What's new

*** Official "WRONG TURN" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Kenneth English

Second Unit
INBRED MUTANT HILLBILLY CANNIBALS KICKED MY ASS! (And I Loved It!)

Just got back from seeing this. Two words: Damned Good. Loved every minute of it! Now don't get me wrong here -- it's not a great film by any means but damned if Schmidt, Winston and McElroy didn't deliver in fine style.

Wrong Turn is what it is. And that may be the most surprising and refreshing thing about it. It doesn't pretend to be (or really try to be) anything but a lean, mean, down-and-dirty slasher flick. It's totally unpretentious and sticks to business for the entire lightning-quick 85 minutes of its running time.

In this day and age of asinine pseudo-horror films made by people who don't have any respect for the genre (and seem to feel that they're above it) it's nice to see a movie that's the goods, the whole goods and nothing but the goods.

Bottom line: Wrong Turn gets the job done with a minimum of fuss and a maximum of efficiency and tension. And that's a hell of a lot more than can be said for any other recent so-called "horror" film. In a world where movies like Resident Evil, Event Horizon, Jeepers Creepers and Scream 1-3 are the best that Hollywood can do, a movie like Wrong Turn is almost a revelation.

I can't wait to see it again. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Not to be nit picky, but where's the official review thread for this film? Is this film not getting one? I mean even that crap fest Enough got it's two threads here.

Getting more excited the more I read! :)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Just got back, and hot damn, its one gritty, gruesome, and great horror romp if there ever was one! While definately not the goriest film I've seen, the gore is damn graphic for a studio release, and the people sitting behind me left in disgust during the part where
I definitely agree with the comparissons with House of 1000 Corpses
There are indeed a few similarities, but WRONG TURN literally blows HO1KC away if you ask me!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Justin,

cool, i'm glad you liked it. :emoji_thumbsup:

However you might want to put that other give away line in spoiler tags too, the one about the girl

That's one thing that I didn't want to know yet dude.

:)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Done, but I didn't specify which girl, and surely you know some of the group will die
, but no problem. :)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Quite good, and certainly arriving in fine company.

The makeup effects are just superb, especially on the Hyena (as I called him). The only false scares are thrown at the beginning, and from there on out it was ratched up suspense and good follow throughs.

The only real faults are that I only cared about one character (the doctor for some reason) and the rest were just walking corpses. Even Dushku was pretty bland. Chiriqui managed to have some fun going off the deep end, though.

All in all, I would give the edge to Jeepers Creepers because I cared about the protagonists, but this one is an extremely solid entry. I only hope that I'll like 28 Days Later and Cabin Fever as much.

Will K

Screenwriter
I have to agree that Wrong Turn outdoes Corpses. I enjoyed both but WT works better as a straight horror film whereas Corpses is fun as a wacky homage to horror past. This year really is shaping up as a treat for us horror freaks. I've heard really good things about May and look forward to 28 Days Later, Cabin Fever, and even Jeepers Creepers 2.

Incidentally, the governor of West Virginia is a bit peaved that the movie portrays his state as the perfect place to find psychotic inbred cannibals.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Saw Wrong Turn yesterday...I gotta say a movie with Imbred Hillybilly Cannibals is right up my alley!

That being said I just enjoyed the film...a bit Texas Chainsaw Massacre...a bit...well its a lot like TCM...but thats a good thing...

Eliza looked great...The Make-up was great...I loved the one Cannibal who was kinda like Igor...and a couple of good "Whoa" moments...like the car wreck...I knew it was comin...but damn...just goes BAM! And the bow and arrow at the end was sweet...

I live in WV and I'm not sure if they shot this film in WV...I heard nothing about it...but if they didnt...which they probably didnt...it sure as hell looked liked WV...the opening shot tells me they probably shot it in Canada...because of the lack of Mountains...hello...its called "The Mountain State" for a reason...but the back roads and buildings and cars on the side of the road and shit all felt like WV and I enjoyed that they poked fun at WV...all in good fun...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I thought that was common knowledge? At least in college, we used to mention it to our friend from West Virginia all the time. :)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I saw it yesterday as well...good, solid horror. I agree that there should have been some conspicuous nudity and something more for us to invest in the main characters; but, overall, it was some good fun.

I LOVE that hatchet shot. Niiiice.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Just got back from seeing it. Imust say i am pretty dissapointed. No, its not horrible, but nothing i would want to go see again or buy on dvd. Did anyone stay during the creadits? There is a bit more with a sherrif investigating the burned out home, and one of the hillbillis, still alive mind you, takes him out. Rediculous. and surviving the fall from the tree in the first place.. real eye roller.
Only jumped once where they found the road the sherriff ends up coming down and the hatchet hits the tree.
Give me final destination 2 ANY day of the week. those of you that loved it, thats fine.. but i have to give this one a big :thumbsdown: hopefully cabin fever will make up for it.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I've heard really good things about May and look forward to 28 Days Later, Cabin Fever, and even Jeepers Creepers 2.
Yah...you've gotta see May. That is one disturbing freak-ride.

Andrew,
Their inbred mutant cannibals, so their like the X-Men. That would explain their ability to survive more than normal humans :D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Name: Saw-Tooth
Species: Homo Superior
Powers: Eating humans

'nuff said.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This wasn't all that great of a movie, but as a genre piece, I'm sure folks that like the violent gorefests will like this film, but the characters were lifted from other gory movies of the past in terms of brains, and behavior.

The thing I was most impressed by was Eliza Dushku's nose, it's a really nice nose (getting to see it on the big screen cemented this observations for me).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Wrong Turn" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Wrong Turn" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

DanielM

Stunt Coordinator
just got back from this. it was decent enough..no where near as gory as I was expecting from all the talk i have seen more gore on "csi" but all in all I was not too disappointed..I did get to see the trailer for "28 days later" and "FvJ" ..."28 days" that could be something

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
If this is a true genre flick then I guess I'll pass and never see it. I always think they are campy. Just once I want them to pick someone that's intelligent so they can kill whatever it is within 5 minutes like it should happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks