***Official UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN Review Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Michael Reuben, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

This thread is the Official Review Thread for "Under the Tuscan Sun". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

M.

2. Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves Supporting Actor

It is so surpirsing! We went to the preview with little enthusiasm having not heard too much about "Under The Tuscan Sun" but thank fully we perseverved as the showing sold-out just after our tickets were given to us. We laid witness to a movie that ranks among one of my favorite movies of this year. "Under the Tuscan Sun" started with my eyes and worked its magic of wonder through my veins into my heart! Diane Lane's performance is worthy of an Oscar nomination and win. She was good in "Unfaithful" but she is GREAT in this. Sexy but sweet as well. She transforms through her stages of desperate grief after a divorce into the sparkle of delight. Like the spring season of Tuscanny, she flowers and blooms bringing new life to a screen character unlike any other she has played. The supporting cast play like the pages in a book for Lane's writer character, Francis, to envision, dream with, and live through. "Under the Tuscan Sun" is a must see movie of the fall season. Yes, it is a "chick-flick" but it isn't sappy or sentimental and I enjoyed it very much despite NOT being a "chick-flick" fan. Guys... you do not need to be afraid it is not as cliched as the trailer makes out. The cinema photography sent me on the journey of a lifetime; transporting me to Italy for an amazing two hours. The colorful landscape vividly paints a memory on the viewers mindseye for future pleasure and escape! After the short comings of all the other movies out of Hollywood lately, "Under the Tuscan Sun" is undoubtedly a classy movie that entertains and joys us. It is enjoyable and dramatic and the scenery is breathtaking. I am a Diane Lane fan so I might be a bit lopsided but I can't see how anyone could dislike this movie. It may not be their "thing" but it is a likable and enjoyable and wellmade film all the same. [​IMG]

3. Rickhard Copley

We went last night. It was packed out so we had to sit seperately which was a bumber. Having said that we both enjoyed the film. Far far better than expected and very funny at times. Worth a look.

Diane Lane plays Frances Mayes who is a book critic and writer. Over the course of a few weeks she finds out her husband is leaving her for a younger girl and they then divorce with the husband winning a settlement including their house (which was anothet love of her life). Frances hits rock bottom and moves into a San Francisco apartment building where other sad. lonely people are staying. Lane is superb throughout her turmoil and distress. Her two gay friends buy her a ticket for a tour of Tuscany. Frances doesn't want to go, but eventually does. Once there she starts the slow and sometimes painful job of rebuilding an old villa and her own shattered life. The acting was superb throughout with Lane giving a splendid performance. She is the focus of this movie and holds the audince tightly in her hand. The other characters are very funny and so are some of the situations they all find themselves in. There are many references and homages to other classic movies within 'Tuscan Sun'... see if you can spot them. Fellini is definately one of them! All in all a very enjoyable and heartfelt film. Worth a look on the big screen due to the superb vistas and visuals. This is one beautiful looking film with great acting and a story that avoids cliche very well.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I thought it was good, solid film of picking up the pieces and getting your life back on the tracks. Fans of Diane Lane won't be disappointed, even though the film doesn't seem to have enough "meat" on its bones. The travel log aspect of the film is fine, makes for a lovely backdrop, that's for sure. Sandra Oh practically steal every scene she's in.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

This is the Official Review thread. Discussion of, or comments on, reviews posted in this thread should be be directed to the Official Discussion thread (link posted above).

M.

6. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Good movie. Surprised not to see many reviews here.
    Nice little movie with enjoyable characters and great scenery.