What's new

*** Official UNDERWORLD: RISE OF THE LYCANS Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Surprisingly, they connected all the dots, except for one. The one dot they forget is really cosmetic. In the first Underworld film, Selene states that "Kraven cut the branded skin from Lucian's arm", signally his demise. Well, they forgot the branded skin part....

Also, it ends rather nicely, connecting us back to the first film in a neat little way.

A solid way to end this trilogy. They really have no more stories to tell unless they do something with Selene and Michael way into the future.

The Underworld is done....

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Underworld: Rise of the Lycans". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I had to do a double-take when I realized it was Michael Sheen as Lucian because after seeing him in "Frost/Nixon" this was quite a jolt, but it's sort of fun to see good actors in these types of fantastical franchises, as "Underworld" enjoys exploring supernatural races, vampires and werewolves. Bill Nighy does what he can with the script, totally menacing when he needs to be.

Didn't much like the direction, plus the special effects looks a little weak when it came to the werewolves. The battle scenes were average as well. The story needed some more surprises, I guess, as I wasn't too enthrall with this prequel and it's paint-by-numbers storytelling.

But if you're fan of the Underworld films, it's worth a matinee viewing.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Just came back from seeing this one and I thought it was pretty good.

For me, the biggest problem was the total lack of suspense since anyone whose seen the first film is already well aware of the outcome here.

But that said, I really enjoyed seeing this story unfold. Michael Sheen and Rhona Mitra are terrific in their parts and have a really great chemistry together. You can totally buy into the fact that these characters are in love and the film is smart to give them a few terrific scenes together (though not nearly enough).

Bill Nighy continues to be in top form as the Viktor, that damn vampire Master everyone loves to hate.

I didn't really have a problem with any of the battle scenes and it was really cool to FINALLY see the werewovles kick some ass. The creature work was pretty nifty and made the proceedings all the more fun.

I think all three films snap together rather nicely as a trilogy, although I do think Selene's story deserves on more chapter. I think Evolution was the best of the three movies (although I realize I'm in the minority here) and I'd love to see one more movie conclude that story.

As far as this one goes, however, any fan of the franchise will probably have a good time. I did, and I'm definitely down for getting the Blu-ray when it's released.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It won't be much of a review. I wasn't a big fan of the first two. But I am a sucker for werewolves (and Vikings!), so I finally Netflixed this via Blu-Ray.

It is the best of the three films, which makes this one OK. It's very basic, the performances are adequate, and the effects are hardly photo-real, but they work anyway.

Monster-maestro Tatopoulos does a serviceable directing job. The film has about three sets, two miniatures, and a few establishing shots. But at least it is fun, with some inventive monsters, and a little bodice ripping.

I've seen much worse
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

7/10 for fun,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yacubjkc
Recent bookmarks