What's new

*** Official UNDERWORLD Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Duane R

Second Unit
I thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the kitty. After seeing the movie twice already, I don't think Kraven was *that* bad. I realize that he did overact at times, but doesn't his role as a foil kind of require it? I think the the flamboyant, cocksure nature of his character necessitated it, to a degree. It also looks like it led the pack at the box office this weekend with $22 million. I hope it has legs, because I'd like them to make a sequel to further the story and maybe explain some of the things that got glossed over. I look forward to this hitting DVD, and sincerely hope that they put in a DTS 6.1 track, beacuse I think that it would most certainly shine with one.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i think the actor that played Kraven just didn't have the right looks. he wasn't ugly, but he didn't have a movie star look, no especially striking features.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I also agree that in their "human" form the lycans were inhumanly strong, fast, had greater agility, and could regenerate as was shown by Lucian when his body was "spitting" out the bullets.

IIRC, I don't think all the lycans could transform at will. I remember Selene mentioning, in her opening monologue, that now the older ones could transform at will.

What exactly was the deal about the Corvinus line that allowed them to be able to withstand a bit from both vampires and lycans? I also thought the lycan scientist mentioned that they needed an untainted descendant from Corvinus to form the hybrid. If so why would the vampire elder Marcus be affected by the lycan blood at the end? Maybe I assumed wrong but it seemed that he became a hybrid, when his eyes turned black like Corvin's did.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Yeah, y'all are right--I'm not sure why I had completely forgotten that the Lycans are superhuman in their human form.

Vlad--I was under the impression that they could all transform at will after they learned how to control the change. If not, then a great deal of them would change when the moon was full, right? Remember the "Fight Club" scene when the two Lycans were sparring? They were the only ones changed, and they didn't seem to be older Lycans (I guess they seemed lower on the pecking order, which I would assume to mean that they were younger as well).

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
If so why would the vampire elder Marcus be affected by the lycan blood at the end? Maybe I assumed wrong but it seemed that he became a hybrid, when his eyes turned black like Corvin's did.
I think you assumed wrong. I don't see any relation between black eyes and hybrid.

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
Actually, there is something I would like someone to clarify for me. How come Michael became a hybrid after Selene bit him? I thought the lycan scientist mentioned that an elder vampire like Amelia or Viktor is needed for that, right? Selene is not an elder vampire. Maybe I missed something there, I dunno. Anyone?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just saw this tonight and agree with those here that felt the actor who portrayed Craven was pretty weak. Not a bad film, but not a very good one either.

Kate B. was hot though. :b

david stark

Second Unit
Actually, there is something I would like someone to clarify for me. How come Michael became a hybrid after Selene bit him? I thought the lycan scientist mentioned that an elder vampire like Amelia or Viktor is needed for that, right? Selene is not an elder vampire. Maybe I missed something there, I dunno. Anyone?
I remember that line as well, I can only think that Selene was turned by Viktor so maybe that was good enough, or maybe they just conveniently forgot that bit...

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I don't see any relation between black eyes and hybrid.
Maybe I missed it but I don't remember seeing any other vampire or lycan whose eyes turned black, I only recall Michael's eyes turning black when he became a hybrid, that's why I came to that conclusion (maybe a wrong one). That and the fact that Marcus was a descendant from Corvinus. My problem was the fact that the lycan scientist mentioned that they needed an "untainted" descendant from Corvinus; since Marcus was already a vampire, he wasn't "untainted." Again "maybe they just conveniently forgot." :D

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I do not think that Marcus has been turned into a hybrid simply by injesting lycan blood. I would think that Marcus would need to be bitten by a lycan, as that is how one typically becomes one.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I went into this film with low expectations after some of the reviews I had read. Boy was I mistaken! It was a hoot! It was exactly what it set out to be: an over-the-top B-movie that never took itself too seriously. I had a ball.

Hunter P

Screenwriter

Since others have finally mentioned it, I'll break my vow of silence. I was shaking my head when this happened in the movie. I can only assume that the Lycans were searching for hundreds of years going through dozens of candidates until they found Michael. His blood type was supposed to be very unique and special. Only under special circumstances can a hybrid be created. Or so they say at the beginning of the movie.

By the end of the movie, Michael becomes a hybrid via bites by Lucien and Selene. What is special about those two? If any old vamp and wolf will do then why go through the trouble of getting the female elder's blood? Plus at the end of the movie, I think they definitely implied that Marcus also became a hybrid.

Add that to the fact that they already know it is not as difficult to make as they made it look at the beginning of the film. Viktor said at the end that his daughter was pregnant with Lucien's child when she died.

Don't make a rule if you're just going to break it.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
If any old vamp and wolf will do then why go through the trouble of getting the female elder's blood?
I thought about that as well. I think the idea is that in order to bring about this change in a human descendant of Corvinus, he must either be bitten by both, or the blood of an elder must be injected. If you think about it, a vampire would not have willingly bitten Michael if he or she knew it would serve Lucien before they discovered Viktor's true colors. They needed to use blood, and only the blood of an elder vampire would work.

Regarding the Marcus thing--I think that yes, the last shot indeed implies that he is awakened and has also been turned into a hybrid, as he is a direct descendant of Corvinus. I'd have to view the movie again to see if they've violated any of the "rules", but I really don't think they have.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Viktor said at the end that his daughter was pregnant with Lucien's child when she died.
I totally forgot about that. Why go through all the trouble to find a Corvinus descendant? Just get a female vamp and shack up. Nine months later..... baby hybrid. :D

BTW, where were the female lycans?

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I agree that the actor playing Kraven was terrible, just awful.

I thought this movie had potential, it somewhat delivered but not fully. Some parts seemed very cliche and information was not linked nicely and seemed very confusing. Why the hell did the medicinal warewolf guy have to be from Russia/Transylvania, I wanted to understand the key points about the specialness of Micheal, but nooooo, he had to speak mutant...

What is the deal with Lucia(sp..?) I thought he'd have some kind of climatic ending since he was the one gathering blood and theorizing this crossbreeding and such but he just dies...

The ending threw me off as well, with the Marcus drippage. If Micheal and Selene are basically the King and Queen of this new allegiance and/or "family" what would Marcus do? It's not like the medicinal guy had anything significant in his memories, etc perhaps.

I'll probably pick DVD up for some sweet sound staging demoing but nothing more.

-Bert

Brent_H

Second Unit
this might interest some of you...

Get Ready for Underworld 2 & 3! Source: Variety Thursday, September 25, 2003

Underworld is set to become a trilogy for Lakeshore Entertainment and Screen Gems. Screen Gems has made a deal for Danny McBride and Len Wiseman to write a sequel to the vampire and werewolf thriller, which Wiseman has said he would again direct.

Screen Gems and Lakeshore hope to put the second film into production as soon as possible. A third film, a prequel, could follow. No deal is in place for star Kate Beckinsale, though she has expressed interest in reprising her part.

The first film earned $21.8 million last weekend, Screen Gems' best opening for a film ever.

----

Being that Len is Kate's fiance.....he is sure to convince her to return. Right? :)

Todd K

Second Unit
I'd almost prefer seeing a prequel set back during the beginning of the Lycan-Vampire war.
Sorry I can't provide the source (may actually be in this thread), but I read recently that they would like to have flashbacks in the next film to the start of the war.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks