What's new

*** Official Warner Archive DVD Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Thanks for the confirmation, Jeff. It's too bad because the trailer is available to view online and it's actually pretty good. I happen to have it in 35mm--an eBay purchase from about 10 years ago when that sort of thing was still sold there.

Originally Posted by JeffMc

Ya, I got that disc, too. The so-called "trailer" is just the first 3 minutes of the film. Either it was a technical goof on WB's part, or they just couldn't find the actual trailer to use for the disc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg

=============

Did Debra Winger's real life mom play her character's mom in this film?!? That'd be cool.

Oh. I see:

(Ruth Winger) Did a voice-over on an answering machine as mother to the heroine, played by her real-life daughter [url=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000700/]Debra Winger
in the film, "Mike's Murder" (1984).

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
It isn't that. The framing is obviously wrong on the DVD. It was matted to 1.85:1, but whoever did the transfer used for the DVD did not matte it appropriately, cropping far too much at the top and nowhere near enough at the bottom.

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon ">[/url]

Maybe the trailer is not a "great barometer"...but those screencaps almost make the film look composed for 4:3 rather than those abysmally framed 16:9 caps.

Since we're talking about an '84 film (and IMDB lists 1.85:1) I'm sure the 16:9 is correct...but there are a lot of missing head tops in those two captures!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
BAD RONALD (1974)

Last night I watched the Archive DVD and it looked pretty weak, I mean to the point where it distracted me and I was constantly aware of that fact. Mostly with a brownish tint, and faded colors. There was a scene with a girl locked in a basement, and it was so dark that you could not see her facial reactions, and I distinctly remember being able to whenever I saw this TVfilm. And the sound was poor as well; had to keep turning the volume up to catch certain things, and then other noises like screams would be too loud so I'd have to go back down with the sound.

So I'd give the DVD-R of BAD RONALD a thumbs down. But then again, so would I for the movie itself. Here's an example of something that was better when you were 12.

I have to confess that I did feel kind of 'gypped' while watching this, thinking it looked like some kind of inferior bootleg. Yeah, it was only $14.95 instead of $20, but I still felt taken. I think I still have a VHS of this movie recorded off cable, somewhere. Maybe I'll check it out and compare.

Kowalski

Auditioning
Real Name
xxxxxxx
Thanks for the review Joe. This was one I was considering but will pass on now. It's funny what you said about thinking something was good when you were 12. I felt this way about "The Lords of Flatbush" but when I rented it years later on DVD I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm still a fan of THE LORDS OF FLATBUSH (I saw it at 12 also - co-featured with AMERICAN GRAFFITI), but it was always weak tea to me, even then. Still, I do enjoy it even now... more for nostalgic reasons.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My official forum review of The Tall Target is available at this link:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/294334/htf-dvd-review-the-tall-target-warner-archive

I was recently sent 15 Archive titles to review including The Tall Target. I am in the process of reviewing Green Mansions, and, unfortunately, Hot Millions arrived as an unplayable coaster (you could tell it was screwed up by looking at the disc surface, and it would not play on any DVD player I own). I will list the remaining 12 titles in this thread after I get home this evening and prioritize my subsequent reviews based on the ones you indicate you want the most.

Regards,

RUrahrah

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim Almoney
My 'Hot Millions' was great, definitely better than what I taped from satellite in SP on SVHS.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Here are the remaining titles that I have available to review. Any preferences? I am personally leaning towards "Pride of the Marines" next, but would like your input...
  • The Patsy (1928 - Marion Davies/Dir. King Vidor)
  • Wonder Bar (1934 - Al Jolson)
  • Pride of the Marines (1945 - John Garfield/Dir. Delmer Daves)
  • The Search (1948 - Montgomery Clift/Dir. Fred Zinneman)
  • Highway 301 (1950 Film noir)
  • Rhapsody (1954 - Elizabeth Taylor)
  • Top Secret Affair (1957 - Kirk Douglas/Susan Hayward)
  • Mary Mary (1963 - Debbie Reynolds)
  • Never too Late (1965 - Connie Stevens/Paul Ford)
  • Nutcracker: Money, Madness, and Murder (1987 TV mini-series - Lee Remick)
  • Men Don't Leave (1989 - Jessica Lange)
  • Wrestling Ernest Hemingway (1993 - Robert Duvall/Richard Harris/James Earl Jones)
Regards,

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My official forum review of Green Mansions is available at this link:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/294373/htf-dvd-review-green-mansions-warner-archives

Next up will be Pride of the Marines, Wonder Bar, and Mary Mary, although I may sneak in some reviews of good old fashioned pressed-disc releases in between as well. Even if I do not do a full blown review, I will try to post at least "spot check" comments on the A/V quality for any of the titles for which an interest is expressed in this thread.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks