What's new

Official Warner Chat Discussion See Post #2 for Chat Transcript Link. (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Or Fox, which puts out some good catalog titles but doesn't let anyone know about them. Instead they publicize the 15th re-release of (fill in the blank).

I've got no problem with Warners' output. I already spend enough money as it is on their releases. If they cranked up the pace even more either I'd have to ask Patrick to pass the ramen or I'd have to ask my wife if she'll take a vow of poverty with me (already know what the answer to that would be) :)

Steve

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Robert you mis-understand me.
There is no way I intended to give grief to Warners.
In my opinion Warners are doing an incredible job in releasing as many classics as they have and they're doing it in style and with exceptional quality.

I am not whinging, but merely suggesting titles that I would love to see among the wonderful mix.
When you get to my age you start to wonder if titles you personally love will ever find their way to DVD while the old eyes and ears are still working.
Hence my desperate pleading.

So I was merely suggesting that there is a small portion of Warner Brothers movies from the early fifties that are not being represented in the overall limited mix.
I certainly realise that it's all about getting the mix right and trying to please as many people as possible, while at the same time keeping the bottom line in the black.
At this, Warners excel.(I pray the black line is there)

The up-coming Doris Day Musical set should help eleviate some of my concerns.

As for the other studios, I agree that Universal and Sony are a disgrace.
What's happenned to all the old Paramount titles that Universal own and why have all the Columbia Classics stopped coming.
Fox are giving us a few, but are still dragging their feet.

Corey

Screenwriter
i'm just glad they're working on norma shearer's boxed set and hopefully they release a greer garson boxed set. is there any more news with the warner brothers tough guys collection or clark gable signature collection?

Corey

Screenwriter
i know they mentioned a spencer tracy boxset for this year and i hope it includes:
-tortilla flat
-a guy named joe
-state of the union
-test pilot
-northwest passage

Corey

Screenwriter
does anyone agree with me on these titles when warners brothers releases more mgm musicals?

SET 1
-babes in arms
-thousands cheer
-three daring daughters
-the pirate
-two girls and a sailor

SET 2
-babes on broadway
-strike up the band
-girl crazy
-words and music
-broadway rhythm

SET 3
-nancy goes to rio
-i dood it
-thoroughbreds don't cry
-everybody sing
-broadway melody of 1936
-broadway melody of 1938

Corey

Screenwriter

well it should include:
-bombshell
-hold your man
-red dust
-reckless
-wife vs. secretary
-the girl from missouri
-china seas
-personal property

Corey

Screenwriter

good point. that would be an awesome set! a 10 disc set, because it would probably include a documentary.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Warner will probably spread the Harlow wealth out a bit I'm betting. I bet the forthcoming boxset contains no more than five or maybe six titles. The rest will likely follow in 2007 with another boxset. With Libeled Lady, Dinner at Eight & Public Enemy already out, & Secret Six and Red Headed Woman confirmed, Warner will only have 12 more Harlow films to exploit. Unlike many of her other female contemporaries, she simply doesn't have dozens of films to make up several box sets over the next few years.

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator
A question I wish Warner would answer:

Are we ever going to get SE for Splendor in the grass, Gigi, On the town and Goodbye Mr. Chips (39)?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Warner announced today that two Harlow titles will be included in the Clark Gable boxset coming out on June 20th. They are China Seas and Wife vs. Secretary.

Crawdaddy

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Funny timing - I was watching a 2nd season episode of "Murder, She Wrote" last night and Jessica (Angela Lansbury) and Seth (William Windom) talk about Gable-Harlow movies. China Seas and Wife vs. Secretary are two of the titles mentioned.

Corey

Screenwriter
so now the harlow set will have 10 titles. that works out perfectly because now they can have 2 sets with five films each.

volume 1
-red dust
-bombshell
-reckless
-the girl from missouri
-hold your man

volume 2
-suzy
-riff raff
-personal property
-the secret six
-saratoga

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Corey,

Don't forget "Beast of the City" which stars Walter Huston with Jean as the femme fatale. Much like "The Secret Six," Warner may decide to tie this into another promotion instead of slapping it into a Harlow collection. I think MGM made several pre-code gangster films around the 1931-1933 period, so they may decide just to slap them into their own collection. "Beast" was Harlow's first film in which she received critical recognition for her acting. Her acting was widely panned (Hell's Angels, Platinum Blonde, Public Enemy, etc,) before this film. Hughe's took little interest in her career before finally selling her to Thalberg.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Yeah - Fox blew me away by releasing the adventure gem A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA on 2.35:1 anamorphic DVD a few years back. It's a fine movie but I believe not terribly well known these days, and I'd almost given up asking about it. So, you never know.

There are probably quite a few others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks