What's new

*** Official "TRAINING DAY" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Training Day". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Training Day" should be posted to this thread .
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on October 05, 2001 at 12:48 PM]

DennisHP

Second Unit
I don't like Denzel Washington any more.
Which, to me, means he plays a real good bad guy. His characture is ruthless while smiling. Just the type of guy you can't trust further than you can pee.
Quite the departure from his previous parts.
[Edited last by DennisHP on October 05, 2001 at 04:30 PM]

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Denzel was the total package in his role as Alphonso in this film. He was very good with the psychological "testing" of his new training cadet (Ethan Hawke's character). Denzel was very convincing in the role, and had me rolling at some of the stuff that came out of his character's mouth.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
And it looks like his excellent work is being rewarded. #1 for the weekend (little surprise) and $24.2 million to boot (his largest). Not bad for an October release.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
(spoiler)
i didn't like the final death scene... way too hollywood. BAD LEIUTENANT (sp?) had a much better one.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
The academy snubbed Denzel in Malcolm X, The Hurricane and Remember The Titans but this is the kind of stereotypical role they will probably give him an Oscar for.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I enjoyed the film up until the point where Hoyt went looking for Alonzo. The movie raised some interesting questions up to that point, but after that the movie was contrived and ridiculous.
Who was the woman that played Alonzo's mistress? She looks familiar.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I liked the scene with Ethan Hawke in the bathtub ready to be blown away, trying to prove he saved the girl from being raped.
I almost thought he was in trouble, that girl wasn't fessing up.
Looking foward to the DVD!
------------------

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I'd hardly call this a stereotypical role. Bad cop roles with any depth are rare. The closest thing I can come up with to Denzel's character here is Vic Mackey on The Shield, and that's not all that close.

Martice

Screenwriter
In regards to Denzel being snubbed for past works goes, I agree however, Denzel has always been known to play honorable characters but him playing and pulling off the bad guy role is like Meg Ryan playing the 'Bitch from hell' and pulling it off on the level in which Denzel did. Both have been type cast and since Denzel played the part so well, he truely deserved the recognition he gained for Traning Day.

What makes it even more remarkable is that Denzel has been so successful without a big name leading lady on his side. He has never had the luxury to play the hero to a female counter part in any of his films. That in it self is a huge acheivement especially knowing hollywood likes to pair off their most successful male and female counterparts for huge pay days at the box office.

Job well done.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Bump.

My enjoyment of and appreciation for this film has deepened over the years.

With the significant, much-discussed caveat that Darby Shaw and Gray Grantham--Julia and Denzel's characters in Pelican Brief--are most decidedly not romantically involved.

Music question: I love the music heard when Jake and Alonzo are walking up into Smiley's house (where Alonzo abandons Jake so Smiley and his crew can kill him). It's obviously not Mark Mancina's score, but rather source music. Does someone know what song it is and whether it is on the soundtrack CD?

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
At that point, I thought Jake had "fallen in line" with what Alonzo was doing all that day. Why would he set up Jake to be killed by Smiley and his crew? I didn't quite get why that was necessary?

(Admin note - don't post spoilers in thread titles, that's inconsiderate.)

(Add'l admin note: And if there's an official discussion thread, please use it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks