Official Van Morrison Music Thread,

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oscar, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Though my threads releated to his excellent irish singer have been heavily ignored.
    I can say that many people here who know a lot about music may know about him.
    As you may know Van Morrison is one of the best singers of all time.

So I dedicated this thread to him and to every fan on the forum.
    So now, Let it begin.

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

My favorite Van album: "Astral Weeks"
    My favorite Van DVD moment (so far): "Caravan" from "The Last Waltz".
    Hmmmm... this is starting to sound like a spontaneous, one-post poll. Can you give us some direction, Oscar? [​IMG]

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I was just going to mention "Caravan." Wonderful song, only track I have from the Band.

4. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Sure thing Rick!
    [​IMG]
    Here we are going to discuss about the work of Mr. Morrison and everything releated to him and his work.
    I plan on buying The Last Waltz on Friday.

5. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

moondance is coming out on dvd audio soon btw

6. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

"It's Too Late To Stop Now" is a fantastic live album. I got into Van the Man through The Best of Van Morrison (1990)and started buying up his albums as recommended by the All Music Guide.

I've got: Astral Weeks, Moondance, His Band and Street Choir, Tupelo Honey, Saint Dominic's Preview, Hard Nose the Highway and Veedon Fleece as well as The Bang Masters and of course It's Too Late To Stop Now.

There's not a bad one in the bunch. My favorite is the live one followed by Moondance and Tupelo Honey.

Am I missing anything? I was hoping for a box set or re-releases with bonus tracks so I could get more Van music from his 1967 - 1974 period.

I want more Van Morrison but 1974 is the point where The Best of Van Morrison ran out of steam for me. I'm not a big fan of Bright Side of the Road, Have I Told You Lately, Wonderful Remark, Full Force Gale, Did Ye Get Healed?, Cleaning Windows, Whenever God Shines His Light, Queen of the Slipstream, or Dweller on the Threshold.

Speaking of the greatest hits package, it has a terrible dub/edit on Brown Eyed Girl where they deleted out the words "Making love in the green grass" and replaced them with the line from the previous verse, Laughing and a runnin' ha ha". Not only does the dub sound terrible but it doesn't make too much sense that they were laughing and running behind the stadium. The line from the previous verse was slower because the song speeds up as it goes along so with the edit the song suddenly slows down and has poorer sound quality for about 3 seconds and then goes back to normal. It drives me batty. Like in 1990 it was too risque to put "making love in the green grass" in a song. WTF? This has always bothered me as you can see. Oh well, I've got the regular (correct) version on The Bang Masters and I cringe everytime I hear the censored version.

I would have answered your other Van the Man threads if I had seen them as I am a really big fan.

You see what happens when you don't give us proper direction? I just ramble on until I get tired of typing!
    :b

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Well, I for one think your idea for a Van Morrison thread is wonderful. He is an amazing vocalist, one of the best in the history of pop music - perhaps even my favorite. Like others have said, my favorite studio release is Astral Weeks and my favorite live album is It's Too Late to Stop Now. And Rich, if you like the Caravan on The Last Waltz, you won't believe it on It's Too Late to Stop Now. That CD cooks. We also shouldn't forget his work with Them. His voice was an amazing instrument. And so many of the kids today think N'Sync, Back Street Boys, and Brittany Spears have pipes. They ain't heard nothing 'til they've heard singers like Van, Sam Cooke, and Otis Redding. No offense intended to fans of these groups - just trying to expand their horizons. And my favorite thing about Van - he doesn't compromise.

8. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Wow Paul we are very different fans! [​IMG]
    I love all his 1970 songs.
    And as for the Brown Eyed Girl redubbing it dosen´t seem to be there in The Best of Van Morrison album. At least in my version i only have that one and also Down the Road.
    Is too bad as DanaA said that kids these days think that bubble gum pop groups have the pipe. And also sad, really, really sad.
    But my 11 year old girl has gotten into Van when i played Down the Road in the truck when i first brought it.
    The problem is that she now grabs it to play it on her way to school,so i decided to download from Winamp all the songs.
    BIG [​IMG] for Mr. Morrison.

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Another Van fan here. Moondance is my favorite album, followed by Tupelo Honey. Did "Moondance" ever get remastered on CD? A few other Morrison albums were remastered, but I never saw this one get released, which I thought odd considering it's probably his most successful album.

10. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I was just checking out Moondance and not only is the CD the original, but there is no info on the DVD-A. Its like it vanished from the planet.

I'm glad I have nothing to do with music, business wise. If the typical end user is as frustrated as I am waiting for some of this stuff, the internal (business/legal) problems must be hell.

11. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Neat idea for a thread. I would have posted sooner but I don't visit the Music Area very often. Anyway, I've long been a fan of Van, and have most of his albums. My favorite Van album? St. Dominic's Preview. I also like Veedon Fleece though I know I'm in the minority with that one. [​IMG]
    One question: wasn't there supposed to be another compilation album ala The Philosopher's Stone? Any news on this?

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

13. Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine Stunt Coordinator

I am a huge Van Morrison fan! My CD collection has 23 of his Albums/CDs. A truly great singer. Regrettably, i have only seen him twice live, once by himself and the other time on the Dylan, Joni Mitchell tour. He's a bit shy of live audiences but always puts on a pretty good show.
    My favorite song is Into The Mystic , possibly the most spiritual and romantic pop song of all time. As for an album, that's a hard one. I have different one's for different time's. Moondance is a no brainer for most, but I really enjoy St. Dominic's Preview from that period.
    Favorite DVD moment, opening credits to Bringing Out The Dead , Martin Scorcese's much maligned movie. T.B. Sheets is the song overlayed and it works great. The genius of Scorcese when it comes to soundtracks!
    Later, Rick
    NP: Too Far To Care - Old 97's

14. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

This is interesting.
    The Royal Tenenbaums Criterion/Buena Vista DVD will have a DTS track.
    Wow, i can´t wait to hear "Everyone" on DTS. [​IMG]

15. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

All I can say is that Brown-Eyed Girl is one of the best damn party songs I've ever heard. [​IMG]

16. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Perhaps it's just me, but I've always had a special place in my heart for his song "Take Me Back" off the Hymns to the Silence album.
    Bruce

17. kevin_tomb

kevin_tomb Stunt Coordinator

ASTRAL WEEKS is the best......at least in my opinion...Moondance is the best sounding and fun from that period. Wow he hardly has any albums that arent at least good. Most of the eighties stuff takes a while to get used to especially if you got into something like astral weeks or some of the early seventies stuff to start out with. But on the other hand, if he just kept repeating himself with lame copys of the early seventies stuff we'd all say he was burnt out and had no new ideas[​IMG] What I admire most about VAN is: he is original and could care less about music fads and styles. You wont hear any disco beats on his late seventies albums....lol

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

19. Allen W

Allen W Stunt Coordinator

Does anybody know the song that plays during the ending credits of the movie Proof of Life ? It is a romantic song about "I'll be your king, you'll be my queen," etc. I'm 99% sure it is Van Morrison.

20. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

The song is titled "I'll Be Your Lover, Too" by Van the Man.