What's new

*** Official WICKER PARK Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
I haven’t sat in a theater and been this confused understanding a story since Vanilla Sky. The story is told backwards, forwards and through flashbacks, finally does a complete 360 and then ends out in real time, whew. I could not get comfortable with this film, the setting and the characters are pretty cold and you don’t get close to any of them. Normally this is a negative but I think it adds to the awkwardness of this film and what gives it a weirdness that I enjoyed.

Josh Hartnett plays Mathew the lead character searching for his lost love Lisa played by Diane Kruger. In his quest he bumps into his old friend Luke played by Matthew Lillard and a young women Alex played by Rose Byrne.

Josh is not the greatest actor and is hard to believe in this role but his weirdness actually works for me. Diane is perfect for her part and does a good job. Rose Byrne is pretty damn good in her role showing a nice range of acting. Matthew’s acting is nearly the same in every role he plays, annoying and awkward. At least half of this works in this film.

Nice selections of songs are cued up at appropriate times and add to the overall feeling of the moment.

90210 meets the Following sums it up for me. I have not seen the original and therefore unable to compare.

B

Brian Co

Grip
Trust me, it doesn't compare. L'Appartement was one of the most finely crafted films of the 90's.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Wicker Park". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I just saw this on DVD without knowing anything except that it was a "romantic thriller" (a description that intrigued me) and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. One reason is that it did not turn into a conventional thriller like many Hollywood movies turn into.

The "Memento" style of storytelling (except things are all going forward) did not feel like a gimmick, but as a necessary tool to propel the story along. However, you could have told this movie strictly linear but it wouldn't have that suspensful feel to it.

Diane Kruger and Rose Byrne were perfect in their extreme opposite roles. (I want to see more of them in movies!) I thought the men could have been better cast but they were all right.

Too bad there isn't any discussion on the movie or about the DVD. [Update 1/10: The DVD review was just posted in the DVD forum.]

I know this isn't the DVD forum but I have to say this DVD is one of the better looking anamorphic DVDs lately. Kudos to MGM!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks