*** Official "WRONG TURN" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Will K, May 29, 2003.

1. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I just got back from an advance screening. Guys, I gotta tell ya--if you like no-nonsense, brutal as hell rollercoaster rides, this one's for you. This movie really, really delivers the goods. There's no fancy MTV-style editing, crazy subliminals, or goofy comedy, just a straight-up horror frenzy that never lulls for a second.

Frankly, I'm surprised this is being released by a major studio. Even little ol' jaded me was shocked by some of the graphic violence. To go along with the jolts, there are also memorable moments of well-orchestrated suspense. I really hope this is a hit. The audience I saw it with was screaming frequently and even clapped at the end.

I should stop rambling. My adrenaline is spilling over a bit into the keyboard. Anyone expecting "pussy horror"(forgive the expression) like I Know What You Did Last Summer need not apply.

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Fantastick news, Will. This is what I've been waiting for!

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Thanks Will. Nice to hear some enthusiasm on the flick. Hopefully I'll like it even half as much as you clearly did. [​IMG]

4. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I've been interested in this one since I first read about it in Fangoria some time last year. Crazy hillbilly films are always raw and gritty, and I've expected this one to be no different. I'm also very well educated on most upcoming horror films ( the ones that I want to see, that is), as I am a regular at several great horror sites with a wealth of information, the Creature Corner from which that review up there came being one of them, and I have heard nothing but great reviews for this film from horror fans, and when it comes to horror films, their opinions are the only ones I care about. Whenever I'm excited for a film, I always check to see if my theater will be getting it, and the one in the next town over from mine is, and I will be there with bells on tomorrow.

Eliza Dushku has also always been one of my favorite actresses as well. She is just so extraordinarily gorgeous, and I see virtually anything she's in, even those shitty teenybopper flicks like SOUL SURVIVORS and BRING IT ON. I also taped the episode of Conan that Joel mentioned just because she was on it. I'm very happy she's in a film that will surely be worthwhile finally.

The bottom line is, I'm first in line tomorrow for what I'm sure will be a great, gritty horror extravaganza!

5. Scott Weinberg

Our buddy Justin: the master of the superlative statement. [​IMG] Good to know you have the "qualifications" to be a horror freak. [​IMG]

(Man oh man J-Man do I wish I could show you Cabin Fever. It would instantly be "one of your all-time FAVORITES". Hehe.)

And who doesn't love Dushku. She's been a highlight in several subpar films, though I'd call The New Guy a helluva lot more crappy than Bring It On! (I'm right there with you on Soul Survivors though; what a dungpile.)

I was originally planning on seeing this flick lazily some time next week. You guys have me all psyched to see it now - so I guess it's animated fishies in the afternoon, cannibals at night. (Semi-related in that it also comes out tomorrow: The Italian Job kept me quite entertained for 100 minutes, so I'd recommend it as a third option.)

6. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Awesome news! It's about time someone grew some brass ones and released a horror film that delivers the gory goods! [​IMG]

Man, Eliza, mutant mountain freaks with axes and blood and guts, I don't see how it can miss! [​IMG]

Big turn around for me since my opening post, big time!

8. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

This is great news. About time they put out a really good horror film. The genre's been pretty neglected for a long time.

9. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

Okay, a couple more reviews...

One out-and-out positive:

Juicy Cerebellum review

And one that seems to be saying it's no good because it's so well-made and effective -- very weird. Note to reviewer: If you don't want to be horrified, don't go to a horror movie! Anyway, whatever:

Fantastica Daily review

10. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Went to a sneak last night and loved it!

It is very much a throwback to when horror actually had some balls. The crowd was very into it and had some laughs, some serious screams and a jumps. Just what you look for in a good horror film.

I also like the fact that the not all things are handed to the audiance like it seems is commonplace these days. It is this factor of why some people won't get it...but those that do, will enjoy the hell out of it.

11. Kenneth English

Another review:

This one's pretty terrible. For what it's worth, though, The Dallas Morning News is notoriously harsh when it comes to genre films.

Dallas Morning News review

12. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Maybe it is just me, but I personally, anytime I read for a review for a genre film and they say that it is horrid and should have never been made...that usually means that I will love the film. Bad review + Genre Piece=Non Mainstream Fare...

13. Kenneth English

14. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    If a moderator wishes, he can make this the official discussion thread for the film, I don't see any others about it. [​IMG]

I think I may have to make an effort to go see this, I can't remember the last true gore film I saw at the theater.

15. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Certainly I can't predict others' reactions, but I have a feeling that horror fans are going to dig this. I'm "mixed" on it, which is far more favorable than I expected.

Didn't particularly care for the throwaway opening, but it gets progressively better and ends at a reasonably strong level.

I would have gone positive on this if the characters weren't unrelentingly stupid and the dialogue weren't on a first grade level. And is it asking too much to have a little characterization?

It's similar in part to House of 1000 Corpses, which I hated, and Jeepers Creepers, which opened very well and then went straight down the toilet (IMHO, of course). Still waiting for the horror film that can freak me out like the "Home" episode of The X-Files, but this one is at least in the ballpark.

Oh, and there's nothing wrong with Bring It On (he says, invalidating everything preceding that statement).

16. Kenneth English

17. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Just got back from it. I was pretty impressed. I definitely agree with the comparissons with House of 1000 Corpses and Jeepers Creepers. I would say that it took the best aspects of both films (except for Sid Haig [​IMG]) and melted them pretty well together. As others have said, I'm also glad to see more "real" horror out there. With HO1KC, May, and this...it's a pretty good time to be a horror fan.

18. Joel D

Joel D Extra

I don't understand all the love for this. I am a huge horror fan and this movie is plain garbage. I don't understand why people think its so shocking that this film was released by a big studio. Hell the films seems like it was created by a big studio from start to finish with no concept of how to create an effective horror film or build tension. The gore and deaths arent much of anythign and pretty standard. I wouldnt mind the concept, which actually is decent, but it was done with no craft whatsoever. While I was watching it, for some reason it reminded me of joy ride, just the feel of watching it. But Joy Ride is actually better, which is a pretty sad statement indeed.

19. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Sorry to hear you didn't like it, Joel. I don't think people are shocked by the fact that it was released by a big studio, but compared to the stuff in Joy Ride, Jeepers Creepers, etc...Wrong Turn was pretty gory. It may not be a gem, but it's a step in the right direction.

20. Scott Weinberg

Creature Corner had a rave up yesterday. Today their daddy site ran an altogether scathing review which you can see here if you like.

So far the Rotten Tomatoes scale is even at 5-5. Not too shabby for a sleazy horror flick. [​IMG]