunities. No gravitas. Forgettable.

2/5

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Going in, I was expecting the worst after all the negative reviews I'd read. However, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the flick. It wasn't in the same league as the first two X-Men films, but I thought it was LIGHT YEARS ahead of X-Men 3 and overall a pretty damn entertaining movie. The action sequences were great and the CGI was very well done. Jackman and Schreiber were pretty much perfect in their roles, but my biggest gripe is that Ryan Reynolds was way too good to get knocked out of the film so early. Overall I'd give it a solid B.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I watched X2 and 3 back to back this weekend and I have to say that X3 gets better with each viewing for me. There are some serious missteps but as far as the central characters are concerned, there is some great acting and solid action to be found. It's not as great as X2 but it has enough good points to spin when I watch the first 2. I can't say that for Wolverine. It's sloppy and ham-handed. I had no expectations going in based on what I'd read and it still sucked.

I agree with Chuck. It should have focused on Logan and Stryker's relationship and the Weapon X program--period. Instead, we got X-Men Lite. Even worse, it was Wolverine Lite.In a way, I thought about Terminator' Salvation's big shoes to fill. If the movie doesn't live up to Reeses exposition in The Terminator, it's in big trouble. Wolverine had to live up to the glimpses of his transformation at the base at Alkali Lake in X1 & X2 and it didn't, at least for me.

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
I completely agree. I watched X1 and X2 before going to see Wolverine, and then I watched X3. After being let down by Wolverine I thought X3 was surprisingly good this time around. It had some very nice action set pieces and cool mutant 'red shirts'. Hell Storm didn't even bother me as much this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks